Tamiya JGSDF Type 90 + Eduard photoetched
Roca46
Visit this Community
Tarragona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hello friends from Armorama,

After a long time since my last post on the build of the Chinese tank ZTZ99, I start this progress topic for the tank Type 90 by Tamiya in 1/35 scale.

During this period of time I have been making a Tiger Hybrid that my father bought for himself and then decided to not to make it so before making the Type 90 I thought it would be fun for gaining weathering experience and also do some experiments, tank is finished and photos will be uploaded in my website soon. I am not an expert into weathering these kinds of vehicles, so with modern tanks I guess I feel with more confidence.

Talking about the present project, I am going to use two photoetched sets, both from Eduard, one is the mesh (ref 35591) and the other is the completed set (ref 35634).

About this detail set, it is discontinued since 2011, I contacted Eduard to know where to find this set since I saw it out of stock everywhere, but they told me it was discontinued and that they are not planning into re-issuing it again, so I searched through Ebay and I was lucky to find it

Looking at the photoetched instructions I can say that this will be a long project too, it has many small photoetched parts so I hope to upload photos of the step by step as I did with the Chinese tank.
The main idea I have for this tank is to modify to suspension to make it look like in this photo:

I have already completed the stage of the suspension so at the moment only the suspension arms are glued to the hull.

The process of making this position was to cut the small pointed pieces of the hull, these parts help the suspension arms to be positioned in a neutral and equal position, so by cutting the parts the arms become free.

Once I placed the idle wheel and the sprocket wheel I inclined the tank forward so the idle well touch the ground, then it was a matter of placing the arms with the wheels attached allowing the wheels to touch the ground, after I placed each arm I glued them from the inside one by one.

I have done some tests with the upper body and with the front fender attached to check the height compared to the real tank.

Here are the first photos of this build:

The photoetched parts

Kit is from 1996, but decals were printed in 2011, and also included a separate page instructions with more markings, Tamiya did a good job here.

No mold lines in the wheels, very crisp parts.

I hope you like it.
I will post more pictures soon

Cheers,

Guillem
CmdrCody
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC
Great work so far, the suspension looks fantastic. That is a LOT of photo etch to deal with. I can't wait to see how much of it you use. Good luck with your project, I will follow this one wih great interest. The Type 90 is one of my favorite tanks. Don M.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Very interesting project Guillem. I love your work on the suspension, it will definitely give your model a unique look.

Good luck!
Olivier
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:30 PM UTC
What a great idea! Maybe you should make the crew look more like they are really hanging on in the hatches. I think the guys in the picture look very relaxed, I mean, during a break like this, one really moves forward. Just my two cents...
Jacob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 11:49 PM UTC
Not being a fan of modern armor, I usually hop over these threads, but looking at your altered suspension has already hooked me on this build. Great job so far. This is what modelling is about. No hurry ... I always believe its worth taking the time to do it best you can, than rush just to get finished.
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thank you all for your comments friends

Quoted Text

Great work so far, the suspension looks fantastic. That is a LOT of photo etch to deal with. I can't wait to see how much of it you use. Good luck with your project, I will follow this one wih great interest. The Type 90 is one of my favorite tanks. Don M.

Thanks Don, yes that is a lot of photo etched, a tip that can be useful when dealing with such quantity is to mark which parts include photo etched on the model instructions.
That is what I did today and I was surprised by the quantity, it does not seem at first sight, that there are so many parts to use.
If there isn't any problem with a part (for example, broken or lost like with my PLA ZTZ99B build, some parts where so small that at the moment to catch them with the tweezers they just disappeared) I am going to try to use them all.

Quoted Text

Very interesting project Guillem. I love your work on the suspension, it will definitely give your model a unique look.

Good luck!
Olivier

Thanks Olivier, I agree with you, this tank pose will be interesting to represent because it is not seen very often on tank models and it will also show the ability of the Type 90 suspension. I also think that the angle will be proper to see in a better way the different areas of the tank.

I found the picture (originally 4224x3168 pixel) while searching for reference photos on Google, and I immediately thought that it would be a challenge to recreate this scenario.
I must say, my first idea was, like some other people represented, to paint it in a snow camo version, but I am going to enjoy it weathering a bit with mud, and since the picture is very good for reference I will try to make it similar as possible.

For anyone who wants the picture and cannot find it on Google, let me know and I will be glad to send the photo references I found.

Quoted Text

What a great idea! Maybe you should make the crew look more like they are really hanging on in the hatches. I think the guys in the picture look very relaxed, I mean, during a break like this, one really moves forward. Just my two cents...
Jacob

Absolutely agree with you Jacob, I will try to pose them in a relax moment, like if they feel proud of showing the ability of leaning the tank forward, like doing a demonstration.

Quoted Text

Not being a fan of modern armor, I usually hop over these threads, but looking at your altered suspension has already hooked me on this build. Great job so far. This is what modelling is about. No hurry ... I always believe its worth taking the time to do it best you can, than rush just to get finished.

Thanks for your words Frank, I also believe that in modelling, is always best to take it easy and accomplish the objectives one had in mind at the first moment the kit was bought.
For my previous (and first build of a modern tank) I spent 5 months until finished, but it was worth the time, pleasant result for me, and a lot of fun along the way

By the way, I am practically new on this world of armor modelling, I am used to civil vehicles such as bikes, also commercial airplanes... although when I was little kid I saw my dad making some military models, in some situations I do not know exactly the terminology, I just look at the real model and try to imitate it as much as possible, so my question here is: What does the green flag mean? I have seen some videos on Internet, some with red flag and green flag, my guess is that red flag means that the tank is currently being operated or in training (firing the main gun) and green flag mean that the tank is just in a break mode, tank may move but without using the main gun, that is my guess.

I hope to post more pictures soon

Cheers,
Guillem
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hello friends,

Here I post pictures of the first photo etched parts being placed.
These are placed in the rear fender. Still not sure if will be ok to place the tow cable due to the quantity of photo etched parts that will be needed, so maybe I place it later.

Cheers,

Guillem
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 - 10:41 PM UTC
Some more done with the drivers hatch:

I decided to continue with the rear panel and include the towing cable

The photo etched parts party will begin soon

Guillem
sinfuselaje
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
Great job Guillem!

Extraordinario trabajo amigo, me encanta como lo llevas!
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job Guillem!

Extraordinario trabajo amigo, me encanta como lo llevas!

Thanks for your comment Jose!
Gracias por tu comentario Jose!

Today I upload some photos of the work with the mesh, I have to say that these mesh match 100% perfect, however I decided to open the originals, it was not indicated in Eduard's instructions but I thought it would be more realistic than just gluing them over the plastic.

Also I have began to add diverse handles and other small details, unfortunately no photos of that yet, will take some later.

Cheers,
Guillem
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
Some more photos:

During the process I have lost four handles (lower left corner in the image) but seeing the Eduard parts there are much more... let's see if they put some more in case... really small parts.

I still have to add the handles on the right side skirt, as well as add more photo etched parts in the front right area.

Guillem
Sgt_Pickle
Visit this Community
Kaunas, Lithuania
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
Nice build you've got going there. Just a little question. Will you put something under the engine deck grills or make the side sponsons because as it stands now you can see through them and I think it will ruin the scale effect.
Looking forward for more updates.
sinfuselaje
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 09:35 AM UTC
I like. You use cianocrilate for to join the pieces? or decalfix? Thanks.

Me gusta Guillem. Usas cianocrilato para los fotograbados? Se de gente que esta usando decalfix, y les va aceptablemente bien...Gracias.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:54 AM UTC
Nice job on kneeling your Type 90! Looks like it was a pretty straight-forward modification? Interesting technique on cutting out the solid "mesh" grills as well.
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice build you've got going there. Just a little question. Will you put something under the engine deck grills or make the side sponsons because as it stands now you can see through them and I think it will ruin the scale effect.
Looking forward for more updates.

My first idea is to create and glue a plastic box made with Evergreen plastic, like a square without lid, just the sides and the bottom, and then painted black. So no other parts can be seen through.

Quoted Text

I like. You use cianocrilate for to join the pieces? or decalfix? Thanks.

Me gusta Guillem. Usas cianocrilato para los fotograbados? Se de gente que esta usando decalfix, y les va aceptablemente bien...Gracias.

Hola Jose, así es, uso cianocrilato para los fotograbados. No sabía lo de decalfix, gracias por la información!

Hello Jose, that is right, I use ciano to glue the photo etched. I didn't know about the decalfix, thanks for the info!

Quoted Text

Nice job on kneeling your Type 90! Looks like it was a pretty straight-forward modification? Interesting technique on cutting out the solid "mesh" grills as well.

Yes, it was a straight-forward modification but I still have to completely sand these pins where the arms were fitted in the "standard" position.

Now I am having some doubts about a part... I will explain here later.

Cheers,
Guillem
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hello guys,

This images are the "problem" I mentioned before:

There is the lid that hides the area of the shovel and the ax, there are at least 4 parts of photo etched in that area as far as I remember, so I was thinking to let it opened... but in the image of the tank in training it is closed... so I only used the photo etch in the shovel handle.

I included photo etched parts in the headlights and some other plastic parts, I believe I can start soon with the turret.

Cheers,
Guillem
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 10:11 PM UTC
looking good! I did this kit with the full photo etch set, but it's still in my to do section. I spent a good hour on the .50 cal machine gun alone, and replaced the barrel with a turned metal one
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 05:29 PM UTC
Hello all,

Keep progressing bit by bit with this Type 90, I am starting with the accessories such as the shovel and the hammer.

I also have made a plastic box that will be placed in the engine's compartment to avoid seeing the rear panel and the tracks through the mesh. Box will be painted black matt and probably will need to be modified in order for it to fit in the hull.

Next update will include more accessories updates.

