Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter's T90 Release
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just got the latest distributor flier on Trumpeter - the T-90A (cast turret) is slated for October release from US sources with a $72.95 SRP listed. Listed with 1300 parts (mostly a result of individual tracks).

Quoted Text

This hobby keeps getting more expensive by the hour! You could get Meng kit and Miniarm '92 T-90S turret for the same or slightly lower price.

Considering the US MSRP on the Meng kit is going to be $79.95, then no you can't.

I will admit though, I expected the Meng kit to be a higher MSRP than that in the US (closer to the Auf 1 and Merk III BAZ), and the Trumpeter kit to be a lower MSRP (closer to the T-62s), which would have created a much larger price difference between the 2 kits (about $25 difference instead of the $7 difference I see now).
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's see the final price at places like Hobbyeasy or Luckymodel. Usually you can find Trumpeter kits far cheaper there than anywhere... and they have both a great service

Hi, All! Not to argue, but generally, a particular kit in a domestic hobby shop may be selling at a relatively high price when compared to an overseas competitor, who is selling the same kit for a much better price. BUT! This can bite you in the rear end because of higher overseas shipping rates... The moral of this story is: CHECK THE BOTTOM LINE... SOMETIMES, the domestic hobby shop will have a better TOTAL price for that kit, once you've added in the shipping...

TRUMPETER USED TO BE cheaper than everyone else- Lately, they've been catching up to the rest of the Hobby Industries' pricing, for which I really can't blame them. But yes, you can still buy certain TRUMPETER kits at really GREAT prices, shipping costs notwithstanding...

If we look at the POSITIVE SIDE of the more-or-less constantly escalating prices, we ARE getting model kits with much better detailing, and crazy-high parts counts, thanks to CAD-Assisted Engineering and Slide-Mold Technology. The slide-molds are very complex in design, making them very EXPENSIVE to tool and then to implement them into production...

I think it will be interesting to find out which of the latest 1/35 T-90-series tank kits will prove to be the most popular...

I bought the ZVEZDA T-90 nearly a year ago, not expecting ANOTHER THREE T-90 kits to show up at THIS BARBEQUE... However, upon reading all the different reviews and postings, I find that we have DIFFERENT kits- cast turrets vs. welded turrets, etc. VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!!!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, All! Not to argue, but generally, a particular kit in a domestic hobby shop may be selling at a relatively high price when compared to an overseas competitor, who is selling the same kit for a much better price. BUT! This can bite you in the rear end because of higher overseas shipping rates... The moral of this story is: CHECK THE BOTTOM LINE... SOMETIMES, the domestic hobby shop will have a better TOTAL price for that kit, once you've added in the shipping...

Well if you can afford it, it makes more sense to order a couple models at the same time from overseas to overcome the costs of shipping.

And not to mention the vast majority of shops are charging full MSRP on kits....and given how much gas goes for, the trip out there could be covered by shipping costs from the post office or UPS or the like and still be cheaper.

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC
There’s a wide and very different world out there….
For instance here in Argentina, IF (and that’s a big “if”) you can find a recently delivered kit, you’ll end usually paying for it the double, or more, than its current price in the far East
So, buying for instance the above mentioned Trumpeter 2S3 kit that Hobbyeasy sells for less than $50 with airmail registered cost of about $15, is still a lot cheaper than buying it locally for no less than $100/$120
Not to talk about Dragon or Tamiya prices that are here really “up to the sky”.
Talking about that, a final price of $65 for a good kit –with some easy to solve misses or mistakes- does not seem astronomical for XXI century.
For example, I have three Dragon M1A1 AIM kits, considered by many people the paradigm of modern kits, and still ended buying AM stuff to improve or add some details.
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 05:56 AM UTC
Trumpeter T-90

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/9263/11944866.15/0_11e197_b0f35e69_XXL.jpg
RedStar
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 06:41 AM UTC
Agree on most posts here - I reported the date and SRP for informational purposes only.

At this point, depending on where you are, it's quite a research project to figure out the best place to make your purchase. Hobby Easy is sometimes a great deal if you can combine shipping for a number of different items, sometimes not.

But the pricing on Trumpeter and Meng appear to be pretty close in terms of SRP. Hopefully the Trumpeter kit will bring something to the table to push Meng along, as I think it's safe to say in a straight comparison, the Meng kit will be a better starting point - and easily worth the 10% (or so) higher price.

