Hosted by Darren Baker
TOW CAP and MUTT questions
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:19 AM UTC
I'm gathering info for some smaller update sets and need alittle help.
Does anyone know where the TOW stowage racks are and what they look like in the TOW CAP?
What exactly is wrong with the Academy M151A1's suspension or what would the correct parts look like?

Thanks Guys for any answers you might have.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
What is TOW CAP? I've taken many photos of TOW racks in Humvees Ans am not familiar with the term. Is it something related to the M151 TOW?
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know where the TOW stowage racks are and what they look like in the TOW CAP?

Bob,

Gino provided a picture from the TM in another thread.

Here it is.

Note the rack was located on the right side of the rear compartment (facing toward the front of the vehicle)next to the battery box, and even with the rear cargo hatch.

Dave
jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
By the TOW cap do you mean the kevlar shelter that was stored on top of the 113? The one that was heavy and awkward as hell to erect?
J
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 01:42 AM UTC
Here's the TOW rack :

TOW CAP = TOW Cover Artillery Protection :

Here's the M151A1 rear suspension :

and the M151A2 one (like in Academy's "A1" kit ) :

H.P.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 02:30 AM UTC
Frenchie comes through again!
Be advised though,that reddish colored hose inside the rack is not supposed to be there. It goes on the crew heater that you see to the left in the corner. The Tow cradle mounts on the pedestal to the left forgound and is stowed there. The fibreglass launch tube mounts on the ceiling to the extreme right and the tripod for groundmount is stowed on the triangular platform in the corner under the heater.
The pedestal slides up though the cargo hatch to fire and there is a alum. platform that folds up for the gunner to stand on.
The kevlar shrapnel defense cover has two metal formers that mount to the rear of the cargo hatch opening. These are put in tube openings in the top of the hull and the kevlar is slid up and attached at the top middle. It has been a long time and I can't recall with certainty if the kevlar in in two halves or 4 parts. When stowed the kevlar folds down into the metal racks on the side of the cargo hatch.
Very heavy and cumbersome to use with much cursing on our part. The hammerhead was a great upgrade for us.
J
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
On the M151, the front suspension is missing the upper control arms, tie rod, and all steering parts.

From Vodnik's great M151A1 build.

The underside floorpan is also incomplete. Again from Vodnik.

It is also missing a skid plate from the front bumper to the front differential, as seen above in Vodnik's photo.
robsresinstop
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, really helpful stuff there that I can put to good use really soon. I thought that the TOW CAP would be a quick conversion but after reviewing this info, it's going to get "hairy" real quick!

There's more to the MUTT repairs but nothing too complex, it'll be real tricky molding though. Always liked those MUTTs, fun to drive!

Gino, you did want the M557 for the Academy kits didn't you as that's the one I'm packing.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Bob, yes, the Academy set is fine. Thanks again.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC
The MUTT may have been fun to drive but it was a real pOS. In the 82nd heavy companies usually one out of three would start on its' own and they were forever in maint.
J
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The MUTT may have been fun to drive but it was a real pOS. In the 82nd heavy companies usually one out of three would start on its' own and they were forever in maint.
J

It's still the only vehicle I've every had that I could work on with a screw driver, bailing wire and duct tape! I've ran a tree through the radiator, jacked up the fuel pump and still was able to make it home with a makeshift can of gasoline sitting on the hood and hose gravity feeding the carburetor! Try that with one of them new fangled Humvees!
 _GOTOTOP