Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
I'm afraid this one is a one-of-a-kind beast, so other views may not be thick on the ground...

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
Agreed!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
Please forgive me but I had to put this photo in. That's my youngest son Eric (second from right) at his first Patton Museum event many years ago!

p.s. This Track was a sweet drive! Handled easy and seemed to float over rough or rolling open countryside!
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 06:54 AM UTC
IHC M5?

Michael,
The picture I found was scanned from Tankograd's excellent Technical Manual Series # 6015. Definitely a good investment!
Maybe Squadron Signal will have something in their new book on the Deuce?

John
dogfish7
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Awesome reference materials. Currently working on a Water GMC Tanker Truck myself, as well as a few Internationals. Want to get the Studebaker as well.

berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
I was thinking more of this one Bruce:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/14668

John
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 02:20 AM UTC
Going to have to wait for the electronic version to come out. (David please take note!) Sorry but the price tag is a bit too rich for my blood!

p.s. However there is the old saying: "the competition winner is he who has the best reference!" So I guess I will have to consider scraping the $$$ together.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey Dog

The Italeri water truck is one GREAT starting point for ANY closed cab CCKW you may want to build! However I mix in parts from the Tamiya offering to improve certain details.

The wheels and tires from Tamiya are slightly larger and have a much more correct profile. Also if you want to convert the water truck to a straight CCKW the wooden load box from the Tamiya kit is nothing short of spot on. (A wooden load box also back dates the truck as being early war - along with the fact it has an enclosed cab.)

Mike

p.s. I ended up with so many left over water tanks from the Italeri kits that I broke down and built a water truck but in this case I used the Tamiya OPEN cab just for grins! (I also had a lot of left over open cabs to use up!)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 07:48 AM UTC
HALF a DEUCE vs. a DEUCE and a HALF

Just a few updates on my build log for the Half a Deuce truck conversion:

Everything went according to plan meaning that I DID have to build a custom driveshaft to run between the White transmission and the GM transfer case. One thing I did not count on was that I would also need a special length driveshaft to run from the transfer case to the front axle drive. I lucked out however, in that a spare rear axle GM driveshaft worked just fine so my spare parts box once again paid off!

I took a few small liberties with the build however; First, I had a spare front bumper from a WC-51. It fit so perfectly - all the mounting brackets on the bumper matched with the frame spacing of the Scout Car so when I first dry fit the bumper it stayed in place just by mere friction, AND it looked good, so I went with that. Second, the individual pioneer tools on the Revell kit are so poorly done and oversized that I substituted the Tamiya tool rack from the Dragon Wagon. (I happen to think the Tamiya offering is one of the best plastic tool sets you can find in 1/35th!)

And of course I substituted the new Fuel and Water “Jerry” Cans from Tasca for the horrible ones that come with the Scout Car.

Finally I added a rack with two more Tasca water cans installed under the load box, between the GM gas tank and the back of the cab. a.k.a. British practice. I figured what the heck, this is a maintenance shop conversion so the shop foreman can do whatever he wants. Besides this vehicle was employed in North Africa so the extra water capacity would probably be welcome. I did not add any fuel cans to the external stowage because this vehicle already has THREE gas tanks: the GMC tank mounted to the frame and two installed inside the armored body by White Motors.

I will be posting finished photos tonight!

Sorry still rounding up the appropriate decals so nothing yet on proper markings but the truck is running and more than drivable!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
John did I see you mention the International again?

Sorry to say but it is still right where I left it, as is the almost finished Studibaker AND the CCKW / locomotive conversion!

I think my next project will probably be the 2 axle, 1.5 ton, Chevy military fire truck with scratch built front mounted water pump. I just found some vitally needed parts among the railroad modelers that had been holding up the project.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HALF a DEUCE vs. a DEUCE and a HALF

Just a few updates on my build log for the Half a Deuce truck conversion:

Everything went according to plan meaning that I DID have to build a custom driveshaft to run between the White transmission and the GM transfer case. One thing I did not count on was that I would also need a special length driveshaft to run from the transfer case to the front axle drive. I lucked out however, in that a spare rear axle GM driveshaft worked just fine so my spare parts box once again paid off!

