_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tasca's Sherman Easy Eight tracks
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi all, I just received Tasca's M4A3E8 Sherman yesterday (thanks again Kenneth). And the kit supplied tracks are the strangest I have ever seen. Two vinyl tracks to make 1 run, separate cleats (?) you glue into the rubber tracks and guide horns that you also glue on to the track runs. Has anybody had any experience with Tasca's version of T80 tracks?
BTW, how is the kit in general ?
Thanks in advance and have a good weekend all!
Tom
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC
I built the WW2 version of the E8 and had no problems with it what so ever. I did build up the suspension units differently then they suggested in the directions though. I forget how I did it vs the directions (built it over 2 years ago) but it was easier doing it my way then the way they suggested doing it.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC
If you're familiar with the actual T-80 track, you'll find that the Tasca design is very faithful to the actual track. Although tedious, the end product looks great. the Tasca M4A3E8 is fantastic, BTW
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks Scott & Roy for your quick reply !
I forgot to ask what type of glue did you use for the tracks. CA or something else ?
TIA !
Tom
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
I use simple liquid cement (a big ol' can of MEK for refills to my Tamiya super thin bottle and applicator).
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
You might want to read the review of this kit here. I used the same liquid plastic glue that I used on the rest of the kit. The tracks look great, but are a soul-crushing exercise in repetition! Do a little bit at each sitting, diverting to more fun bits every once in a while to preserve sanity...
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 05:47 PM UTC
Thanks again Roy. And, thank you Tom for the link. And a big DUH for me. I should have checked the review section myself. BTW, Tom nice name !
Tom
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You might want to read the review of this kit here. I used the same liquid plastic glue that I used on the rest of the kit. The tracks look great, but are a soul-crushing exercise in repetition! Do a little bit at each sitting, diverting to more fun bits every once in a while to preserve sanity...

Hi, All! I didn't have any problems with the kit-supplied tracks in my TASCA WWII-version M4A3E8, and it looks like our fellow modellers did OK with them, too. However, tedious individual link tracks are why I prefer DRAGON's "DS" rubber bands for US tanks and AFVs. I certainly have no objections to "link & length" tracks, especially when they're microscopic as found on tiny vehicles such as TAMIYA's French UE Armored Carrier, RIICH's Universal Carrier, the lighter types of Maultiers with the Carden-Lloyd Suspensions, the BRONCO M22 Locust kits and a few others. I'm even OK with the "link & length" tracks on TAMIYA's Hetzer, IS-2 and ISU-152 kits. But when it comes to building up DRAGON's "Magic Tracks" on larger vehicles, they are surely a much cheaper alternative to buying the metal FRIULMODELISMO track sets.

I agree- Assembling just a few track links in between other assembly steps will break up the monotony. That's how I assemble my individual-link track sets. If you can spend the extra money, buying a track assembly jig set will also help to alleviate the boredom AND quicken your assembly time... TASCA sells these; they're not the cheapest tools, but they DO pay for themselves over time...
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC
Thanks Dennis. I have a home made one that works (just) OK. I too subscribe to the "glue a few links and go on to something fun to glue then hop back a do a few more links while the other dries" method.
Tom
 _GOTOTOP