_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
First Model / Diorama
Cobra1972
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 03:05 PM UTC
G'day All

This is my first attempt at a Model and I would love your feedback.

I looked through the many tips and tricks on the web for weathering techniques. I must admit I rushed some of the steps and I personally think I added too much chipping.....

The base Model is a Dragon 1:72 Stug G, OOB. (#7354)
I used Tamiya Paints and a cheap airbrush, purchased from the net. A pin wash and Pastels for dust etc.

Lead Pencil and Texta for the fiddly bits (sorry if this is cheating)

The Diorama is a $2 photo frame from the Reject shop. I sprayed the frame Tamiya Dark Yellow and covered the glass in PVA glue and sand etc. Pastels were then used to try and give it some colour.

I have been also working on a 1/35 Tamiya Sd.kfz.222 and the SAS Pink Panther (that I cannot bring myself to do in Pink, for some reason)

Thanks in advance

Mick

TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC
Nice job. Keep it up.

I loved to see more photos.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 03:26 PM UTC
Your First! Well done sir. I would like to see more pics as well.

Gary
bronzey
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 04:15 PM UTC
Mick,

Nice job mate, I don't feel its over done at all, looks very neat. I'm currently doing my 1st 1/72 scale tank after only doing 1/35, 1/72 I find alot faster to build and great for starters as you can get many done in a short time. Keep it up pal!

Bronzey
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day All

I looked through the many tips and tricks on the web for weathering techniques. I must admit I rushed some of the steps and I personally think I added too much chipping.....

I used Tamiya Paints and a cheap airbrush, purchased from the net. A pin wash and Pastels for dust etc....

...The Diorama is a $2 photo frame from the Reject shop. I sprayed the frame Tamiya Dark Yellow and covered the glass in PVA glue and sand etc. Pastels were then used to try and give it some colour...

Hi Mick, it's nice to know you!

First, welcome to this kind of fun! It's very good for the your first time and you should know that I never as good as yours when I'm performing on building figures at my first time

Don't ever feel guilty when you use a cheap or even scrap material since I do that as you can see in this link: Build Log:"Wait for My Command!" Diorama and Build Log:"Komm und nimm es dir!" Diorama . I'm proud of your work by using that path.

A few things to be improved:
1. Opened hatch.
Beyond my observation toward other fellow modellers' finished work, opened hatch may purposed to illustrate an armor with a crew (at least) outside. If such situation doesn't occur, just simply made the hatch closed. So, 2 options were available for you: If you want that your armor's hatch opened, just add a suitable figure. If not, simply close it and the vignette or diorama already have a story, even without figures

2. Chipping effect.
You already realize it, but no problem at all. You can recover it later. Just a tips, when I made such chipping, I used a needle tip.

Again, do not hesitate when you used a cheap tools or materials, because I do so. And since you happy with it, no problem with that all and have it your way!

Cheers

Garry
Cobra1972
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:22 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for the encouraging words
Cobra1972
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

G'day All

I used Tamiya Paints and a cheap airbrush, purchased from the net. A pin wash and Pastels for dust etc....

...The Diorama is a $2 photo frame from the Reject shop. I sprayed the frame Tamiya Dark Yellow and covered the glass in PVA glue and sand etc. Pastels were then used to try and give it some colour...

Hi Mick, it's nice to know you!

First, welcome to this kind of fun! It's very good for the your first time and you should know that I never as good as yours when I'm performing on building figures at my first time

Don't ever feel guilty when you use a cheap or even scrap material since I do that as you can see in this link: Build Log:"Wait for My Command!" Diorama and Build Log:"Komm und nimm es dir!" Diorama . I'm proud of your work by using that path.

A few things to be improved:
1. Opened hatch.
Beyond my observation toward other fellow modellers' finished work, opened hatch may purposed to illustrate an armor with a crew (at least) outside. If such situation doesn't occur, just simply made the hatch closed. So, 2 options were available for you: If you want that your armor's hatch opened, just add a suitable figure. If not, simply close it and the vignette or diorama already have a story, even without figures

2. Chipping effect.
You already realize it, but no problem at all. You can recover it later. Just a tips, when I made such chipping, I used a needle tip.

Again, do not hesitate when you used a cheap tools or materials, because I do so. And since you happy with it, no problem with that all and have it your way!

Cheers

Garry

Thanks Garry... That all makes a lot of sense and I will take this on-board for future builds.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and I am checking out those links now
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:39 AM UTC
Mick, for a 1st effort it's extremely well done, especially in that small scale.

Joel
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Garry... That all makes a lot of sense and I will take this on-board for future builds.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and I am checking out those links now

You're welcome Mick, just take a look around

By the way, great salute for your effort on building such 1/72 and as you said before, I think you'll makes a lot of senses than me. My works are 1/35, but with some steps of adapatation, I'm sure that you're able to implemented into 1/72

Cheers

Garry
 _GOTOTOP