Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
t-26 and trench diorama
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

True and therefore my collection has a total of zero kriegsberichter pics. I only have pictures from soldiers private albums. I like collecting those. It gives a better view of what the soldiers came accross during their service. And not much censoring went on with those shots.

That's really cool. I found a website that has a ton of WWII photos, mostly German, and you could probably get a feel for what their trenches looked like after looking through the site for a while: http://historyimages.blogspot.com/

-Conor
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's really cool.

It absolutely is. A lot of my dio ideas come from my photocollection. It is one of those things I started with one day. I buy a few photo's every month and steadily the collection grew. Got about 200+ pictures with the PAK36 as subject and another bunch (don't even know how much) with other subjects.

Every now and then I manage to score some pure Gems like these

Pics are blurrier then the originals I photographed them with my phone. I really like the PAK36... Can't tell you exactly why it simply looks cool.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 03:38 PM UTC
Cool pictures you got there my friend.

Not too sure if these photos will be of any help, but they do give a bit of an idea as to what a German trench or dugout would be arranged like:

(Cool one right? I thought so)

Jerry was right, no clutter hahaha

Hope those help, if you want more I'll find some

-Conor
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 04:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have always wanted to chime in about this on line. Speaking as a retired infantryman,one of my pet peaves with a lot of dios was the stuff lying around. My army buddy that also build models and me would chuckle at Verlindens' dios because he had a lot of stuff lying around that made no sense.
So,to get to your trench. Soldiers in the field will sort of expand their"kingdom" the longer they stay somewhere. When they dig in,the first priority is picking the location with tactical sense and good interlocking fields of fire. Next priority is improving said location with overhead cover and commo tranches and alternat postions,etc. If there is spare time,comfort options come into play and items may be gathered from nearby houses,fields,etc. But one thing stays the same. Personal gear and ammo are always ready and within reach in case of attach or in case all hell breaks loose and you need to get out of Dodge quickly!!
So no,the Verlindon method of having the German bread bag taken off the belt or all kinds of weapons laying all over the place would never happen,unless it was a very rear area. LOng winded but maybe you can make a better choice now?
J

Funny you should mention that now. This past weekend I went hiking with my daughter. Everytime we stopped for a rest break she would drop her pack. I never did. She ask me why I didn't and I told her a quarter century of training and combat have conditioned me to keep all my gear with me and if possible on me. Even now when I'm retired it's still engrained in me.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool pictures you got there my friend.

Not too sure if these photos will be of any help, but they do give a bit of an idea as to what a German trench or dugout would be arranged like:

(Cool one right? I thought so)

Jerry was right, no clutter hahaha

Hope those help, if you want more I'll find some

-Conor

Awesome pic of a WSS mortar position. Did the credits say where it was taken?
Just to be clear,weapons and ready ammo that are next to hand is not clutter. It makes sense.
And I apologize to the thread starter for this diversion but I still think it is in a helpful mode?
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 03:14 AM UTC
Mortar position is Budapest 1944. This is the page http://historyimages.blogspot.com/2012/08/waffen-ss-in-action.html

Yeah apologies to James we kinda blew up your thread a little bit hahaha
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hey guys, some interesting bits and bobs going on, Those trench pictures are great, although disappointingly clean
Robert, that panzerjaeger truck thing, brilliant!

Ok, so my soviet arrived today. it was a gift, and its got good detail, its not alpine, or evolution, but its good for me!
the idea is to segment the dio into 2 distinct viewing positions, the rear right corner ( rear right of the tank) showing a soldier focused on throwing a grenade off into the distance, oblivious to the goings on in the trench.( the Germans will be out of his line of sight.

layout form above so far.

here you can see the blind spot ( well you cant see it, magic..)

and some water in the trench.

The Russian Soldier was meant to come with a shovel, but the piece was paper thin and broke form the resin casting block. so i subbed it with a scratchbuilt milliput grenade.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:17 PM UTC
@ James
It absolutely is one of my favorite pictures. Cost me a pretty dime. But it is a very original photograph. I love the group of kids at the back

Trench is shaping up nicely. I like the idea of the Russians advancing what they think is an empty trench. I can allmost envision the germans pressing themselves against the wall the Soviets are advancing to.
personally I think I would move the grenadethrower more backwards further away from the trench to create an even bigger blind spot for him.
By the way nice touch with the telephonewire in the trench. Where did you get the hooks from?

I have to thank you as your perfect work so far inspired me to think up a trench diorama for myself. Will be one of my near future projects
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to thank you as your perfect work so far inspired me to think up a trench diorama for myself. Will be one of my near future projects

Ditto, awesome stuff here
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC
Conor, thanks for watching, I appreciate having you along for the ride!
Robert, I appreciate your comments, and I am delighted that I have inspired you! The Grenade man will be a little further back than in the picture, most definitely, I want to annihilate the chance that someone may pint out that the occupants of the trench would be in his line of sight.

the wire in the trench is fuse wire, and the hooks are solder wire, pressed flat, bent over unto a tiny U shape and trimmed so one side was longer than the other, then they were mounted to flattened fuse wire brackets.