The one thing we can count on from Trumpy is that they'll crank out a variant every 3-4 months, so it won't be a long wait to see how far they go, not only with T-90s, but also T-72s....
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
At my lhs, they have a huge profit margin. As recently as last week, they wanted $65 for the Zvezda T90. I really can't afford to buy anything, but planes from them. The planes mark up is not as bad as armor. I can't figure this out, as there is hardly anybody that builds armor around here.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At my lhs, they have a huge profit margin. As recently as last week, they wanted $65 for the Zvezda T90. I really can't afford to buy anything, but planes from them. The planes mark up is not as bad as armor. I can't figure this out, as there is hardly anybody that builds armor around here.

Hi, All! I do most of my buying on eBay PRECISELY BECAUSE the guys that are trying to make a living in the small "Mom & Pop" stores HAVE TO CHARGE full pop for anything they sell just to keep their door open. I feel bad for these guys, but I'm not a money-mogul like Mr.Trump. If I can get a $65.00 (Retail) kit for $30.00 overseas plus $20.00 shipping, I'm still ahead of the game by $15.00.

I used to buy a lot more stuff in single purchases, but the only way to buy nowadays is to buy IN QUANTITY. I try to buy from some of the bigger domestic hobby shops because they can afford to sell at lower pricing, but if I see that I can save myself anywhere from $20.00-$100.00 on an overseas purchase, you know what I'm going to do... I spend more time "price-shopping" than actually searching for the items that I want to buy!!! It's just the signs of the times, guys... As Tony Soprano used to say, "Whatta ya gonna do..."

I've got a HUGE surplus of stuff that I'm going to have to liquidate- I'll be 61 soon, and I'LL NEVER HAVE THE TIME TO BUILD EVERYTHING THAT I'VE ACCUMULATED OVER ALL THESE YEARS, SO WATCH EBAY IN THE NEAR FUTURE...

PS- I live in a VERY RURAL AREA, where people look at me like I've got six heads because I'm so "into" my hobbies- so that means: NO LOCAL HOBBY SHOPS; I HAVE TO MAIL-ORDER EVERYTHING!!!
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, All! I do most of my buying on eBay PRECISELY BECAUSE the guys that are trying to make a living in the small "Mom & Pop" stores HAVE TO CHARGE full pop for anything they sell just to keep their door open. I feel bad for these guys, but I'm not a money-mogul like Mr.Trump. If I can get a $65.00 (Retail) kit for $30.00 overseas plus $20.00 shipping, I'm still ahead of the game by $15.00.

I used to buy a lot more stuff in single purchases, but the only way to buy nowadays is to buy IN QUANTITY. I try to buy from some of the bigger domestic hobby shops because they can afford to sell at lower pricing, but if I see that I can save myself anywhere from $20.00-$100.00 on an overseas purchase, you know what I'm going to do... I spend more time "price-shopping" than actually searching for the items that I want to buy!!! It's just the signs of the times, guys... As Tony Soprano used to say, "Whatta ya gonna do..."

I've got a HUGE surplus of stuff that I'm going to have to liquidate- I'll be 61 soon, and I'LL NEVER HAVE THE TIME TO BUILD EVERYTHING THAT I'VE ACCUMULATED OVER ALL THESE YEARS, SO WATCH EBAY IN THE NEAR FUTURE...

PS- I live in a VERY RURAL AREA, where people look at me like I've got six heads because I'm so "into" my hobbies- so that means: NO LOCAL HOBBY SHOPS; I HAVE TO MAIL-ORDER EVERYTHING!!!

gladly we are going to get a decent T-72 in recent years
gammaflick
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 07:00 AM UTC
I want to support my local Hobby shop by buying locally but damn, not when you can get a Meng T-90A for $33 and shipping for $19 shipped from China and the are charging $80.

If the price isnt that far apart I will gladly pay more to support them. I think most of the time though I buy my supplies there. Its a shame but $28 difference is too much.
Boris1991
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 07:40 AM UTC
True story, here in the Netherlands its exactly the same story, the LHS's prices are way to much compared to sites as luckymodel, so I buy my kits in China for a few years now.
Not to mention the free shipping on most aftermarket brands makes it really easy to choose for me.... and the stock is way bigger with much more choice and the shops in china are always the first to sell the new kits...
Sad story for the LHS's but well, internet selling is taking over quick, especially for the younger audience...
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 07:55 AM UTC
Prices are high at the LHS........but they have to survive. Businesses like Lucky Model, Sprue Brothers, etc have really put them under pressure.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi Everybody;
This is Great News, the more the Better. And now we can set back and relax and read all about which kit is the Best Buy for our Hard Earned money. I cant Wait too read from all of the Experts who will Pick this kit Apart, its fun sometimes too read the Arguments that this Hobby can Generate. But we Tend too go Too Far sometimes.
Im really Looking forward too this Welcome New kit, as well as the T-84 Oplot.
HAPPY MODELING EVERYONE; MIKE.
anthony14rmg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 08:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everybody;
This is Great News, the more the Better. And now we can set back and relax and read all about which kit is the Best Buy for our Hard Earned money. I cant Wait too read from all of the Experts who will Pick this kit Apart, its fun sometimes too read the Arguments that this Hobby can Generate. But we Tend too go Too Far sometimes.
Im really Looking forward too this Welcome New kit, as well as the T-84 Oplot.
HAPPY MODELING EVERYONE; MIKE.

Could not agree with you more, bring on these kits
koalorka
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:35 AM UTC
The MENG kits are already selling for $35.

I'd rather discuss the merits of the kit rather than speculate about pricing months in advance of release.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The MENG kits are already selling for $35.

I'd rather discuss the merits of the kit rather than speculate about pricing months in advance of release.

Which kit is this? Their Pickups?

Anyways, Squadron usually runs good deals on Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits...even new ones...I just ordered the T-26 M1933 and the Panzer II Ausf J for $35 bucks each...and they just came out! They had a deal running on them.

I'm waiting for Cast turret T-90 and a Indian T-90 myself to come out from Trumpeter or Meng in the next year or so

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just found this one, on Facebook. So excited.

Glue, paints and gravity not included?

Maybe the Russian Army didn't pay it's Gravity Bill last month...
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Prices are high at the LHS........but they have to survive. Businesses like Lucky Model, Sprue Brothers, etc have really put them under pressure.

The reason places like Lucky Model and Hobby Easy can offer those prices is that the manufacturers are usually in the same city, if not the same country and they can buy factory direct for much less than an LHS (or even Sprue Bros.) can, as well they only have to have it shipped a very short distance, meanwhile the rest of us LHS's have to rely on importers and suppliers to get our product through, nevermind being shipped half way around the world, all of which adds to the cost of the kit.

If I had most of the manufacturers within a 2-4 hr drive from my shop, I too would be able to buy factory direct at much reduced prices and thus be able to offer selling prices much along the same lines as LM or Hobby Easy.

I understand that people want to get the most out of their hard earned money, but if you neglect the LHS, or only use them to buy your supplies (paint, knives, tools, etc) eventually the LHS won't be there, and you won't even be able to get your supplies anymore. And as we all know, most paint can't be shipped unless your postal service still has a ground option, or you spring for a more costly courier delivery service.
ruzzaa
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 01:00 AM UTC
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10237775b2/30/2
tferedo
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 01:44 AM UTC
Here is a poster of the T-90 from Fil Scale Models

http://www.filscalemodels.ph/posters/t90trump.JPG

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a poster of the T-90 from Fil Scale Models

http://www.filscalemodels.ph/posters/t90trump.JPG

So we basicaly have a T-72 now. If this kit is accurate, the early T-90's with the cast turret all appear to have the same exhaust layout as the 72. This is a fact which prevented one from easily converting the Meng (or Zvezda) kit to a T-72B or BM, which is potentially less hassle and cheaper than the Tamiya+Miniarm route.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Monday, August 12, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC
oh yeah! first meng, now trumpeter! more than this is good news to russian modellers, it's great news more folks who like modern models!

i approve of this greatly
jhbarford
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
Got into the office this morning to find my Meng T90 direct from China waiting for me, a bargain I thought at £34 including postage (I always get stuff delivered to work, there's always someone there to take delivery and it makes it so much easier to hide them from Mrs H!).

Also got a Trumpy T90 on pre-order, supposedly arriving early September, plus of course Zvezda's version that's already in my stash! Can a man have too many T90's? Suppose we should ask Vladimir what he thinks.

P.S. would love to support my LMS but it doesn't stock what I want and is soooo expensive compared with t'internet offerings.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
I'm waiting for the Revell 1/72nd version
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hi Everybody;

Not too Downplay the Argument, But I Don't Care !!!!!

I Just Want All Of Them--------NOW

Happy Modeling; MIKE.