Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Italian Ariete Tankers North Africa
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 02:24 PM UTC
Mike,
What color did you use for the blue uniforms?
Thanks, Dan
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 02:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,
What color did you use for the blue uniforms?
Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan,

The oil colors I used were titanium white, black, indigo, and Prussian blue (very little). I did the very dark shadows with black and indigo. The mid-tones are indigo and Prussian blue and then white was added to that for the highlights.

Remember that these oil colors were painted on an acrylic undercoat of Citadel Base: Stegadon Scale Green (a turquoise color in Citadel's "new" line of paints).

The figures were originally primed with Tamiya flat white, and then I airbrushed flat black from the bottoms to establish the darkest shadows that would blend / fade into the flat black interior of the tank. The Citadel undercoat was added over this pre-shading.

HTH!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC
Thanks Mike. I have a MV figure from their L6/40 set that needs painting.
Dan
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Well, I've finally finished these guys, so some "happy snaps" are in order.

First up is the crewman. Remember that this guy is leaning out of the side hatch of the M13/40 and his lower torso and hips have been shaped to fit over the interior edge of the hull sponson and across a transverse brace that I've added inside the tank to straighten out a warp in the lower hull.

The commander is sitting in the turret hatch with his legs dangling into the turret. Hopefully his lower legs and feet will pretty much "disappear" into the flat black interior of the tank.

Finally, the motorcycle rider. He fits the Model Victoria "Gilera LTE 500" bike and so the saddle has been molded onto his bottom.

This pretty much concludes the figure "chapter" of this build. I'll post up a couple pics of the motorcycle in the thread that I started for it some time ago.

Happy modeling!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 08:45 AM UTC
Brilliant stuff Mike and thanks for sharing. I look foreward to seeing them in person as soon as I can get rid of this flu.

Keith.
clayocker
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
I think they are some of the best painted figures I have ever seen - brilliant work
stamey
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:24 PM UTC
They ARE the best figures I have ever seen!!! Great stuff Mike.

Scott
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 11:17 PM UTC
Mike those figures are simply world class- I reckon the color of Italian uniforms and equipment (like the fancy helmet on the dispatch rider) are probably some of the most difficult WW2 subjects to do and even harder to get them looking exactly right but you've managed it with some flair. The expressions on the faces are brought to life so well- the skin tones are spot on and every little detail in their uniforms and equipment is just great to see. Congratulations on thise pieces of art- I can't wait to see them all in place in the scene!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
It's hard to imagine but these are better than your Alpini dude. Each project that you undertake gets better and better.
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

I really enjoyed painting these figgies, especially the excellent Hornet heads and the Model Victoria rider. The sculpting was wonderful on those, and good sculpting makes all the difference!

@ Keith: Sorry to hear that you're still under the weather, my friend. Hope you're feeling better today and that you don't miss your weekend getaway!

@Clayton: Thanks for the complements!

@Scott: You too! We missed you this weekend in Atlanta, but I did pick-up your show tee-shirt for you.

@Karl: Thank, you, sir. I'm really looking forward to finishing up this vignette and am glad that I've gotten the figures done finally.

Although not reflected in these posts, the research effort for the M13/40 was, for me, of epic proportions.

I've been working on this project for over a year now. It's definitely time to move on to a new subject when I start dreaming about differences in Italian medium tank series production!

@Jerry: Thanks. As I've said, I'm trying to up my game in so far as my figure painting goes. I guess one figure at a time describes it...

This last weekend, I attended the Atlanta AMPS Regional hosted in conjunction with the Atlanta Military Figure Society's annual show. The quality of work on the figure side of this event has always been both a humbling and motivating experience for me each time I go. This year was no exception. There was some eye-popping work there.

But I do think that I've at least progressed to the point where I'm not ashamed to exhibit my work in the same venue with some of those world-class figure painters.

Happy modeling!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

I really enjoyed painting these figgies, especially the excellent Hornet heads and the Model Victoria rider. The sculpting was wonderful on those, and good sculpting makes all the difference!

@ Keith: Sorry to hear that you're still under the weather, my friend. Hope you're feeling better today and that you don't miss your weekend getaway!

@Clayton: Thanks for the complements!

@Scott: You too! We missed you this weekend in Atlanta, but I did pick-up your show tee-shirt for you.

@Karl: Thank, you, sir. I'm really looking forward to finishing up this vignette and am glad that I've gotten the figures done finally.

Although not reflected in these posts, the research effort for the M13/40 was, for me, of epic proportions.

I've been working on this project for over a year now. It's definitely time to move on to a new subject when I start dreaming about differences in Italian medium tank series production!

@Jerry: Thanks. As I've said, I'm trying to up my game in so far as my figure painting goes. I guess one figure at a time describes it...

This last weekend, I attended the Atlanta AMPS Regional hosted in conjunction with the Atlanta Military Figure Society's annual show. The quality of work on the figure side of this event has always been both a humbling and motivating experience for me each time I go. This year was no exception. There was some eye-popping work there.

