Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the Imagur question, did you click on the BB code (says something about forums) since there are several different hyperlink options? I had to paste your links into Chrome because they didn't work in IE11, but these days more and more websites no longer play well with IE11...

That option doesn’t appear to available to me in the app or safari on my phone. I tried the img tags and it doesn’t appear for me so I assume for everyone else. I tried to add .jpg and tags with no luck.

Quoted Text

Interesting about those lines on the Resicast wheels - I assume they are artefacts of how the rubber mould is split to extract the wheels. Any misalignment of edges will show as scars on the casting.

Not sure if it is the mold is getting old or pulled to soon. Should be easy to sand away or cover up but again on the interior side most won’t notice.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike will be interested to know that I spent a productive few hours today at the Debach Air Museum measuring and photographing every detail of their bolster truck! I've got some Challenger stuff to finish, but will in the fullness of time get round to designing the parts for a 1:35 scale conversion. But I'm worried that a 3D-printed set will be eye-wateringly expensive...

(My thanks to Richard and Gerry for their warm welcome and help at the museum.)

BIG thump's up!

Ryan - Both wheels sets look great!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 10:26 AM UTC
My Resicast Dukw wheels arrived today. You can see the difference side by side.

My Panzer Art Studebaker wheels also arrived. So I am a ding dong head and didn’t notice I had good wheels to start with but I noticed PA wheels are bigger.

Fixed up my post.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2020 - 05:39 PM UTC
A very minor detail that will probably just start an argument with a competition judge at the next Model Show you compete in:

Unlike the Jeep pintle which was a fixed mount in a vertical position, the towing pintles on larger military trucks usually rotate to accommodate great differences in ground surface angle between truck and trailer.

I therefore never install the pintle hitch on any of my CCKW, Chevy, Studebaker, White, Mack or IH truck models in the straight up, vertical position.

(I also usually cut the pintle to represent it in the open position, as seen here, so that I can accommodate the military "lunette" ring of a trailer tongue if I want to hitch on a trailer.)
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 01:02 AM UTC
Same here, unless I know I'll be modelling it with a trailer on a flat-ish base. Nice idea on opening the hitch just in case...

(And that mud looked almost impassibly thick! Woe betide anyone that needs to step down from the cab...)
Tank1812
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 10:14 AM UTC
The only thing I need now for the Water truck is time as the Banjo set arrived and well as my Dukw parts.

Banjo

Dukw

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 - 04:23 AM UTC
510,000+ hits on this thread but we're just gonna stop this discussion in its' tracks and move on!