_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Aussies in the Jungle
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I recently did a review of the Firestorm Model Australian Infantryman and their Tanker.

Infantryman

Tanker

There aren't that many Jungle troops around and I wanted to do a small O Group scene with maps and a radio so I've incorporated the standing Infantryman from Wee Friends and the Kneeling Chap from Sovereign, both also reviewed here:

Kneeling Soldier

British Infantryman

The review is of the original Jekrei metal figure by the late Pete Morton, but I used the new resin version from Friendship Models Wee Friends range.

For a base I choose the Verlinden Buddha. I extended the paved area and reused the top section of the wall. I didn't want a high wall that blocked the overall view.

The walls area bit plain so I've sent off for some reality in Scale flower pots. These should fit and also be in keeping with various reference pics I've looked at.

The figs are WIPs but here are some possible placement options

The scene will be a small O group with radio and map at a halt point on a jungle patrol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:33 PM UTC
The Heads are also from Firestorm - Aussie Slouch Hats

Slouch Hats

and were left overs from the Digger conversions I've been working on.

I'll use one of the Resicast Type 18 Radios from their excellent offerings.

UK Wireless Sets

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
Cool!
I will be watching this one for sure to get tips for my MG crew. The Commonwealth troops thing is all very new to me so I can take all the help I can get.
I am curious about the webbing at the back where it attaches to the belt at the buckles. If no other gear was carried did these straps get stowed somehow or just left hanging?
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Normally just left hanging through the buckles. On parade there is a method of rolling up the ends but that would never have been used in combat conditions.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 03:53 AM UTC
Here's the base with a little paint added.

Al
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
I think this is going to turn out great Alan.

Tom
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

Thanks for looking in. Very little around for Commonwealth jungle options. Hopefully the figures will turn out OK and with some shrubbery added it will make for a good scene.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
Some interesting photographs here of Aussies ion various theaters of war.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/australian-forces/?g2_page=1

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A little more work on the figs.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Started a bit of ground work on the base, first covered the land area with some soil/potting compost taken forma pot on the balcony while SWMBO is out. Then added some scrub grass and flowers from Green Line. Next I covered the soil in some Mig dust of what I think is an appropraite colour.

Work continues on the figures and equipment. The figs are nearly done with just some blending aroudn the eyes to finish. Radio is painted and I need to add the front cover and a mike and some headphones.

I plan to scatter some Forest debris around the inside and I'm waiting on some vines and ferns to give it a more Jungle feel.

Anyway progress so far.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC
Wow! That was fast. And pretty cool as well.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for looking in. Ways to go yet.

Some work on some small kit.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A bit more progress. Figures are about done, added a small side arm to the officer and a machete to the radio operator. Wireless is done and so is most of the Platoon kit.

Final work on the structure will have to wait until the flower pots and vines arrive. If you look at the last picture where the plastic tops are is where I plan to place the large urns from the flower pot set (providing they fit). This should give a better balance in height. To break up the stone walls the hanging pots might well do the job, one one either outer wall.

I normally don't like photographing in direct sunlight, but in this case it's most appropriate lol.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hmmm, not an ANZAC in sight in this thread! Don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad one?

Al
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 07:42 PM UTC
Maaaaaate! from an aussie, brilliant work! the base is awesome, and the figures fantastic, really good dio.

what color did you use for the greens?
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 07:49 PM UTC
Outstanding work as ever! Love the whole look and balance, excellent groundwork and painting on the figures. Top result.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 08:45 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

Thanks for looking in. It is good to have some feedback from down under. Glad you approve and thanks for the kind comments. I've been reading up on Australian operations in New Guinea so I hope the setting is in keeping with there.

Some very interesting stuff most of which I'm not familiar with in any detail. Lots of small scale actions, fighting patrols, recon etc as well as more major operations.

For the 'green' I used FX49 Khaki with FX26 Deep Green added in until I got what felt right. There are many shades of green you could use from new to old and worn uniforms. As these guys have full kit then I felt a new look would be appropriate.

Hi Karl,

Again thanks for the kind comments. I'm not 1000% sure about the wall colouring so I may do a little more work there. Still some vines and ferns to add, possibly a small tree. The Firestorm heads and felt hats open up some good possibilities from WW1 to the present day.

