_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Aussies in the Jungle
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 05:37 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Many thanks for looking in and the comment,.

Some more work on blending things in. I used Mig filters of Green to enrich the grasses and some Yellow for grey on the plant leaves. I need to experiment in painting some of the fern leaves a lighter green so I'll see how that turns out.

The tree leaves have been touched with white and given a yellow flower.

Some long grasses has been added.

Some more experiments required but this view has a better blend.

Cheers

Al
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC
I love what you've done with the different plants and tufts and all that... reminds me a lot of some of the scenes in my daughter's Lara Croft Playstation games... gives off the same ambiance
Hisham
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 06:46 PM UTC
Hi Hisham,

Many thanks for looking in and the comment.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I put the troops in to make sure I had enough room for the kit etc, scattered some plant debris around the floor, added another fern and the floor creeper and I've started work on the bamboo back drop (not shown).

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi folks.

These are the Green Line Bamboo trees. You get 3 trunks that come in two lengths, made of white metal and two sheets of paper leaves.

If these work out they will provide some height an filler behind the Buddha.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Some of the bamboo leaves.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Th is the first of the bamboo I'll add two tall pieces and two small pieces behind the Buddha.

Al

jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC
Nice diorama! Love the bamboo and liana. My dad served in Papua New Guinea and the Philippines; I wish he was still here with me. I'm sure he'd appreciate your little scene.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi JP,

Thanks for looking in and the comments. Glad you're enjoying it so far. It would be nice if a few more Commonwealth figures were available for this theater of war.

Of all the places the allied soldiers served, the jungle is probably the most difficult to come to terms with.

Cheers

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:23 AM UTC

Hi Alan,

it turned out nicely indeed!! Well done Sir!

One little thing I would mend is the long grass tuft in the foreground! These bundles simply look like what they are...a bundle of long hemp fibres! You could "plant" a couple of jungle greens around the base...et voilą!!

Congrats again!

Cheers

Romain
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hi Romain,

Thanks for looking in and the thoughts. Planting is a slow process, at least for me. Once I get the bamboo done I have some short grasses I plan to add, I'm also considering adding some additional ivy clinging to the wall and adding some moss here and there. There is also the possibility of a small snake in the grass.

Cheers

Al
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:07 PM UTC
From the trenches to the jungle, you're sure getting around, Alan!

This vignette is coming along very nicely, though.

FWIW, I think your idea of the bamboo in the background is a good one. It'll give some "verticality" to the presentation and clearly establish the front of the scene. I think it'll help keep the viewer's attention and focus on the figures and not allow the view to "wander" off the back edge of the base.

How are you coloring the bamboo leaves, BTW? Did you paint them or use something else like pastels? What are you using to attach them to the trunks (stalks?)? The bamboo is a very interesting product. I might have to give it a try on some future project.

As always, thanks for taking the time to detail your work and post up the pictures.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I hand painted the leaves whilst they were on the sheet. They have 3/4 small attachment points but are not too difficult to get off. The 'trunks' are white metal and you'll need to use an adhesive that dries quickly so I used CA+ glue. I did try some PVA, thinking paper, but drying time would be much to long to support the weight of the leaves.

The Green Line products are very nice but probably better suited to spraying rather than hand painting. Looking at some references on the web, colours vary from deep rich shiny green to a wide range of paler greens to brown/buff depending on the area and age of the plant.

The bamboo will add some extra height and depth and hopefully give the idea of the jungle slowly reclaiming the ruin and as you say focus the eye into rather than past the scene.

With only 3 trunks in this set this is very much an edge of scene product, as I thought they were expensive for the the quantity provided.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:45 PM UTC
Hi folks,

With some bamboo in place.

Al

more later.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:05 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Well I think I'm about done with this one, I could go on adding plants and still not finish. Attempting a jungle scene was challenging to say the least, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

Cheers

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi Alan. Another great dio. What a difference the high vegetation makes to this dio. Reallygives the jungle effect. Some colours look very blue-green. I alway imagine the jungle to be more lush and brighter in colours. Regardless ... full score for detils and interesting theme.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for looking in and the comments. I didn't use any blue in the vegetation, so that must be a trick of the light and the reflection of the background. There is a whole spectrum of colour in the jungle, depends on whether it is primary or secondary jungle; has been cleared, planted or inhabited.

The bamboo could be greener most probably as new growth tends to be lush, but it is what it is as I didn't want too sharp a contrast more a blend of colours.

We could do wit a few more suitable figures, that's for sure as it is an interesting landscape to model as well as an interesting period to model.

You don't see that many jungle scenes probably because of the planting needed lol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi folks,

As the build is quite generic I was thinking 1943 Operation Cartwheel during the New Guinea Campaign?

If I can't go to unit level I do like a time and place.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
I am liking the way this one turned out Alan.
I think this is my first time seeing an Aussies in the Jungle dio.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Many thanks. It compliments and contrasts with my ANZAC Cove one I did some time back.

I haven't built that many scenes since I started modelling again so each one is a steep learning curve.

I've learnt enough from it to think that a Chindits offering might be a possibility in the future. Pack Mules and mortars, men struggling up and along a trail is one I have in mind, one day

Cheers

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry,

Many thanks. It compliments and contrasts with my ANZAC Cove one I did some time back.

I haven't built that many scenes since I started modelling again so each one is a steep learning curve.

I've learnt enough from it to think that a Chindits offering might be a possibility in the future. Pack Mules and mortars, men struggling up and along a trail is one I have in mind, one day

Cheers

Al

Oh yes, a column of Chindits crossing a creek, climbing the bank, etc! I can see it from here!!

Cheers

Romain
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Romain,

I've wanted to do a Chindits dio for a long time. I had even consider one with a DC3 Dakota plane when it was in the offering from MB, sadly now that doesn't seem to be a goer.

It would be nice to see a few Chindit specific figures, or Allied jungle figures in general. Failing the arrival of any new ones the Dragon set of troops in Italy might do. I thought these might work equally well in jungle green, and I have a few mules from the Italeri Breda set.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:29 PM UTC

Hi Al,

yup, these italo-brits are an option, and you can always check if the US Marines figures match in height. They could provide viable elements too.
Firestorm heads???.. or even scratched slouch hats...and finding a source for many backpacks (no go with italo-brits unfortunately) seem to be the prominent issues. Oh yes, and mules/donkeys of course.

An interesting project indeed!

Good luck!

R.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hi Romain,

I'll see what else becomes available in the next year or two, as I say just some possibilities for the future. I'd like to do a Sherman in the Far East at some point so who knows.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP