_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya 1:35 T26E4 Super Pershing
B1ue52
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys

So here is my rendition of the Tamiya Super Pershing.

This is:
■My First model after a 20+ year break. Then it was just slapping some Humbrol Enamels on to 1:72nd Airfix kits
■First ever AFV
■First time using an airbrush
■First time using after market kits such as PE, stowage, gun barrels etc
■First time trying to weather something, or do anything other than obvious details and a base coat really.

I really enjoyed building this kit and loved learning to use the airbrush. The tips and advice I have received on this forum have been invaluable, so thanks to all who chimed in. With that said, I am still not sure what I make of the end result. I think I went a bit too heavy with the dust at the end and its all looking a bit washed out. The poor photos don't help in this regard as a lot of the detail is lost in them. I never meant for this to be historically accurate or anything, though I did try and get the colour right for the Super Pershing and the antenna's a scale height and width. It was more an excersise in learning to use the airbrush and learning a bit of weathering and detailing.

Anyway, please feel free to be harsh and honest in your critique. I have learned a lot from this first build and would like to improve before my next so any and all comments would be very much appreciated.

Stuff used:

■Tamiya Acrylics for all painting
■Original Klear gloss coat
■Microscale flat coat
■Chalk Pastels
■Oil paints

Accessories uses:
■RB MODEL 35B119 - Aluminium Main Barrel
■RB MODEL 35B13 - Browning M2 Barrel and PE detail kit
■RB MODEL 35B82 - Browning M1919 Barrel
■BLACK DOG T35060 - Stowage Set
■0.2mm Nickel rod for the antenna
■Sliced up Tomato Puree tube for the fuel and ammo stowage straps

Apologies for the poor photo's, the white balance was all over the place and I'm no photographer!

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 12:51 PM UTC
Better than my first. A few pointers. The brackets holding the stowage on the fenders should be the same color as the tank. Some of you stowage looks like it is about to fall off the back. You forgot, I assume "forgot" to paint the road wheel tires black/rubber. The decals are very nice. Noticing that the "dust" effect is overdone is the first step towards improvement. If there is dust on the side skirts, there should be dust on the top of the hull and turret. I'm glad to see that you didn't highlight the 50 with silver or steel. Too many people do this, much to their chagrin. I would recommend you try your hand at filters, on your next build. This will help to break up the monotone of the camo. The spare tracks, on the turret seem to be floating. There should be brackets to hold them in place. I'm not educated enough about Pershings to make comments on accuracy. Keep on building.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:22 PM UTC
Looks great Andy. Welcome back to the hobby.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC
Overall it looks good. It is the small details that need some more work. In addition to what has already been noted, the handles on all the ammo cans should be the same color as the rest of the cans. It also looks like all your fuel/water cans are missing their three-barred handles. Overall a good effort. Take care of some of the smaller items and it will look great.
B1ue52
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Better than my first. A few pointers. The brackets holding the stowage on the fenders should be the same color as the tank. Some of you stowage looks like it is about to fall off the back. You forgot, I assume "forgot" to paint the road wheel tires black/rubber. The decals are very nice. Noticing that the "dust" effect is overdone is the first step towards improvement. If there is dust on the side skirts, there should be dust on the top of the hull and turret. I'm glad to see that you didn't highlight the 50 with silver or steel. Too many people do this, much to their chagrin. I would recommend you try your hand at filters, on your next build. This will help to break up the monotone of the camo. The spare tracks, on the turret seem to be floating. There should be brackets to hold them in place. I'm not educated enough about Pershings to make comments on accuracy. Keep on building.

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes, forgot to go back and re-blacken the road wheels after applying the dust coat at the end. I will revisit this.

I did look in to filters, and kind of understand them. My issue was with what colour to use. I still wouldnt know what colour to use over this scheme or what I was really hoping to achieve from it, even after all the reading I have done on the subject. Any pointers towards filter colours to use over a green base would be appreciated.

With that said, the photos dont really do the finish justice. I agree with what you are saying, but the photos are making it look more monotone and washed out than it actually is. There is a lot of subtle rain stain, rust and tone change going on that can't be seen in the pics.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks
B1ue52
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 08:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Overall it looks good. It is the small details that need some more work. In addition to what has already been noted, the handles on all the ammo cans should be the same color as the rest of the cans. It also looks like all your fuel/water cans are missing their three-barred handles. Overall a good effort. Take care of some of the smaller items and it will look great.

Thanks for the notes, much appreciated and yes, I think the next build will look more towards the smaller details now that I'm getting on well with the airbrush.

Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 08:12 PM UTC
For filters, use the base color with a drop of white or black and apply to sections of the model. Not like camo. More like the turret, or part of the upper hull. It really is quite simple and greatly improves the finish.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC
Andy, welcome back to the hobby. For a 1st returning effort, and 1st AFV model, you did extremely well. Those issues already mentioned will greatly help with your next model.

I did notice that there is color modulation on the turret. On my laptop your overall colors are all very light, so it's hard to tell one way or the other.

As for filters, I 1st air brush on the over all OD color, then do any fading with the same color lightened with field Yellow. Then seal the model with Future. Decal, and another few coats of Future.

Then apply the 1st filter which usually is a darker OD shade then the base coat. Right now I've been using AK Interactive #425 Dark Green really thinned out with Mineral Spirits. This will settle into the nooks and crannies. I let it set up then with a damp Q tip start to remove some of it from areas that I want the faded effects to be more pronounced.

From here on it's washes, dry brushing, then a few coats of air brushed on earth, mud, and dust.

Joel
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 01:07 PM UTC
Very nice. Most of the "needs improvement" has been covered. I think the decaling is very well done. Poor decaling can take away from an otherwise great model. The cupola glass looks great as well. I believe you that the finish looks better than the photos. They looked washed out for sure. Maybe a different light source? Take those jerry cans off and tie down that stowage and you've got a winner.
horsetank
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Awesome, Outstanding You did a great job
Also that's a beautiful tank
 _GOTOTOP