_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Matilda in Caunter scheme
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 04:47 PM UTC
This is Tamiya's 35300 Matilda kit. It was detailed with TMD's desert Matilda conversion which brings it to a more accurate North Africa Matilda version. I also used decals from Echelon.

All 3 base colors are straight Tamiya colors. Field grey, IJN grey green, and Buff. From there, oils and various AK products did all the weathering. I want to do a small base and a single figure as well, so I may update this once those are finished.

By the way, the pictures were taken by my phone. Not too shabby for a phone!:)

Thanks for looking!

This last one was taken using the 'panorama' feature on my phone. It distorted the turret a bit, but it's a pretty neat photo.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hiya Jesse, long time no see.

Fantastic Matilda my man! As good as ive seen anywhere, you are a talented modeler Jesse and im a big fan....well done sir.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 07:42 PM UTC
Nice job, Jesse.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 11:56 PM UTC
Nice work Jesse.

Al

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 12:18 AM UTC
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:05 AM UTC
Well done!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
Beautiful work!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 03:39 AM UTC
Very nicely done!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC
Well done, Jesse.

That's very nice indeed - all the way 'round!

Did you happen to take any before-painting pics? It'd be interesting to see what all you did to it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the base and figure when you get those done.

It's good to see you posting back on Armorama. It seems like it's been a long time. Welcome back!
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
very nice work.. will have to look up more of your posts... i am doing a DAK 222 so the desert weathering is something I am looking out for - i am also adding a "liberated" sand channel that my 222 will have mounted (not sure where yet) so may do that in more "British" buff colour (would that be correct for one taken form a LRDG vehicle?)
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments.

Here she is just after the initial base colors were applied.

As for construction, she looked a lot like these.

I decided not to use the lakeman mount for the MG and just used the kit parts there. Fit on the resin bits was very good. They really aren't much of a 'conversion'. They're Tamiya parts with some minor added/revised detail cast very well. It's actually probably a pretty good "first resin conversion" for someone looking to branch out. The rear mounted rack to hold the water cans comes all in PE. I had some trouble with that, so mine is a mix of the TMD PE and some strip/angle stock to make it look about right. They were field mods and there were multiple variations. Mine's more of a mixture of what looked right.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 06:07 AM UTC
Good going Jesse! Nice work on the Matilda... the Queen of the Desert!

I think we might as well trash/sell our cameras if a phone can do the job that well!

Jeff
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good going Jesse! Nice work on the Matilda... the Queen of the Desert!

I think we might as well trash/sell our cameras if a phone can do the job that well!

Jeff

Having good lighting, and a nice background goes a long way. I touch up the photos a bit to get the the 'white' background, but not much else. Takes about 15 seconds per photo.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
Jess- great workmanship. How did you achieve the straight lines between the camouflage colors? Tape, eyeball, or what? If you did use tape how did you get around the many protrusions on the turret?
thanks
DJ
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jess- great workmanship. How did you achieve the straight lines between the camouflage colors? Tape, eyeball, or what? If you did use tape how did you get around the many protrusions on the turret?
thanks
DJ

Normal painter's blue tape. I took the turret off, and did the best I could. I used the guides on the back of the Echelon decals, which were researched by Mike Starmer to be pretty accurate. I also have Mike's book about the Caunter scheme, which is helpful for the colors.

Where I couldn't get the tape to sit down perfect, I basically sprayed from an angle that didn't spray paint under small gaps where possible. Where there was a little over spray after, I touched it up. It's certainly not perfect, but it's good enough. As you can see, I also did the base colors before painting the tracks, and that includes the tracks visible if you look up from the bottom into the side armor. I just masked off the outside, sprayed my track color, and went back after and touched up the hull. It's not perfect, but that area is pretty well shadowed anyway, so I'm not too concerned.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC
Great job on the desert queen there! I was always under the impression that the colors were more of a blue but you seam to have done your homework there
Thanks for sharing and excellent job
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

thanks
DJ

Normal painter's blue tape. I took the turret off, and did the best I could. I used the guides on the back of the Echelon decals, which were researched by Mike Starmer to be pretty accurate. I also have Mike's book about the Caunter scheme, which is helpful for the colors.

Where I couldn't get the tape to sit down perfect, I basically sprayed from an angle that didn't spray paint under small gaps where possible. Where there was a little over spray after, I touched it up. It's certainly not perfect, but it's good enough. As you can see, I also did the base colors before painting the tracks, and that includes the tracks visible if you look up from the bottom into the side armor. I just masked off the outside, sprayed my track color, and went back after and touched up the hull. It's not perfect, but that area is pretty well shadowed anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

Jess-- many thanks for responding to my questions.
Beautiful work
Thanks
DJ
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be looking forward to seeing the base and figure when you get those done.

This has actually been finished for a few days, but I can't seem to find the battery charger for my 'good' camera. So here are photos taken with my phone.

Base is a ceramic floor tile and wood putty as the groundwork.

Figure is from Wee Friends, and while not on the level of Alpine, is certainly a solid resin figure.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC

Hi Jesse,

in the process of discovering your superb work, I cannot but express my admiration!

Thanks for sharing this project with us!! I've already learned a lot so far, such as....the colours were a lot "greener" than I thought....and the "Queen of the Desert" is actually much smaller than I thought if you judge it by the figure (nice enough I fully agree).

The little vignette is perfect: superb vehicle, nicely painted figure fitting the scene and brilliant terrain.

The idea with the tile is great!

Well done indeed!!

Cheers

Romain
 _GOTOTOP