_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Meng AUF1 Build
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC
good day all.
I had a surprise in the mail the other day, the new Meng AUF1 self-propelled gun. It's been a while since I've built a plastic kit, so I decided to build this one. During the Iraq Iran war this weapon was used by the Iraqis so this is what I am basing this build on. As this is a new kit that not many have been built yet that I have seen will try to go through this together. The first instructions were to build the wheel assemblies which were three parts , two plastic and one polyvinyl cap.

I started the with TENAX_7R glue and had to change to a hotter glue as a plastic seems to be hard, I am now using weld on number three and I'm not having anymore problems. The first shock absorber is installed, takes five parts and be careful gluing this assembly together so that a move. More tomorrow.

Jim

postscript I am trying the Dragon speaking software on this build is my typing and spelling seems to be getting worse and so far I I am impressed with the results I'm getting.
pilote14
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 432 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 06:47 PM UTC
hi!
good work ! i'm waiting mine...
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier
As I move along, there is a great interior, seats, folding seat , shells, and powder charges, but no engine so here is the question is there a 1/35 AMX-30 engine and transmission out there? I am going to order a set of AMX-30 metal tracks as I like the weight it gives the model, so they should be here in a week. next a metal barrel would be nice, Hint ,Hint . other than that the kit is building up real nice. I will post pictures later today.
Jim
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
Here are todys pictures, it is the lower hull and what my objective is: if you built the Meng,s AMX-30 MTB its the same, same spures, I considered putting the turret on a T-72 for the India version , but mabey later:

Mabey more later
Jim
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
I was looking at the molded engine deck and all the vents molded on the top and then the pe and there is no PE vent covers, about 10 minutes later I ge an email from Lucky Model with a new Voyager set for the Meng AMX 30B so $20 dollars later and 7 to 14 days I shoud se the set and finish the deck. In the mean time I will build the turret and see if it fits on a T-72 till the parts arrive I have to ask a favor can any one match Mr color CM-20 light blue to Modelmaster or close? also there was a metal barrel fot the Meng AMX 30B 105 mm from Lionmac model design in the add. I added some blood to the project today set my hand dow on a razor blade nice clean bloody cut. The carpet monster got some to.
Later all
Jim
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Jim;

Very nice work, the level of detail in this kit is fantastic. It fills a void in French armor, I cant believe all the nice extra details that Meng put in there kit.
I also built the Auf-1/T-72, i kit-Bashed a Tamiya T-72 & a Heller kit. Im also Building the Akash SAM System, thats used by India also. SORRY FOR THE O.T.!
Keep up the Good Work.
CHEERS; MIKE.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Ah- I'm glad someone is diving in and doing an Iraqi version- this should be real interesting Jim- I would like to do an Iraqi machine myself. Very solid build so far and a great looking kit.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Thanks all I started the breach last night and it just fell toghter, very good design I will post pictures later.
Mike the Akash SAM System looks like a modified Soviet SA-6 Missle system, is that correct? That would be an interesting build, do you have photos posted?
Jim
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Jim;
The Akash is Indias SA-6 that is Manufactured by them, they also make quite a few X-Soviet systems that im sure that you are aware of. I used the Dragon Sa-6 kit too base my Conversion on. There are a lot of different Tank Models that you can make just useing the Tamiya T-72, this is one of the Reasons why i like it so much. And yes i have a few pics of the Akash that i will try too post.
SORRY FOR THE O.T. !!
CHEERS; MIKE.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC
As promised today work, the Mantlet Assembly

and the 3 seats, the tape on the commanders seat is there as I have not glued it yet to see if I want it up or down.

I have a new camera Cannon Power Shot SX160IS and still learning how it works and I am trying to improve my pictures. Night all

Jim
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah- I'm glad someone is diving in and doing an Iraqi version- this should be real interesting Jim- I would like to do an Iraqi machine myself. Very solid build so far and a great looking kit.

Hi all,
be aware that the Iraqi AuF1 were early type and you need to convert (backdate) the Meng kit to get an accurate model. Check the pictures over the internet you wil notice some modifications. The most visible are the front APU exhaust being totally flat and the exhaust mufflers being different like on the following pictures coming from the sites Esoteric Armour and Maquetland.

