_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
First armor kit in 25+ years
orangelion03
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Putting it out there because I'm a sucker for punishment...

I used to build models quite prolifically, mostly cars and aircraft, but since 2003 or so have only built sporadically. I have not "completed" anything since then. Anyway...the model tank I built was a Tamiya Gepard back in the early 80s (when I was working on the GD DIVADS program). I thought a change in subject might kick-start the drive to completion, so I decided on a simple armor project. I had always wanted to try some weathering techniques, and Mike Rinaldi's Tank Art 1 became an inspiration.

So, on to the model. The Trumpeter Krupp-Steyr Waffentrager caught my eye at my LHS...I like the lines and it looked simple enough. The fact that it was a prototype, only a few were built, and to my knowledge never left the factory, meant it would have a simple one-color scheme and probably not show a lot of wear and tear. Pictures of one of them shows it as probably being in primer (though I was told by one modeler it could have been dark green) and looking relatively clean.

I built up the major components and laid down a base coat/primer using Floquil railroad paint enamel Zinc Chromate, which I thought is a good match for German primer (but what do I know). Built up the tracks over the last couple days. Next step would be to highlight/tone areas with lightened and darkened base. Then on to the pin-wash and weathering. Wish me luck!

lelle83
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
hey there!

looks like a good, clean build! good luck with the further paint process, I hope we can see some more progress soon
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby. Sure hope that you finally finish one. Looking forward to seeing it with paint and then some weathering.

Joel
daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 01:08 PM UTC
Looking good, this is the one with the 88mm I guess?

I didn't think any of these were actually built but don't matter it's a pretty cool subject.

I have the 105 version in my stash...

Regards, Paul
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 01:52 AM UTC
Nice start. Unusual vehicle as well,
J
 _GOTOTOP