Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 04:21 AM UTC
I offer two sets of early grills on Shapeways. With Tom Cromwells early banjo axles that he offers on Shapeways as well, these can go a long way in depicting early Chevy 4x4 and 6x6 trucks.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3A2FMR7TN/1-35-scale-chevy-g506-bent-tube-grill?optionId=168613650&li=shop-inventory" TARGET="_blank"> https://www.shapeways.com/product/3A2FMR7TN/1-35-scale-chevy-g506-bent-tube-grill?optionId=168613650&li=shop-inventory
https://www.shapeways.com/product/D2T8NT4EJ/1-35-scale-chevy-g506-grill?optionId=168558753&li=shop-inventory" TARGET="_blank"> https://www.shapeways.com/product/D2T8NT4EJ/1-35-scale-chevy-g506-grill?optionId=168558753&li=shop-inventory
Mike,
HDS
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well that's good news, and yes I use the fuel tanker for the closed cab. Working on a few different versions. I'm sure you have good references for that banjo axle. Even if the ribs are slightly overscale I could probably thin them out a bit with some judicious filing. I'll certainly buy one or two from you.

Hi Robert, hot off the presses! I just rescaled, adjusted (for fit and for minimum thickness to print) and uploaded the 1:48 version of the banjo axle set! Note that the front springs on the CCKW sample I have don't seem to have any locating marks on the frame - their location is determined by where the front axle touches them. So before cutting things up you need to press the kit axles on, then glue the front springs to the frame by placing them onto the axle, and only then remove the kit axle! From what I can see on the web the plastic frame in the fuel tanker kit is no better. In fact, to make a decent Chevy 4x4 I'd be tempted to create an entire 3D-printed replacement frame! (But I don't have time...)

The parts are here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/JGZ7E34AJ/tamiya-1-48-cckw-banjo-corporation-axles?optionId=172241561&li=shops

Good luck!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Dan, I don't have scale plans to link to. There are drawings on the web, but I can't vouch for them. The cab issue was spotted on this very topic (many pages ago) with pics overlaying images of the real cab door onto the kit part, showing how the HB door was narrow, and how the rest of the front sheet-metal was stretched to fill the gap.

I’ve followed this long thread and until I’ve seen the HB kit compared to 35th plans I just take the discussion with a grain of salt.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Robert and everyone,

I've just added new 1:48 conversions to Shapeways to turn the Tamiya Airfield Fuel Truck into a G7113 tractor or a G506 without load bed. These sets replace the frame, and have front hubs that can be posed turned.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3JBW7EA69/chevy-g7113-tractor-conversion-1-48-tamiya?optionId=172833897&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UZQZX4VU4/chevy-g506-truck-frame-conversion-for-tamiya-1-48?optionId=172843216&li=shops
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
Don't know if these are accurate or not...

Full size

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
Great work Tom! I wish I had had these banjo axles back when I was doing my Chevy.

Very glad that pertinent information can still find its' way onto this thread even when it has gotten so "long in the tooth".
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 12:58 AM UTC
Tom you several times mention the semi tractor version of the Chevy. Have you by any chance also considered doing the fifth wheel needed for this conversion?

To my knowledge only Custom Factory has ventured as far as to offer an after market fifth wheel and that one is actually of a later, slightly more modern wheel and leaves something to be desired in the detail department.

(Photo credit unknown - used here for discussion only)

(Photo Mike Koenig)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
Found this in my e-mail just a few day ago. Great little film covering the Red Ball Express with a lot of GMC coverage as well as others.

This comes from my friend Mike Powell.

I thought everyone might enjoy!

(quote)

Hey Mike,

I know you will enjoy this. Lots of Jimmys and other neat trucks and trailers. It still astounds me how many different types of trailers the US Army had during WWII. I've got 28 different TMs or SNLs on my Trailer disc and I've only scratched the surface.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1014415605667465

Are those a lot of 5-ton tractors that I'm seeing in this?

I took a lot of screengrabs from this. However, very few of GMCs. Let me know if you want them, might save you some time.

On another note, do you know of any civilian/street tires for the GMC out there? I'd like to put them on an Italeri water trailer. I might have to get a couple from Shapeways and cut and grind them onto the correct hubs.

Mike

(End Quote)
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom you several times mention the semi tractor version of the Chevy. Have you by any chance also considered doing the fifth wheel needed for this conversion?