Cheers,

Guillem
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2013 - 07:02 PM UTC
Hi,I love your work!I wanna do a similar thing with the tamiya type 10...if I'm not wrong you can also use with this the barrel for the M1a1/2 Abrams(RB model).
Regards
Ciro
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,I love your work!I wanna do a similar thing with the tamiya type 10...if I'm not wrong you can also use with this the barrel for the M1a1/2 Abrams(RB model).
Regards
Ciro

Thanks for your words Ciro, Type 10 is another build I would like to do in the future hope to see your project.

Here are some photos of how is the tank now, I am just about to start with the turret, I couldn't resist to mount its basic structure to see how it looks on the tank.

Lot of work to do yet with the turret removing plastic handles to be replaced by photo etched parts.

Cheers,

Guillem
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 10:44 PM UTC
to me it's a great work!!!!
I love all the pe!Will you paint it in the same camo of the photo or will you go with the winter camo?!?!
I'm waiting that voyager pe set for type 10 will be available to buy both the kit and the pe set.
Cheers

Ciro
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 04:53 AM UTC
Very nice! I like the idea of the dramatic pose using the suspension.

I didn't know the Type 90 had adjustable suspension... or is this just kinetic movement from a sudden halt?

I imagine you had to compensate to keep the tracks tense and not just lower the front, but raise the rear equally?

I still don't know how you guys get those tiny PE pieces to do what you want them to! Mine usually end up half way across the room either because they fling out of my tweezers or, more often than not, I've thrown them across the room in frustration...
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

to me it's a great work!!!!
I love all the pe!Will you paint it in the same camo of the photo or will you go with the winter camo?!?!
I'm waiting that voyager pe set for type 10 will be available to buy both the kit and the pe set.
Cheers

Ciro

Hello Ciro, thanks for your comment. At first I thought to paint it in winter camo but I saw that quite some people already did it, so I thought of the other idea at the first moment I saw that photo with the tank inclined forward, so yes, I will represent the camo as seen in the first photo of this thread. I will use it also as reference for weathering, let's see how it goes...

By the way, as for Voyager Model, I just checked their website and find this:
http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=PE35598
It is in their catalog since 2013-9-10, it is made for Tamiya Ref 35329.

Quoted Text

Very nice! I like the idea of the dramatic pose using the suspension.

I didn't know the Type 90 had adjustable suspension... or is this just kinetic movement from a sudden halt?

I imagine you had to compensate to keep the tracks tense and not just lower the front, but raise the rear equally?

I still don't know how you guys get those tiny PE pieces to do what you want them to! Mine usually end up half way across the room either because they fling out of my tweezers or, more often than not, I've thrown them across the room in frustration...

Thanks for your comment Bruce, tell you the truth, I do not know much about tanks... so I just tried to represent what the picture showed, instructions said something about the hydraulic suspension, so my guess is that the tank was able to vary its height, Tamiya instructions mentioned that "The hydraulic suspension is incorporated on four road wheels out of six on either side, thus allowing the tank's attitude to be adjusted according to the surrounding terrain".

The rubber tracks fitted to new position without problem, probably because they are rubber... but in any case I do not see them very tense, just like if suspension was in neutral position.
I laughed at what you said about the tweezers and the PE parts, that happens to me too, and I know the frustration... you see them in the tip of your tweezers and at the slight movement you hear like a "click" sound then the next time you look at the tweezers the PE part has disappeared, I was lucky with this one I think, only the small parts I lost (4) were the little handles, and I counted them and saw that not all parts from the PE fret are used.

Hope to post pictures soon, I guess I will start preparing the turret for its PE parts.

Cheers,
Guillem
blacksad
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
Very nice looking type 90 and clever suspension work !! I'll be watching your thread for updates.

By the way, just by replacing the "8" by a "7" in the url you've provided, I've obtained this :

http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=PE35597
Roca46
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice looking type 90 and clever suspension work !! I'll be watching your thread for updates.

By the way, just by replacing the "8" by a "7" in the url you've provided, I've obtained this :

http://www.voyagermodel.com/productdetails.asp?itemid=PE35597

Thanks very much Tom!
I didn't know Voyager Model also made a photo etched set for the Type 90.

At first sight, both Eduard and Voyager Model seem similar, however VM included some extra parts.

As far as I can see, these are the front fenders, the gunner's periscope (completely made of PE) and the right cover for the shovel and ax (also completely made of PE), oh and also saw they completely made an ammunition box, they left the left one which has a wood texture on Tamiya's plastic.

In my opinion, VM "exceeded" a bit in some parts such as front fenders and gunner's periscope (although this one is ok). Front fenders, the "rubber" area is already great like Tamiya did with their plastic, and for the gunner's periscope, well, Eduard included parts for that but VM completely redone it in photo etched parts, so it is a good addition anyway.

Very similar kits though, for the Eduard to be completed, I also had do buy apart the mesh set.

Anyway, once I have mine finished with all photo etched parts, I will take some photos so the models can be compared to see their differences in these photo etched parts, although it does not matter much now because of this Eduard set being discontinued, but without doubt, Voyager Models is the way to go if I want to make this tank again.

Here are some photos of what I've been doing lately, the handles of the main turret has been removed so I replace them with photo etched handles:

Cheers,

Guillem
 _GOTOTOP