_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Taking Fire!!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Taking Fire!! lol
I'm sorry, this was my first diorama after a few beers !! I couldn't stop laughing, poor guy got his arm blown off!!
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 10:30 AM UTC
Awe, it's just a flesh wound.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC
lol
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 01:52 PM UTC
Last time I checked the M151 and M38A1 were never used in WWII....there 50's and 60's vintage. The amount of blood behind the guy missing an arm seem's a bit much, blood loss that severe would more then likely be fatal. To be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure what's happening, it all seems just haphazard and don't get me wrong I know battlefield's can be chaotic but this just seems weird. Anyways that's my two cents.
Milites-Christi
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
I don't find anything funny about this. There are quite a few vets here that my have had this very thing happen to them or their buddy. You're obviously a talented modeler, maybe less beer next time.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't find anything funny about this. There are quite a few vets here that my have had this very thing happen to them or their buddy. You're obviously a talented modeler, maybe less beer next time.

You guys are way too serious.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It has nothing to do with being serious or not, when it comes to posting diorama's depicting wounded soldiers there needs to be a certain decorum. Military modeling while it is to be a fun hobby also deals with us remembering history and the men and women who have given up their lives in uniform to protect our freedom. Getting drunk and posting a diorama laughing about a wounded soldier just shows a certain level of immaturity on your part. I'm sure none of the vets on this site appreciate it, you laughing at someone who lost their arms misfortune because they have seen the things you are laughing at, and rest assured they are not laughing at them. The other diorama you posted today, Shelling stalingrad is nicely done and in good taste. As opposed to this one, which seems childish and flat out disrespectful.
But what do I know i'm just a 19 year old.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It has nothing to do with being serious or not, when it comes to posting diorama's depicting wounded soldiers there needs to be a certain decorum. Military modeling while it is to be a fun hobby also deals with us remembering history and the men and women who have given up their lives in uniform to protect our freedom. Getting drunk and posting a diorama laughing about a wounded soldier just shows a certain level of immaturity on your part. I'm sure none of the vets on this site appreciate it, you laughing at someone who lost their arms misfortune because they have seen the things you are laughing at, and rest assured they are not laughing at them. The other diorama you posted today, Shelling stalingrad is nicely done and in good taste. As opposed to this one, which seems childish and flat out disrespectful.
But what do I know i'm just a 19 year old.

Well put Alex and I fully agree with the above, and I'm 60 years old!

Romain
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
To cut this ladying short, I do not think this is being disrespectful !!!!!!!!!

If you have nothing good to say do not start a ladying contest over something as daft as an arm blown off !!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A MODELER'S DEPICTION OF WAR !!!!!!!!

I have seen more dramatic and what might be considered offensive depictions of real life and death scenes on History Channel at 12 noon !!!!!!!!

More soldiers have fought and died through the years and use dutch courage to get them there and after !!!!!!! Having a beer and building a model of a few guys getting shot up (AND YES IT IS THE US AND NOT THE OTHER SIDE FOR A CHANGE) does not a monster make !!!!!!!!!!!!

GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON TO YOUR NEXT ladyING SESSION !!!!!!!

IT IS A MODEL

Here endeth my preach !!!! AND HOPEFULLY YOURS !!!!

And yes I have served in the military !!!!

Nige
WARCLOUD
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 280 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:31 AM UTC
Well...this is truly a revelation...
Being a veteran myself, I really don't find it offensive to depict the realities of war. I do it too.
But that said, this piece is a "diorama" as much as a child setting up his toy soldiers on top of his dresser is a diorama. If some think I'm "ladying"..get over it. Too bad.
If there's any disrespect here, it's to the art form of scale modelling and historical accuracy, neither of which have any representation in this display. Remember, plastic model kits are not recommended for persons under 14 yrs. of age..beer or no beer.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
its just plastic. would it be better if it were a german soldier with an arm blown off? There's always "1" in a crowd. Good grief.
I didn't put it up to be criticized or to hurt someones feelings, it's just a model diorama, nothing more.
I'm trying to delete the post but can't figure it out.
By the way, I was laughing at myself, not the diorama.
So other member's can expect this crap from you 2 when they post their diorama's with casualties or do you 2 have a thing for me? Which is it? If this sort of stuff bother's you at 60 years old, maybe you should get some counseling?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being a veteran myself, I really don't find it offensive to depict the realities of war. I do it too.
But that said, this piece is a "diorama" as much as a child setting up his toy soldiers on top of his dresser is a diorama. If some think I'm "ladying"..get over it. Too bad.
If there's any disrespect here, it's to the art form of scale modelling and historical accuracy, neither of which have any representation in this display. Remember, plastic model kits are not recommended for persons under 14 yrs. of age..beer or no beer.

I couldn't agree more. It is not that it is disrespectful to soldiers or shows the horrors of war. It is disrespectful to the hobby as it is just a poorly thrown together display of poorly done figures and model. It would not matter what country was depicted to me. It is still a silly display and the poster's attitude toward it is the most disrespectful.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC
lol
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I couldn't agree more. It is not that it is disrespectful to soldiers or shows the horrors of war. It is disrespectful to the hobby as it is just a poorly thrown together display of poorly done figures and model. It would not matter what country was depicted to me. It is still a silly display and the poster's attitude toward it is the most disrespectful.

lol thx. Yes!! It was meant to be a silly display . Glad you love it.
WARCLOUD
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 04:54 AM UTC
I don't care if you model a head on top of a scorched pile of guts...but if you do, I expect a level of workmanship. Are you 10 yrs old?
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it's just a model diorama, nothing more.
I'm trying to delete the post but can't figure it out.
By the way, I was laughing at myself, not the diorama.
So other member's can expect this crap from you 2 when they post their diorama's with casualties or do you 2 have a thing for me? Which is it? If this sort of stuff bother's you at 60 years old, maybe you should get some counseling?

It is NOT a diorama, and that's a fact!
It's just c..p and not worth discussing it actually!
I need no counseling, you need a therapy!

End of message!

R.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
Ok, I think there is enough said here, each person models differently, to some it is about having fun, and others take it more seriously. There is no need for the insults, I have always been told if you don't have anything nice to say, it is best left unsaid.

Thanks
Kira_Yamato
Visit this Community
Hanoi, Vietnam
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
First thing David,the layout is good but you need more realistic.I never paint a models or diorama before but if I do,I will make it the most realistic as i could
Second,you dont just make diorama for entertain but also to remind others what Happened in Wars,so I will need some respects.I'm just 17 years old boy so I not gonna say much but,buildin a diorama is a serious stuff

now,every body just cool down a little and gave him some opions on his work

Cheers
Kira,

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Nice work guys, I thought we were supposed to be helping the beginners, not discourage them.

Dave Just keep trying to improve you modelling skills, seems a few people have forgotten to read the "BEGINNERS" at the top of the page. I suggest reading the many articles here to learn and to improve your modelling skills.
Consider putting your builds in the Constructive Feedback Forum.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi David,

first i am sorry for you thad you get so much critic for a Diorama in SCALE MODELING. What´s going on here ?????

This is a Diorama which Displays a war Scene. You all build Military models which in 1:1 scale are made for war and have killed People. So don´t Close your eyes when somebody only Shows the realitiy. If you build a Figure of a sniper and put it in a nice looking dio/Vignette aiming his target then everybody should celar that in reality the next step would be a kill. In war People gets wounded and killed so were is the Problem that he Show this? No, everybody says how great the painting of the Figure is and how real the Scene look if he is a good modeler ;-). it stands for a sniper in combat and sniper kill People in war. This is their Job and it happend in every war in the past and today. I did not know a war were not soldiers get wounded or killed and this Diorama only Shows a momnt of combat were a US Soldier is serious wounded. I think that is the only Problem her because a US SOLDIER is displayed wounded. If this was a German, japanese,VC or Taliban all would be OK and everybody would say how great he captured the Overall Scene.

You all are building MILITARY Figures vehicles Dioramas etc. but all are getting crazy if somebody Shows a drop of blood or death in any Diorama which display war. A Military Diorama is by the way for displaying a Moment freezing in time. In this Diorama here we see a wounded soldier nothing more.

So i think this Forum is about scale modeling and to discuss about the right selection of vehicles, Figures Colors et.and could try to help each other if we see a mistake. If a veteran have a Problem with a scale Model or Diorama then i ask myself why in hell he does this Hobby when he have seen the Horror of war in realty but have a Problem when this was shown here? Then i think don´t build Military Models.

You guys are so helpfull to a fellow modeler. All Thumbs up. It´s a plaesure to be part of this community. Shame on you
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
To me, the dio is more of a joke than a serious attempt at recreating a snapshot of a combat scene. It is not realistic in any way. If you want honest critique, then you should present an honest effort and not joke about it as you do so. The builder's attitude is the main reason people are offended by this, not the subject nor the nationality of the wounded soldier.

Here are the constructive comments I have for you.

The vehicles are not correct for WWII. They are 1950's - '60s (M38A1) and 1970s (M151A2) vehicles. The figures are in WWII gear and uniforms. The correct jeeps would be either a Willys MB (Tamiya) or Ford GPW (Bronco).

The building piece hangs over the base and is not integrated into it. It looks like it was just thrown on top of a painted board. There is no ground work, again, it looks like a sand-color painted board.

The injuries to the soldiers are not realistic. In real life, blood is not that bright and turns a very dark brown (almost black) very quickly when it comes into contact with the air. Also, the amount of blood behind the soldier on the building is unrealistic in its spray pattern and amount. A severed limb squirts blood and it oozes in a pool. They dont spray blood across an entire wall.

Lastly, the scene has no story to tell and looks like just a collection of mediocre models tossed together with no thought to how they are interacting.
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 10:33 AM UTC
So I've been watching this thread and was going to comment a couple of times but didn't. And maybe I still shouldn't, but after reading Stefan's post I felt I had to.

The nationality of the soldier in the scene makes NO DIFFERENCE. Frankly, it's idiotic to try to point to that as the cause for the outrage. Because, unless they've been deleted, I don't see any posts even hinting that the problem is that they are US soldiers.
The problem I (and I think others) have is the builder's attitude to the wounded soldier. He writes "Taking Fire! lol" and "I couldn't stop laughing poor guy got his arm blown off!"
A guy getting his arm blown off is funny?
He writes it the same way someone would write "And he slipped on a bannana and fell on his ass!" He has the attitude that's it's some slapstick routine! AND, YES ... I know it's a scale model!! It's not real. But, as Stefan writes he is depicting something that happens on a real battlefield. So some vets may transfer the builder's attitude over the event depicted in his scene to similar events we have seen for real, and we may find the builder's flippant attitude offensive.
I personally, do not find the scene offensive. Amateurish, yes, offensive, no. These things do happen when the real versions of the things we model are used in the real world. Modelling dead and wounded in itself is not the offensive part of this scene. I personally find it interesting that we don't see more of it in all these war scenes, but it's a very difficult thing to pull off convincingly and not come off as some kid dabbing red paint all over the place. Again, it's not the scene, it is the attitude shown.

If you are depicting dead and/or wounded soldiers, don't present it as some kind of joke. As Alex said there needs to be a little decorum, even if they are just glued together pieces of plastic.

P.S. I second Gino's constructive comments.
WARCLOUD
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
I don't take offense to any of it other than seeing it as something of an insult to those who strive for a high level of skill and make every effort to do the best possible work. An honest effort by a total beginner is of course welcome in my world, and in fact I do everything I can to encourage new modellers. I write my articles and reviews with the average model builder in mind, and since I'm no award winning show stopping builder/painter myself, never get into much critiq of others' models. This "diorama" is simply, in my view, insulting. Make an honest effort to do something, and even if it looks awful, I'll be kind and very happy to help sort out what went badly and how to avoid the mistakes next build. But this is not serious effort at anything except being deliberately offensive to see what sort of chaos can be caused. Such people are commonly called "trolls" online.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:28 PM UTC
David,
As you can see, your type of dioramas have taken some heavy flak.

To depict death and pain in scale modeling, is sometimes
heavily criticized by the modeling community.

You do mention in your profile that you want to be awesome at
building models/dioramas...then if I may suggest, take a more
subtle approach and be careful of the words and or comments you
attach with the post.....this is where some get all fire up.

If you want to become a better diorama/modeler and are serious about it, give it some thought,
I am not bashing you as I can see from your gallery that you are very
good at painting models but you need to refine your storytelling as it is not the greatest
and tends to be a little on the gory side.

(Remenber....where is Fritz?)

The fact that some of the comments attached to the your replies make it sound like it is all a joke, is what has fired up the negative comments by some.

The community is there to help and suggest but you also have to step back and consider a
better approach as gratuitous violence and pain is not appreciated by
the scale modeling community.

Cheers,
Joe
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2013 - 12:44 PM UTC
Gary and others

If David had titled this as "Taking Fire - the start of a dio showing the making of a 1960's movie of the Battle of the Bulge, we might be commenting that the vehicles might be wrong for the period of the battle, but how many times have you seen the wrong vehicles and accessories being used in the making of post-war movies of WW2 ??????

My first response to all this hoo-ha over the depiction of a wounded soldier was mainly due to the fact that posts prior to mine were slating the modeller's attitude !!!

What attitude ???? He had a couple of beers ,,,,,,,,,, threw some plastic together ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and put it on a board !!!!!!! DO WE KNOW WHAT WAS GOING THOUGH HIS MIND ????

I hoped by stating that it was simply a model ,,,,,,,,,, and it was just that ,,,,,,,,,,, WHY GET SO HEAVY ???????

I am trying to remember what clothing the GI's wore in WAR OF THE WORLDS or when this film was made !!!! What I am aware of is that some film makers were not to particular about about accuracy !!!!!

So for the sake of LETTING THIS MODELLER GET ON WITH HIS DIO, why can't we just agree to disagree with all the rights and wrongs of era, vehicles and clothing, and even PERSIEVED ATTITUDES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and just take it as being a film set !!!!!

David

Modelling has to stay fun and I saw that you were simply having a bit of fun with your model stash !!!!

I wonder if you would have been slated so badly at the start if it were Wallace and Grommet with some shot up sheep !!!!!!! After all soldiers can often be seen as being sheep to the slaughter !!!! It might have been persieved as being too politically sensitive to show that !!!!

Please repost your dio to get rid of prior judgements and conversations and just get back on with your build to see where it takes you !!!!!!

Meanwhile I hope we can just ditch all this unnecessary hoo-haa over a simple dio !!!!!!!!!!

Nothing good to say ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no need to say anything !!!!!

All the best

Nige
 _GOTOTOP