I took a few small liberties with the build however; First, I had a spare front bumper from a WC-51. It fit so perfectly - all the mounting brackets on the bumper matched with the frame spacing of the Scout Car so when I first dry fit the bumper it stayed in place just by mere friction, AND it looked good, so I went with that. Second, the individual pioneer tools on the Revell kit are so poorly done and oversized that I substituted the Tamiya tool rack from the Dragon Wagon. (I happen to think the Tamiya offering is one of the best plastic tool sets you can find in 1/35th!)

And of course I substituted the new Fuel and Water “Jerry” Cans from Tasca for the horrible ones that come with the Scout Car.

Finally I added a rack with two more Tasca water cans installed under the load box, between the GM gas tank and the back of the cab. a.k.a. British practice. I figured what the heck, this is a maintenance shop conversion so the shop foreman can do whatever he wants. Besides this vehicle was employed in North Africa so the extra water capacity would probably be welcome. I did not add any fuel cans to the external stowage because this vehicle already has THREE gas tanks: the GMC tank mounted to the frame and two installed inside the armored body by White Motors.

I will be posting finished photos tonight!

Sorry still rounding up the appropriate decals so nothing yet on proper markings but the truck is running and more than drivable!

Hi, All! I just thought up a GREAT NEW CONVERSION! We can call it the "DUKW and-a-Half"!!! What you do is, you saw an ITALERI DUKW in two, saving the rear half, and then you graft on the front half of a TAMIYA or DRAGON US Half Track! OR, you can use the front half of the DUKW with the rear half of the Half Track! But you don't half to do it that way, either! If we want to be facetious, we can call it the "Half-and-a-DUKW"! But, I don't half a DUKW- I DO half a cat! Heeeey! That reminds me- MIRROR MODELS is going to be doing a Cat D-7!!! We will be able to kit-bash a Half-Cat, or a Deuce-and-a-Cat or a DUKW-Cat or a Cat-and-a-Half!!! JEEZ! What is this, Abbott & Costello?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John did I see you mention the International again?

Sorry to say but it is still right where I left it, as is the almost finished Studibaker AND the CCKW / locomotive conversion!

I think my next project will probably be the 2 axle, 1.5 ton, Chevy military fire truck with scratch built front mounted water pump. I just found some vitally needed parts among the railroad modelers that had been holding up the project.

No, but seriously, Mike! I think that you've started a really GREAT thread, here!!! I think that once I get some of my other projects done, I'll start on an all-HAZE GRAY US NAVY INTERNATIONAL to go with my US NAVY Studebaker!!!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
Well I didn't really want to make my Studibaker a Russian soldier anyway and thanks to you my Studi is now going to join the US Navy!

p.s. Should it be Semi-Gloss or matte for Navy service?
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Mike, I mentioned it in connection with the picture of your son in the halftrack, and wondered if it was an IHC M5.

John
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I didn't really want to make my Studibaker a Russian soldier anyway and thanks to you my Studi is now going to join the US Navy!

p.s. Should it be Semi-Gloss or matte for Navy service?

Hi, Mike! Every US NAVY six-by I've ever seen in WWII-vintage color photos looks to have been "Flat or Matte" USN 5-H HAZE GRAY... Of course, with usage and wear, you'll see what looks like "Semi-Flat or Semi-Matte" areas on the vehicle. Personally, I'm going to go with sort of an "eggshell" finish- Not exactly "Flat or Matte", but nowhere near "Semi-Gloss", either. What I do to get that kind of an eggshell finish is: I'll spray the color in question with a matte paint, wait a few days until it's completely dry, and then I gently "hand-rub" the finish with a soft cotton cloth, like an old t-shirt... DO NOT PRESS TOO HARD, otherwise, you'll "burn" the paint...

Also note: dirt, oil, grease and fuel leaks will be a little bit more obvious in certain places, but USN Vehicles didn't get anywhere near as filthy as US ARMY or USMC Vehicles... I've seen both Black (Dark Gray?) OR White serial and bumper codes; no White Stars...