Olivier
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
Olivier
Thanks for the pictures, but I am missing the front APU I just dont see it, but I havent gotten to that part of the kit and you are correct the reaar mufflers on the Iraq look to be l a little smaller and round. I am waiting on some pe for the AMX-30B to suplement the lower hull, I have a question though, if Iraq took possion of 85 units between 1983-85 Production of the AFU1 began in 1980 wouldnt this be the correct version. I will have to look into this more.
Thanks for the heads up
Jim
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC
Jim,
the APU exhaust is the grille you see left of the driver station when looking at the vehicle. It's flat on the picture of the Iraki SPG while there is a prominent protection on the one depicted in the Meng kit. This was the second type of APU.

Olivier
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 03:08 PM UTC
Good evening all
I have a question about this build that I am really haveing problems finding the answer: In the instructions it has the floor and otheer items painted light blue, and all the pictures I have been able to find at the moment are showing the interior mostly white. Even the model that Meng has made for their shows is painted white. If you are sitting on the fence about buying this kit, I think it ke a nice addition to your SPG collection as I am adding it to mine. Now as for the T-72 I pulled a Zvezda T-72A and a DML T-72M2 and the turret rings are to small for the AUF1 turret ring and to modify the kit would be a perminate process I think I will use the Zvezda kit as both the DML and Zvezda are both the same upper hull, I was surprized that they were that way. and these are older kits. I thought I had a trumpeter T-72 I will sort through the stash and see what I can find. I did the interior painting last night and want it to dry for a couple of days and will have pictures to post tomorrow. Thanks to all that are watching and let me know your thoughts on the lite blue paint on the floor of the turret
Have a good day
Jim
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 06:52 PM UTC
Jim,
you can't see a lot of it in the picture but what you see is white.

Olivier
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:40 PM UTC
Very interesting build - thanks for posting!

Now, what's the story behind this vehicle? I assume it's on a T72 chassis? I have to admit to knowing zilch about this subject untilMeng released it and it's the kind of beast that I could be convinced to try as something different..

Keep going - look orward to seeing more!
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, what's the story behind this vehicle? I assume it's on a T72 chassis? !

There was a competition to fill the India Army's needs for a SPG based on T-72 chassis. GIAT's offer was the AUF1 turret on a T-72 that had its superstructure cosmetically modified too. There was a British venture as well, this time an AS-90 turret on T-72 chassis.

In the end nothing came of it and India didn't order anything.

Cheers,

Christophe
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:35 PM UTC
A friend of mine built the GIAT prototype many years ago, here's a link :

http://www.track-link.com/gallery/81

Cheers,

Christophe
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Olivier
Thanks for the great picture, it does show a lot, the floor looks to be either a bluish green or lt blue so I just hit the floor with lt blue and move on , once the top is on and in the case I don't know if it will be seen.
Here are a couple of pictures from starting to paint the inside

This is a pretty big gun, I did get an update and parts are on their way.
Jim

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 07:07 PM UTC
Nice interior Jim.
Unfortunately Meng got the rounds number wrong. If I can rely on my poor eyes, there are 36 rounds in the kit while there are 42 in a real vehicle.
A friend of mine works on the design of the SPG. I'll ask him if he has pictures/drawings of the rounds storage.

Olivier
pilote14
Visit this Community
Pas-de-Calais, France
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 432 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 09:28 PM UTC
I work with an artilleryman who has fire 4820 shells with 105mm and 155 AUF1 ! "rapide et precis" (french 60 regiment artillery) I ask him when he's return from of holidays next monday !
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 03:31 AM UTC
Olivier
You are correct to a degree, you only get 6 shells and powder charges with the kit so 36 spaces each. I did measure a shell and it scaled out to 152 mm
If there are 42 shells in the rack the the whole back end is wrong.
Jim

Here is the only photo I have of a rear shot of the AUF1
ponpon400
Visit this Community
Alpes-Maritimes, France
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC

i can t see any problem there
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC
The Frui Tracks arrived yesterday and I almost have them done. Thew fit the drive sprocket perfict and I will post pictures later today, The PE is on its way from Gremany Go figure Buy an in stock item from Hobbyeasy in China and parts ship from Europe, supposed to be in next Sat. we shall see. The interior is coming along but painting is slowing me down. Did we get a good answer on the shell count? pictures show 36. I tryed to find a good picture of the loader, but no luck. Prime portal has 4 good walkarounds.
JIm
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 04:19 AM UTC
We have tracks, now I just need the PE coming from Germany ordered from Hong Kong and a big snow stom that will close customs for a couple of days back East.

While I have the time I found some good interior photos on Prime Portal I may work on some details in the turret . As for the T-72 my kits will not take the upper turret whit out milling out the turret ring, so that mod may be down the road. Where can I find some Iraq decals generic for tanks?
Jim

_GOTOTOP