Hi Michael,

Sorry I only just now saw your question! I do offer the Dayton fifth wheel, as well as the G7113 rear suspension, and of course a full kit of axles, fifth wheel, springs, and fuel tank.

fifth wheel
suspension
full G7113 kit

There were other makers of fifth wheels at the time, but I don't have enough reference material on them.

(My own test-print is still waiting to be assembled...)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC
Tom your work is the answer to my prayers, al be it, prayers offered about 10 years ago.

Question is the fifth wheel hinged and workable? Or it it locked in that perfectly horizontal position forever?
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 02:34 AM UTC
The top is separate and will tilt forward-back, but it just sits on the base plate so will need to be glued in whatever angle you choose. (You can be clever and drill the ends to take a metal pin to allow it to pivot I suppose...) The printed parts are separated by sprue that holds it horizontal for printing - I tried to put the attachments on easily-filed surfaces to aid clean-up!
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC
BTW there is a bolster truck (fully restored!) in a small museum less than 2hrs drive from me that I can measure - trouble is they are closed due to Covid and so far haven't answered my email. But I hope they will let me in to measure it as a one-off...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
Excellent!

As long as I can separate the two parts easily I can handle pinning them together later.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 12:28 PM UTC

Hi Michael,

Sorry but those links don't seem to work, and no matter how I hit the SW search engine it fails to find any Chevy grills - can you check and re-post some links? Thanks!
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Michael,

Sorry I only just now saw your question! I do offer the Dayton fifth wheel, as well as the G7113 rear suspension, and of course a full kit of axles, fifth wheel, springs, and fuel tank.

fifth wheel
suspension
full G7113 kit

There were other makers of fifth wheels at the time, but I don't have enough reference material on them.

(My own test-print is still waiting to be assembled...)

BarkingDiggers original post, Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2020 - 02:06 PM UTC
as above, works fine, "Reply & quote" appears to break the links, or search for TGCmodels in Shapeways (their search function is a bit rubbish though)
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

their search function is a bit rubbish though

That's an understatement....

H.P.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2020 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

their search function is a bit rubbish though

That's an understatement....

H.P.

I can't help feeling that if they invested a small amount of money on a decent search routine their sales would go through the roof. But they are deaf to any suggestions for improvement. If only there was a decent rival printer that offered similar services!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC
I've been saying that for years; Shapeways' biggest obstacle to increased sales is their lousy/horrible/useless/non-functional search engine.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 06:00 AM UTC
Some of my efforts at converting to fifth wheel semi-tractors:

White 666 conversion using fifth wheel from Custom Factory:

Chevy Semi-tractor using a very nice fifth wheel off a toy truck:
(Yes, I know. Did not learn till after the build that these were never manufactured as open cabs. Although I have seen a photo of one post war conversion/restoration that does utilize the open cab.)

With scratch built stake bed trailer (Italeri Deuce wheels and springs):

MAZ 8x8 semi-tractor (not a conversion but super detailed):

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 06:21 AM UTC
Tom I realize you already finished your beautiful 3D fifth wheel but perhaps these images might still be helpful in some small way.

Victory Museum - Auburn, Indiana

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 11:33 AM UTC
I saw a few of these on the web, and that modern measured drawing was indeed useful! I also found a few useful numbers in various TMs regarding the Dayton plate. One thing I noted was the original G7113s seem to have left the factory without any ramps on the frame rails, unlike that preserved example in your pics. It seems odd, as ramps would have been useful...

BTW, do you have any measurements or drawings for that trailer you scratched? Info on them is hard to come by.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 02:19 PM UTC
Tom

From the book "The American Arsenal" by Ian Hogg

An updated version of this book is also available in either print or DVD form, entitled "The Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles" - Edited by David Doyle and available from:
www.militarytrader.com

I once saw one of the original WWII van bodies running around Lexington, KY and didn't have the presence of mind to chase it down. Note that it has a total of 3 (three) rear doors. A small horizontal tailgate with double ambulance doors above that. The ambulance doors DO NOT run down behind the tailgate but stop just above it. This allows long objects such as boards or poles to be carried while leaving the rest of the load otherwise secured.

Notice: No mud flaps to save on rubber.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2020 - 02:33 PM UTC
3 1/2 ton stake body trailer:
(Have not started on the van body as yet.)

With working parking stand wheels:
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC
Tom, general trailer dimensions are shown in the small drawings across the bottom of the pages. That is what I used to build my stake bed trailer.

Hope this helps - - Mike
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thanks Mike! BTW I just added a bunch of pics to my SW items, so you can check out how the fifth wheel is printed and assembled. Now I need to start chopping an Italeri chassis...