_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OIF M113A2 Maint
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC
Good day troops!

This next build is going to be donated to be included in the Thunder Run dio being unveiled next spring at the Fort Stewart Museum.

Now, what I'm looking for is the instructions for the Academy A2, as I have the A3.

Also, as this is a maint track, how many crew and where would they be during the trip to the airport?

This is just the beginning as I will have ALOT of questions during this build.

cheers
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hi Richard

You can take a look here :
http://www.mojehobby.pl/products/Transporter-Opancerzony-M113A2.html
for the M113A2 kit instructions.

When you say "maint track", do you mean "engineer track" ? If so a typical combat engineer squad with a M113 consists of 8 soldiers : driver + TC + 6 dismounted sappers.

HTH

Frenchy
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hi Frenchy, Hi Everybody:

Rick is building a company maintenance track. This was an M113 dedicated to an armor company and followed and fought with the company. These guys could handle more complicted repairs that the crews could not do. Thus, during the thunder runs these tracks participated along with the medic tracks and company 1st sgt tracks. There were also air liaison tracks but I think they were brigade assets. Then there were Bradley BFISTs that were artillery fire support vehicles each company had. So, the thunder runs had M1A1s, Bradleys, and M113s, at least the first one. The second TR had additional soft vehicles too since the whole brigade was involved.

Anyway, in Rick's track there would be a buttoned up driver, and exposed TC in DCUs with a woodland camo IBA vest, maybe night vision mount on his CVC, and then I am not sure how many guys in the back providing fire support. If they did it like engineers, there was at least one SAW, maybe more, and probably at least one guy w/ a grenade launcher attached to his M4 or M16.

Photos of these tracks are lacking, and it would be interesting to know what was carried externally considering their role.

Bob
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:05 AM UTC
Rick, the Eduard Desert Storm M113A2 for the Tamiya kit would be very good for your build too. Everything fits the Academy kit. I used it on my M113A3 build and it was a great addition. Very helpful with the poor .50 caliber, missing grille screens, and poor light stands of the kit. And added detail like latches and stuff really add nicely to the finish.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:25 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

Robert, which figures would you recommend to use for the fire support guys?

As a former vehicle tech in the Canadian Military i have done three overseas tours as a mechanic so I'm pretty knowledgable with what to bring along. Our Mobile Repair Teams (MRT's) would only have two in the track, a driver and CC. The rest of the space would be for spare parts, tools and equipment to carry out their maint role.

cheers
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, in Rick's track there would be a buttoned up driver, and exposed TC in DCUs with a woodland camo IBA vest, maybe night vision mount on his CVC, and then I am not sure how many guys in the back providing fire support. If they did it like engineers, there was at least one SAW, maybe more, and probably at least one guy w/ a grenade launcher attached to his M4 or M16.

When I was in, the Maintenance section wasn't issued anything larger then a M16 with a M203 attached to it.

As for Fire Support, I'd be surprised to see anyone in the back...I know when I was a mechanic in a Bradley Battalion, we would be lucky to have enough people to go around for all the maintenance section vehicles. We had a M88A1, a M113A3, a 5 ton tool truck and I think we might have even had a Humvee also...figuring at least 2 people per vehicle, you'd be lucky to have any extras to stick in back.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys,

Robert, which figures would you recommend to use for the fire support guys?

DML had decent US Marines in IBA vests back around the time of OIF. The only thing is that MAYBE some or all of the guys in the back would have worn CVCs too. I know in the 1st Sgt track the guys in the back were wearing CVCs. The engineers had 4 guys in the back and photos show at least one guy wearing a CVC and the rest in kevlars. For your poses I would suggest firing or at the ready. Relaxed would look out of place.

Also, the Tamiya stowage kit with cots, sleeping bags, packs,etc is highly recommended. It has just about everything you will need outside of the maintenance specific stuff. Those side racks and roof had much of that stuff.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks Robert for the explainations about the "Maintenance Track".

Frenchy
jvazquez
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 03:12 AM UTC
Rick, I'm about do the same M113 vehicle myself (alhtough not a thunder run one), and I'm going to try and scratch build the steering area for the A3 since I believe this kit has the old incorrect stick steering.
My question is what do you need the A2 instructions for? Only asking because this may help my build as well.

Thanks

Jim
jvazquez
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
Nevermind. I see your backdating it to an A2.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
As as been noted, usually a maintanenace track would have only 2-3 guys in it. The rest of the rear area would be full of tools, tool boxes, parts, etc.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
Just for the records: the Academy M113 A3 could not be build as an A3 OOTB. It lacks the frontal add-on armor and the new hinges for the rear door.

Hans-Hermann
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just for the records: the Academy M113 A3 could not be build as an A3 OOTB. It lacks the frontal add-on armor and the new hinges for the rear door.

Hans-Hermann

It needs more work than just that to be built as an A3. Check out Pavel's M113A3 build to see what all has to be added.
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
Your dead on. Man power on those tracks wasdetermined by available maintenece personnel at the time of the run. It could have been a full compliment, or driver, TC, and two in the back with weapons for cover fire.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
Just got started on it today

Still need some direction with regards to figures

cheers
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 - 04:34 PM UTC
For figures, you have a few options. They could have been wearing NOMEX CVCs and IBAS vests (Alpine's OIF tankers) or DCUs and IBAS (Dragon's Modern Marines w/CVC heads added). Or either CVCs or DCUs with CVC blast vests (Dragon's ODS US Tank Crew). Its really up to you.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi Gino,

I know that there is a lot more work involved in a real M113 A3. I have one track of 1-4 Infantry (OPFOR) on my desk, as seen on Saber Junction FTX.
BTW Any one who thinks that we need an up-to-date M113, please raise hands!

Hans-Hermann
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW Any one who thinks that we need an up-to-date M113, please raise hands!

+ 1 (I'm not in the picture )

Frenchy
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Got the base coat down in the interior, added some footman loops, wiring and stuff. Long ways to go yet

cheers
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 04:56 AM UTC
Grate so far...
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
Nice work on the belly plate and drain holes. Did you measure or just eyeball it?

Paul
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 09:32 AM UTC

Thanks fellas, more pics later tonight.

Quoted Text

Nice work on the belly plate and drain holes. Did you measure or just eyeball it?

Paul

I just eyeballed it. Chances are it won't be seen anyway LOL. The inspection plate started life as a T-72 spotlight cover

cheers
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:54 PM UTC
Got most of the interior paint work done, still some tiny details to add like radio cables.

I really don't like the way the front lights are in the kit. Going to rebuild the mounts.

Did a basic pin wash with india ink and Tamiya acrylic thinner.

Still have to build the seat cushions

Also, I have a Yoshida Designs M113 PE set, does anyone have the instructions?

cheers
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:29 PM UTC
Hey Rick,
Check your hotmail account...
Looking good,

Jim
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Rick,
Check your hotmail account...
Looking good,

Jim

Thanks Jim, printed them off this morning! I doubt I would have figured out the smaller latches and brackets with these LOL.

cheers
 _GOTOTOP