I don't remember ever seeing any USN Jimmies with hard cabs, but that means nothing. I DO remember seeing USN Jimmies with OD Canvas for Cab Tops and Cargo Bay Covers. I'm a little fuzzy as regards to Hard and/or Soft Cabs on USN Studebakers and Internationals. Maybe YOU know..? I need to dig out some of my old TMs...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
Dennis, who's on first? Exactly
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike, I mentioned it in connection with the picture of your son in the halftrack, and wondered if it was an IHC M5.

John

John you are absolutely correct - rounded rear corners and a rear access door.

The vehicle was exported to England and then to France during WWII. Then went on to Israel for the six day war and finally came home again to the Patton Museum. It is currently wasting its' time in storage (hopefully under hard cover) at Ft. Benning, GA. at a nearly non-existent US Armor Museum there - what a waste.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 03:10 PM UTC
HALF A DEUCE

Well here it is, Half a Deuce:

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:19 PM UTC
As mentioned earlier, here is one of my closed cab Deuce and a Halves. Its all Tamiya except the closed cab and the gun ring above it which of course come from an Italeri kit. I have posted photos of this vehicle elsewhere but this is a brand new photo just taken last night. It shows the final detailing and weathering which in this case I chose to keep low keyC|:-)

I usually end up using the Italeri cab, cab interior and the hood assembly. It seems to sit right down onto the Tamiya front fenders and chassis without any difficulty.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:31 PM UTC
These cab swapping conversions CAN work both ways. As I mentioned earlier because of all the closed cab conversions I've been doing my spares box was getting full of Italeri water tanks AND Tamiya open cabs. I thought it was high time I actually built a water truck so this one is 90% Italeri parts with just the addition of the Tamiya open cab.

Please note the difference in the Italeri tires on this vehicle vs. the Tamiya tires on the CCKW shown above. I have thickened slightly these tires on the water truck but I think they still fall short of the Tamiya offering. I am in the market for some resin replacement tires that will equal the Tamiya - any suggestions?.

That's another of the Tamiya pioneer tools racks being used here on the water truck that I also mentioned in my comments on the Half Deuce.

p.s. The additional piping just behind the cab, below the spare tire has been added to represent that this vehicle is also being employed as an auxiliary fire tender.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 03:52 PM UTC
A comment about Tamiya gas cans: The gas cans that come in the vehicle kits do not have lids. Why is that????? The gas cans are all new tooling and look great otherwise but they don't have lids. Wad Up?

However the gas cans that come in some of Tamiya's aftermarket detail sets DO have lids. Is this a sneaky marketing trick or just an oversight?

Oh well, it doesn't matter - Tasca has solved the problem for us with both German and Allied "Jerry" cans AND they also include water cans as well as gas!!!!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 05:58 PM UTC
F.Y.I. There is a resin closed Deuce cab available from Scale-Link in the UK as a conversion but for the money I am more than happy to use the cab from the water truck. It is of good quality and after all is plastic which I would much prefer to deal with.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 06:02 PM UTC
I am moving the "Half a Deuce" story over to its' own build log which is something I probably should have done some time ago!
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:16 AM UTC
This thread has been a phenomenal read. I'm currently the caretaker for an AFKWX and an M35 gun truck, and while the gun truck is covered in kit form, I've had a hellish time finding an affordable AFKWX kit or conversion. Since it used the same frame and chassis as the CCKW, wouldn't a conversion, rather than a full kit like the Masters Productions? That kit looks great btw, but I can't afford $165 plus 20% VAT!

Thanks!

Jon
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Believe me Jon I have asked myself that same question I don't know how many times! JUST GIVE US THE CAB!

I cannot tell you what a relief it is to know someone else out there is asking the same question!

In fact I actually built the vehicle in question using a Tamiya kit plus a second load box to extend the load space. I cobbled together an acceptable temp cab in the hopes that sooner or later SOMEONE would offer a conversion.

Photo to follow.