_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M-577 with a bit of detailing
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I've been busy with adding some detail to the M-577.

Base kit is the Tamiya M-577 with an Academy M-113.

I replaced the tie-downs/footman loops with the excellent resin ones from Arms Corps Models. Way easier them having to mess around with PE ones from Eduard which I also used on the model.

I repositioned the drivers hatch as the Academy one is on a wrong angel for the M-577.

I replaced and added bolts and resin T-shackles. The antennas were replaced the ones from Diti productions.

Going over some reference photos I found the addition of the large (from what I gathered from the net) RC-292 antenna a nice one. I could not find a lot of reference photos so I had to make a few geus-stimates and make use of a liberal amount of artistic licence but I am content with the result.

The generator also got some attention and was further detailed with some styrene and metal wire.

I also remade some of the tent poles from metal tube while others just had the ends drilled out.

I am sure I am forgetting one or two things but one with the photos.

*EDIT* better photos *EDIT*

*EDIT* better photos *EDIT*

Only thing I am unsure of the the hoist. Can I keep it as is (secured) or was it always stowed until t was use?

Still some detailing to do but it is getting close to the painting stage.

Anything I missed or mistakes I made?

Cheers,

JW
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Looking good JW. I don't know much about the vehicle but I'm sure the thread will be noticed by some M113 gurus. The thing I wanted to ask was: are those fruils? how many links per side on the tracks?

Mario
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:40 AM UTC
Janw.;

VERY nice! I think I can hear the clatter of that AC / ventilation unit as we "speak"!

I am NO 113 / 577 guru. Not hardly! But I was around them a few times... Details certainly changed from year to year and depending on who was using it where. My experiences in USAREUR in Germany in the later 70's never included one motoring along with its hoist up, for example, but parked-and-set-up units offered quite a bit of eye candy for tech and military detail fans... As you have the aerials up, this one will be a parked-and-set-up item, so...

What's to be your paint-scheme?

Bob
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks Mario,

Yes those are Friuls. But as to many links. I did not count them. I just keep adding links until I have the same length as the vinyl kit tracks. Test fitting will then show if I need to add or remove links. I only glue and clip the pins after I have the track length I need. So sorry not a fixed amount.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:49 AM UTC
He Bob,

Thanks for your input. So hoist up it is Adds a bit more visual interest.

I am going for a NATO three tone finish. Also want to add the tap on the side of the hull ( I think it's for the mars training equipment). Also playing with the idea to add IFF panels.

Cheers,

JW
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hallo Janwillem,
Since I spend quite some hours in the M577, being my 'office' in my M109A2 artillery unit, I will give you prsonal experiences. There is, as far as it concerns Dutch users, no clear answer. ( typical military issue: staff writes manuals, gunners decide to do different (read: better!)).
The older generators were quite noisy, so we tend to take them from the vehicle and install them further from the vehicle. But.......during field exercises, where the time a unit spends on one location is not defined in advance, we just let them at the top. In such cases, the hoist remained in the stored position.
In case vehiles were camouflaged with nets, the hoist was just dropped on the roof. Also, during technical shooting exercises, generators were installed next to the vehicle, leaving the hoist as you build.
So, all together, every situation is possible. In case of a driving vehicle, it should be down in any case.
So, so far the Dutch (read: just one battery) experience.
I guess that, since the M577 series were used in many units ( also in Dutch brigade HQ's and reconaissance and cavalerie battalions), you may get many answers. Not to speak about our US allies!

Furthermore: very beautiful build. Waiting to see it painted ( hint:41e Afdeling Veldartillerie, C-Bt ) And the tent is still on your bench???

Though, the antennas you used would indicate a armored brigade or corps level.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks for your input Paul.

The main issue is that I haven't found any photos of a M-577 with the hoist installed so that is why I was unsure of whether or not to install it.

As for doing one of 41e Afdeling Veldartillerie, C-Bt. Doing a Dutch one will involve a bit to much scratching.

Cheers,

JW
casailor
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:07 AM UTC
I served in an Engineer Battalion HQ and we had a M577. We generally dismounted the DC generator and set it alongside the track right under the hoist. We also left the hoist up and used it as an additional support for our camoflage nets. We also had two 10 Kilowatt AC generators set up that we alternated using. When we set up, the tent was attached to the back of the track, and when we had multiple 577s, the tents were joined together on the sides near the back to form a Tactical Operations Center (TOC). That was in CONUS in the late seventies.
casailor
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
In US service, under tactical conditions, the large antennas were usually set up at a distance, since they were very hard to hide when mounted onthe track.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thank you for your input Richard,

Having people that used to serve on specific vehicles is a great resource.

As it looks it is going to be a M-577 that parked. Thanks to the input from you guys I am going to keep the hoist as is.

Does anybody maybe have a few photos of the generator being hoisted or with the winch fixed to the hoist? I can't seem to find any of that on the net.

As for the tent I am going to have it folded on top of the tent poles. I still need to figure out what materials to use and how neat or messy it is going to be stowed away.

Again thank you guys for your input
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 05:47 PM UTC
And another question. If the generator is left in the basket during operation how was it hooked up to the vehicle. I know the generator has two outlets but where inlets on the M-577?
Any photos of that?

Again thanks for the information.

Cheers,

JW
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 07:35 PM UTC
Jan, check your email.

Cheers Jason
ACM
Korean123
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 08:22 PM UTC
May i ask what did you use for the antenna?string or something?
best wishes.
Tommy
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And another question. If the generator is left in the basket during operation how was it hooked up to the vehicle. I know the generator has two outlets but where inlets on the M-577?
Any photos of that?

Full size picture from Primeportal

HTH

H.P.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 09:18 PM UTC
@H.P. and Jason,

Thank you for the photos. Those will help for sure

@Tommy

I used stainless steel wire. Will bend a little but not lose its shape to easily.

Cheers,

JW
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody maybe have a few photos of the generator being hoisted or with the winch fixed to the hoist? I can't seem to find any of that on the net.

Here's at least a TM drawing :

from tpub.com :

http://personnelcarrier.tpub.com/TM-9-2350-261-10/css/TM-9-2350-261-10_484.htm

Looks like there's no winch, just a chain hoist....

H.P.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 11:37 PM UTC
Great find Henri-Pierre,

At least it gives me an idea of how it should look.

merci
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 12:15 AM UTC
You're welcome You can also take a look at page 14 of this issue of The Preventive Maintenance Monthly :

http://www.popularmilitary.com/publications/zolon.pdf

H.P.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 02:42 PM UTC
I love your detail. One thing I noticed in studying photos was the storage of the camo poles along the sides of the vehicle.

janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Thank’s for you input.
I based the equipment on what I saw on reference photos. I did not see those long poles on the side of the vehicle.
Poses the question, what are they and what are they used for? Any information on those?

Cheers,

JW
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bruce,

Thank’s for you input.
I based the equipment on what I saw on reference photos. I did not see those long poles on the side of the vehicle.
Poses the question, what are they and what are they used for? Any information on those?

Cheers,

JW

Goede morgen, Jan-Willem,

The poles at the back of the M577 ( nicknamed "bakkerskar" (backery van) in the Dutch Army ) are used as the frame for the tent. The poles at the side are used to carry the camouflage nets, which can be drapped over the top and sides of the vehicle. Due to the fact that a M577 acts as a mobile field office, many people walk in and out, or are working under theses nets. For convenience, these nets are hanging rather high ( 2 - 2,5 m above ground level ), thus needing long poles.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 - 11:34 PM UTC
He Paul,

Thanks for the explanation on the poles on the side of the vehicle. Those will add some more interest to the model.

Cheers,

JW
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Looks great! I had a M577A2 that was my nemesis when I was stationed at Fort Sill...the f'ing thing was never up and always circled x (was "deadlined" but could be still operated if the battalion maintenance officer thought it was safe enough). No matter what I did it to it (was the mechanic assigned to it), once one thing was fixed, something else broke on it. I even got an article 15 because of something stupid I did as a PFC on it )
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 02:37 AM UTC
So everybody has some memories to that vehicle!
My personal ones are thoughts of the awfull mix of human " gases", rifle oil, howitser gun tube cleaning agent, military preservation grease and the various odors, coming from the unendless amount of canned Indonesian food ( Still can not forget you, Mr. Koen Visser ! ) we broiled in the back during rainy automn field exercises across the West German fields, that one could almost shuffle out of the vehicle!!!
As a young artillery lieutenant, I had to share it with a corporal driver, two NGO-calculators, loads of personal gear and various radios for the artillery radio network.

Yes............those were the days!
casailor
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 02:38 AM UTC
I don't have any photos, but as I remember, there was a lifting bracket that ran from the front to the back of the generator that looked like a very flattened triangle with the hole for the block and tackle at the apex. I'm reaching back almost twenty years, so don't take my memory as gospel.
 _GOTOTOP