But I do think that I've at least progressed to the point where I'm not ashamed to exhibit my work in the same venue with some of those world-class figure painters.

Happy modeling!

Thanks man,we have an event up here at Valley Forge like that every year. The figures and displays are mind numbingly good. I would class it more an art exibition the stuff gets so good. Original sculptures abound. I actually threw my entry away last time I displayed there as I was ashamed of myself for making the attempt. Wish I had the funds to attend an amps show,not that I would summon the courage to enter,but it would be cool to see the work and the vendors. I went to Aberdeen a few times when it was held there. back when Christ was a corporal.
J

J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hey Jer, I hope we can catch back up to one another some time. It'd be nice to see ya and swap some "No, sh*t, there I was..." stories about our time in Fayet-nam and the old Lafayette Scale Modelers.

For anyone interested, I've put up a couple of new in-progress photos of the Gilera LTE-500 bike:

Armorama::Model Victoria :Gilera LTE 500" with Rider

It's a sweet little kit and the rider fits it like a glove.

Here're a couple of "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" pics of the rider test fitted to the bike.

Happy modeling!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 03:58 AM UTC
Did that bike come with PE spokes and stuff? Or did you rob those from another kit?
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did that bike come with PE spokes and stuff? Or did you rob those from another kit?
J

Hi Jerry,

The bike is a very nice, complete little kit from Model Victoria. It's all resin and PE with decals. The spokes are PE that come with the kit. There is some scratch building required in the instructions for things like the front suspension and saddle coil springs and all of the cables and other wiring.

In this photo, the parts that are in primer red are the kit resin. (I primed the light gray resin parts to see them better for clean up.) The PE parts are a mix of brass and stainless steel (the kit spokes). I did use a bit of white plastic rod and sheet for some scratched parts - struts and linkages. These were shown in my reference photos.

All of the cables and wires are either .010 lead or fine copper wire.

There are some additional photos of the current state of finishing in the thread linked above.

The kit is not for beginners, but anyone with some experience with resin and PE should be able to build it. I was actually surprised that I was able to find as many reference photos on-line, including a couple of very nice restored bikes.

On the down-side, I had to order the kit direct from Model Victoria (no problems there), but the cost of shipping from Italy added quite a bit to the kit's cost. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC
In the nature of "complete the record," here're are a couple pics of the nearly finished bike and rider. It still needs a coat of Dull Coat and some weathering touch-ups once it's on the vignette -

Happy modeling!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC
Nice pics to illustrate the fact that your figs have now become as good as your vehicles.
I have built a few motorrads in the past and I don't think most guys know how difficult these little guys are! You bought a very nice kit there and improved on it exponentially brother.
Reminds me of the respect I have for the wildmen that build these modern AFVs with all of the frames and grates and anti-rocket shields on them without showing a drop of glue! Awesome.
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks Jer! Coming from you, I really appreciate the comments all the more.

Hopefully I don't "screw the pooch" with the rest of the build, and the finish on the M13/40 comes off at least as well as on the bike.

I did enjoy this little build, though, and it has me looking very hard at the new Swash "Indian 741B" bike and rider for a possible stand-alone vignette.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
Ah yes,cool!! The Indian!! One of only 2 true motorcycle companies!!! Can't wait to see that!!
Ducking and running for cover from all of the worlds'm/c riders,
J
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:35 PM UTC
That bike looks like a tricky enough kit to build and detail, never mind paint! I love the contast of color between the dull green hues of the bike and the tan hues of the rider.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 12:58 AM UTC
Stunning figure painting! First class! And the bike looks really well detailed. Congrats!

Cheers!
Stefan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
Mike,

Your diorama is coming along well. Your figures look great! I appreciate finding someone else who uses a figure painting technique similar to mine. Your additional layers catapult your guys to a higher level. My compliments.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
@ Jerry: Vaa-room, va-rooom, put-put-put-put!

@ Karl: Thanks! I really did consider painting the bike sand yellow, but in the end, went with the factory gray-green because I wanted that contrast that you point out.

The early M13/40 is going to be in the sand yellow over factory gray-green that was common with the Ariete's VII tank battalion, so I didn't want the bike to disappear from the scene against the tank or the ground work. The gray-green will hopefully give it enough visual weight to hold its own when put with the other elements of the vignette.

@ Stefan: Thank you, sir, for the kind words.

@ Fred: Thank, you, too. PM replied!

Happy modeling!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Well, guys, almost done with this project. Just a few shots of Dull Coat on some glue spots from the final assembly, add the name plate, and then glue the terrain module down onto the finished decorative base.

I'll post a couple more shot of the finished work, but for now, here's one last WIP pic:

Happy Modeling!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Awesome,stupendous,brilliant,wunderschoen,was noch kann Ich sage?
Wish I could see it in person,
J
Tedwards252
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 11:56 PM UTC
I'm always blown away by your work Mike.