The DML Copmmonwealth in Italy set would make good jungle troops too and I have in mind a Too Late the Hero's patrol which is the thinking that partly lead to this one, well that and the events around the Kokoda Trail.

I'd love to see a wider variety of ANZAC troops and also some Chindits for us in Burma as the possible dis-orders of dress are terrific lol.

For slightly later operations some Owen SMGs would be very useful too.

Thanks guys.

Al
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 11:09 PM UTC
Gidday Al, nice little dio mate, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it on this thread but just about all Aussie troops in the Pacific theatre wore US gaiters and not the puttees...! Bit late now for your figs, but hey a little bit of putty angled down under the boot and a strap and they will look like gaiters. Sorry mate, I didn't see this earlier.
Cheers, Jason.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi Jason,

Thanks for dropping in and the comments. I don't have a problem with the anklets although as you rightly say many Australians had the US style gators. Here is a picture of troops in New Guinea in 1945.

They appear to have anklets and I would guess that was similar for the early days of the war, before America joined in.

The Australians had their own style of Anklet if I remember correctly, slightly different from the British version. The ANZACs served throughout South East Asia and I've been trying to determine the best setting for the build which could be anywhere from Malaya, Singapore,Dutch East Indies, New Guinea, Borneo and the Philippines, although if I was going the Philippines route US style gators would be a strong contender.

The Americans didn't enter the war until 1941 so there is quite a time gap before their offensive operations in the Pacific Area and therefore the appearance of their kit.

Based on that thinking I feel fairly comfortable with the uniforms.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Well a slight moment of madness . I'm not exactly sure what prompted the purchase of these other than the colour .

Anyway I got some of the Woodland Scenic small trees. These are pretty basic and designed for railway modellers. They are made up of a clump of stuff the name for which I'm not sure. They have a plastic trunk and branches and come with a removable base so you can pin them into the ground if you want.

I wasn't really that impressed so decided to rip off the cump and see what was underneath. Surprisingly there was quite a decent set of branches. The hardest part has been removing the large amount of PVA glue used to secure the clump in the first place. The branches were them separated and bent into various shapes and I've started to add some of the foliage to the ends of individual branches. Whether or not this will prove effective remains to be seen, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll use some filters to add colour and depth to the structure if it turns out OK.

Can't really recommend these though.

Cheers

Al
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
I should have known better Al, trying to get you on that one mate. I just went through all my Aussie reference material from 'Kokoda' (Paul Hams book) and 'A bastard of a place' (Peter Brune) to name a couple. With images from 41- 43 having diggers wearing the old 'wraps' from WW1 era to gaiters and anklets. It appears the early militias (39th Battalion) had the wraps to kick off with at Kokoda and later when the Regular Army infantry units arrived in 1942 they are wearing the US style gaiters. So thanks mate for checking me on that one. I like that pic you posted above too, have never seen that one before. Cheers, Jason.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the confirmation, I don't have any reference books specifically on the Australians although their actions often feature in my thinking. From what I have seen there is quite a mix of kit especially after the Americans come into the war.

I've done a bit of work on the tree, but I really don't know what to make of it . You can see how much stuff I took off it. Any thoughts anyone?

I'd like something up the side of the wall, just not sure if this might be it?

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Following a conversation with Rick (aka The Bear) I've done a little more work on the walls. I thought the original effort was a bit bland and I wanted to show a difference between the quality if the stone work and the Buddha which would have been most probably carved from superior stone. (Maybe )

Anyway here's the result so far.

Cheers

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC

Hi Al,

love the little dio a bunch! Aussies in the jungle combines 2 of my favs!!

If you allow me just one suggestion....leave that plastic tree out!!
While you are right that the scene is missing something, I have troubles living with a "tree" that is plastic with synthetic foam!

Some sort of ferns maybe..?? Or a short growing palm plant??
Whatever...as long as it is not plastic!!

Cheers

Romain
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2013 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Romain,

The plastic tree has already been consigned to the bin. I couldn't live with the foam things. Mother nature has a possible alternative I'm looking at now.

I still think some height on that side would be good. The flower pots may solve the problem when they arrive.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP