_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Feedback Needed: Sd.Kfz.251/22 1/35
Drone04
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

A couple of months ago I started an out-of-the-box build of Dragon's Sd.Kfz.251/22 in 1/35. I decided to go "creative" with the cammo, and decided to make the halftrack itself in the Feb. 1945 pattern seen on these Panters:

The posit was that the halftrack arrived as a Sd.Kfz.251/1 and was field-modified with the /22 kit and an older PaK40 piece from a towed gun. I can't remember why I decided that I'll make the vehicle belonging to Grossdeutschland division, but further research showed that the Panters with this unusual cammo in fact belonged to 15.Pz.Gr. Division. This is fine overall and I just need to change the unit insignia.

However, upon discovering this mistake, doubts started chewing at me

I am really not a fan of the what-if Panzer'46 trend. At the same time, there are very few preserved images of 251/22 and very few images of vehicles with this specific cammo. So here comes the question:

If I keep this cammo, will the model appear as a Panzer'46 item in your opinion? I'm torn between keeping it as it is because it is "exotic" in a way, and repainting it in something more familiar. Ultimately, the perception it creates (whether it appears Panzer'46 or not) would tip the scales, and as I am unable to make up my mind, I'd like to ask the esteemed Forum for an opinion -- and I do thank you very much in advance for the input!

Finally, a bit about the model itself at its current stage:

OOB build, I used the metal barrel provided by Dragon. I weathered the interior (mildly so, it is a recently assembled vehicle). The PaK will be more severely weathered to convey the impression of an older artillery piece slapped with the /22 kit on the 251. In spite of all the filing, the seam between the two parts behind/under the breech is very much visible so it will be revisited with some more putty (the PaK is not glued to the rest of the model, just put in place for the photoshoot).

No major work on the exterior yet, just put the decals in place and sprayed gently Tamiya's Buff and Wooden Deck Tan to simulate the first layer of dusting. Everything else is on hold now until I make up my mind whether I'll keep this cammo or repaint the whole thing.

And finally, some pictures:

Thank you very much for having a look -- and even more so if you have an opinion!

Have a very nice weekend,

Ivan
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
Ivan

Looking good. However, a few thoughts:

1. Paint work looks very garish - I'd be inclined to tone it down somewhat with washes and/or filters. Yes, I know it's a relatively new vehicle. I don't think that it looks 1946-ish.
2. You've painted the inside of the gun cradle bare metal, which may or may not be correct. However, you've left the top edges of the cradle in the same colour as the interior, which is incorrect. The gun slid back on these top edges when it fired, and they should be bare shiny metal.
3. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the gunner's sighting telescope doesn't line up with the gun barrel as it should. Having said that, I am only too well aware how @#*&^%^$!!!!! difficult it is to get such sights attached, let alone aligned correctly.

Regards

Rob
Kurmark
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi Ivan,the diagonal striping on the Panthers pictured is attributed to the MNH factory,and they are thought to be from either 25th Panzergrenadier Div.,or Panzer Div."Kurmark" on the Oder front in Feb./Mar 45,15th Pzgr.Div fought on the Western Front.MNH did not build 251s but that is the beauty of 1946 Panzers,any colour scheme is possible!Your colour scheme looks great,but I too would add a filter to blend it a bit,Cheers...Murray McLennan
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 01:46 PM UTC
If the colors were used in the factory, then there's a possibility that they were issued to the field units. I don't think that a unit in the field would take the time and trouble to create a hard edged camo pattern, especially at that stage of the war.

Overall, the vehicle looks pretty well done from what I can see (other than the 2 problem areas already mentioned).
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi Ivan ..Looking good so far ...I guess it is up to you if you want a what if camo or a more realistic one... It does look good. Of course some washes and filters will tone everything down. A little trick I use for the seam under the gun ...get a piece of thin plastic the width of the bottom and glue it over the joint ...problem solved! .

keep up the good work !
Rick
Drone04
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 10:17 PM UTC
Guys, honestly, thank you very much for your opinions. I have made up my mind and I'll keep this cammo. Perhaps one day I'll try AFV Club's /22 and will go for something more conventional as well.

This model is officially back on the bench

And you're absolutely right, washes, filters, pigments -- the whole lot is the plans, I won't leave it like this. Laso, thanks a lot for the practical advices, gonna use them all!

Hopefully, and update should follow soon!

Have a great week,

Ivan
Drone04
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

Decided to move forward with this one as well. More weathering for now, plus two figures added. They're still at the "zombie" stage, but slowly getting in shape. They're from Tamiya's Marder III kit, I quite liked the dynamics of their poses.

Thanks for watching guys,

Ivan
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Ivan. Not a fan of late war or 1946 camos, but that aside, it looks good. I like the weathering a lot of gun and inerior. What you´ve done looks to very well done. The figures look good. Any plans for a base/diorama?
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 01:05 AM UTC
1/72 ? I like it, nice work.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 03:44 PM UTC
Ivan, Just my personal preference, but i think it look bloody awesome fella! Its not out of the realm of possibility.....maybe. Im very glad you left it as is. Its different and i like that, very creative and ya defo got some serious talent. Well done sir!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 10:31 PM UTC
I too like the scheme you went with. I'm not big, on accuracy for anything other than contest builds. Not saying that it isn't accurate. It is very refreshing to see one that doesn't sport the mainstream camo schemes. The gun definitely looks the part of having seen a previous life.
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 04:04 PM UTC
This is utterly beautiful work. Late war camo is every bit as valid as any other. This piece is exceptional for the insertion of a previously used canon. I have never seen this before. Please share more here. Even antique relics out there have usually kept the wheels and tracks.
clayocker
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 05:02 PM UTC
It looks great. Well done. Nice to see something different.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:49 PM UTC
Was just looking back over this interesting paint scheme and wondered how you did it? Like what you used to mask it?

Thanks

-Conor
Genuino
Visit this Community
Acre, Brazil
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:52 PM UTC
Need little bit dirty... I like it.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 - 06:22 PM UTC
That's an awesome build , now I got search and see if any C versions were ever armed with a pak 40 . If they have I think I will build it .
 _GOTOTOP