I am currently working on the painting of the figure, and later will take a trip to the kitchen an do some rough plaster work for the groundwork.
i am at a loss whether to add grass to the scene to add a bit of colour, or go for textured mud. i would prefer the grass, but who knows!
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
well, the base is taking shape, the trench is looking good, and I'm happy with where it's at at the moment.

what I used.
Plaster, most importantly.
Fine/medium sand.
some form of static grass.
paint and or pigments. earth,muck and industrial colourings
pva glue.
dried herbs

Mix up sand and static grass cut to various lengths in the bottom of a disposable pot.

cover with plaster powder and sand.

mix in some dry herbs, slap in the pigments, I used MIG dark mud and Industrial city dirt
and drizzle on PVA glue to strengthen the plaster.

mix with tepid water to the consistency of porridge or thick yoghurt. remember, plaster absorbs water so you may need a little more than you think otherwise you will end up drying too quick.

smother over were you need to, roughly molding the terrain you need.

it looks a bit poor at the moment, no texture, blobby.
wait a moment or two for the plaster to set a little. im talking 1-2 minutes.

dab the plaster lightly with a old brush and paper towel, the brush adds light texture and the paper towel absorbs excess water and adds texture sprinkle on some more textures, sand/ herbs.. whatever you have and press in lightly with paper towel.

the plaster should be much more firm at this point.
place down some cling film, and press your vehicle down in its desired position, making sure that it is depressed enough to display weight.

remove,

when dry you can test fit

when this is painted e.t.c it will look much more groundy than it currently does
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 02:39 AM UTC
Really taking shape nicely!! And quickly!
J
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
thanks Jerry!

I have a question, I want to add some logs in around the opening of the trench, would this be a good idea?

James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
If you mean closing off one of the openings on the open ends then no. You are showing a cut away portion of a much longer trench and that would cut it off? Is that what you mean?
J
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 06:53 AM UTC
hey Jerry, I was more along the lines of having them parallel at the top of each side of the trench. in a test fit they look good, ill post it in some photos tomorrow
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi James. Havent taken the time read through the entire thread so maybe this has been already mentioned. The timber trench walls look very fresh ... maybe it would an idea to weather them with some grey, green, brown, etc washes to age them a bit. I can imagine the trench being damp and wood would weather quickly. Your T-26 looks great.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hey Frank, that's a good point. There's plenty left to do so ill pop that on the list !
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
hello all. Postman came with my DML figures. Pleasantly surprised with the quality seemings they are an older set.

these will sharpen up nicely, I will define some details, around the straps and pockets e.t.c but mostly leave them as is.

not too shabby for a plastic head

this is my visions for the logs. what do you think?

Also, a few trench close ups..

Groundwork, far from finished...

and Tank Miniatures grenade thrower!

and Vallejo have started using RAL numbers on the bottom of their paints. very useful. luckily, the leather brown I brought, seems to be a match for the brown used on early war german tanks,

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
I like the logs. Looks like they fit in nicely.
J
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 06:47 AM UTC
thanks Jerry, I'll seal them and glue them on then! the adventure continues...
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi James your dio is taking shape nicely.
I'm not sure the logs are a good idea sitting on the edge of the trench though. The inhabitanats of the trench would not be likely to have the position outlined in logs to give their position away so if you do place them there, there should be earth in front of them for camouflage.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC
I was surprised by the kit's detail too. Looks like the one you got is even more detailed than mine Looks great
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Pleasantly surprised with the quality seemings they are an older set.

These kits are great for converting and many useful poses as they are. Those heads are perfect when you have a helmet and are background soldiers in a diorama. They are every bit as good as GenII ... in fact better as they are one piece. No point using hornet heads unless you want to convey something extra with face expressions.
olivato
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Argentina
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 01:10 AM UTC
James, your diorama looks really good, keep going mate!
It´s always interesting to see how a diorama develops.
I follow you!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 02:22 AM UTC
Ola James

You are going ahead with steady speed mate and it is really turning into a nice diorama. I like the logs.. allthough I second Pats remark about covering them up with dirt. At least on the enemyside.
I would add grass it would bring a lot of color into the scene.

Those figures look pretty good. I even doubt you need to do any refining to them really. I bet with some creative painting you can make them shine as well. Shep Paine said in his books. Bad painting can make a good figure look mediocre while good painting can save a mediocre figure.
Here is a figure i painted a while ago from DML's German Infantry Barbarossa 1941.