_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Kanonenjagdpanzer
solipsistnation
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
This is the Revell Germany Kanonenjagdpanzer, with an RB Model metal barrel and Friul metal tracks. I decided I was done messing with it yesterday and hit it with the dullcote. I used it to try out a dot filter with oils for the first time and some pigment stuff I hadn't done before.

I know I could have done a better job with the seams along the top of the hull-- there's actually a lot of putty and sanding in under there, but I could have spent a week on it and decided it was time to move on. (I tend to get bogged down in detail so stuff sits on the bench for weeks...)

The decals look pretty new, though, and for whatever reason, even with a ton of MicroSol, I couldn't get the edges to disappear. I think I finally hit them with paint and the dot filter but if you look closely you can still see them. Any advice on getting the decals to look better? Anything else going on here that seems weird? This is about the fourth 1/35 kit I've built since getting back into it a year and a half ago...

(Here's a link to a gallery of full-sized images... http://imgur.com/a/EsUSh )
IronOwl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
That's a very nice Job I have seen a few of these in Germany long ago. thanks for sharing.

If I may ask do you know if they still produce this kit/or sell this kit.

again Great Job

Sascha(Ironowl)
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
Nice job. It looks very nice to me. I like the weathering with the dot filters and pigments. If you had fun doing it, that's all that counts.

Jeff
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi mate

I've had similar difficulties getting decals to blend in. To me they always look a little too bright and sharp. Now I spray them on using stencils whenever I can. It gives a lot more control and I quite like distressing the markings using a hairspray technique to blend them into the rest of the weathering. To me there's nothing worse than something like a heavily faded whitewash overlaid with sharp, crisp perfect markings.

Nice job though.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
Ps did you gloss the decals once they'd set - usually helps
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
Looks good to me, maybe the mud/rust marks on the tracks are a bit to bright/red, might just be the colour reproduction on the camera though.
The dot filters make a huge difference to the finnish, I tried it for the first time a while back and it was a "Eureka" moment.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 11:54 AM UTC
Sounds like you ran into a set of thick decals. A friend told me he uses progressive layers of Future and fine sanding to get his to blend in better.

Nice job on the AFV, though.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
I like it, looks good to me man!

One of my favorites. I didn't know friuls were available for this so now there's no excuse to start on mine because the kits tracks are terrible!

Jeff
solipsistnation
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 12:04 PM UTC
Yeah, I used Future under them, MicroSet and MicroSol on them, and then Future over them, and then the dot wash and some dust (ground-up chalk pastels) and then dullcote. Fine sanding sounds pretty interesting-- I may try that sometime. Thanks.

solipsistnation
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 20, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a very nice Job I have seen a few of these in Germany long ago. thanks for sharing.

If I may ask do you know if they still produce this kit/or sell this kit.

Thanks!

I don't think they do still make the kit-- I got it from somebody on eBay.
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 05:10 PM UTC
Looks good to me the faults you mention are not apparent on your photos as opposed to what you are eyeballing in general, some stock decals suck,most of them do.I suggest either dry transfer decals or stencil markings.Keep in mind perfect model presentation on Armorama is dependent on perfect photographic skills need to be a pro at photography.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 05:22 PM UTC
Very nice build. While I doubt any KaJaPz in service would have looked that "old" the weathering is very well done. I like the streaking a lot. One thing I would change if its not too late, the tracks shouldn't have any sag.

Erik
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice build. While I doubt any KaJaPz in service would have looked that "old" the weathering is very well done. I like the streaking a lot. One thing I would change if its not too late, the tracks shouldn't have any sag.

Erik

Like Erik I think it doesn't look like an in service vehicle, more like a museum exhibit that has been left outside for many years.

Very impressive model nonetheless.

Cheers,

Christophe
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2013 - 09:54 PM UTC
Very nice build!
Thanks for sharing the photos!

Two things:
On the Revell website, the Kanonenjagdpanzer is no longer shown. Therefore, the only ones available are via marktplaats.nl, e-bay and alike. I can recognize your remarks about sink holes and sanding. I just retrieved a raketenjagdpanzer via marktplaats.nl and was immediately confronted with the typical Revell characteristics: sink holes and some weak details. Also, the plastic needs extensive cleaning before accepting any form of paint.

The second thing is that this is a so called NATO cold war period vehicle. Thus being a ' victim' of extensive maintenance and very little 'combat-like' use during manouvres. Therefore, these vehicles most of the time looked spic and span! They were just driven around from parking lot to trains or trucks to be transported to the shooting ranges. In technical shooting training, movement was not as much as one may think! ( Many crew felt therefore very frustrated, hanging around quite some time, waiting for their turn!) Field excersices offered more chanches to realistic use, but, here, the limitations of civil envirments and (environmental) laws would also not create a big change in look.
Rust would never been seen on this extend! Any unit commander would face hard times if even one of his vehcles would show up like this!
And, as stated above, even after a field exercise, which were held, for these vehicles, always in north western Europe, and seldom longer than three weeks, a crew would not turn up from the woods with a rusty look like you depicted.
Also, both Kanonenjagdpanzer or Raketenjagdpanzer never fired a shot in anger. They were kept in top state, waiting for East Block trooops, which fortunately never showed up.
Never mind, we are modellers, aren't we!
The track sag is not normal on these vehicles. Like all Leopard based vehicles, track tension was in such a way that they looked straight! Both jagdpanzertypes came from the same design office and showed same features.
But again: never mind, we are..........................

I hope you accept my comments. They were given with good intentions.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
What many Bundeswehr vehicles of the 1980s had was a rather "bleached out" look since the RAL 6014 color used back then turned grayisch-green with some exposure to light.

And I have once seen a Beob with that track tension (Reforger 1899). The Beob was standing at a 45 degree angle to the tracks after having thrown both. Let's just say the S3 was "not amused"

HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2013 - 03:10 PM UTC
Beautiful work.
solipsistnation
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you accept my comments. They were given with good intentions.

Yes, of course! I appreciate it.

Here's some of my photoreference, from a local armor museum that has a couple of Beobachtungpanzers (one nice, one hulk) and a stripped-down KaJaPa in pretty bad shape:

You can see the sides of the hull there, and the condition of the tracks. I see what you mean about track tension-- I had a hard time test-fitting the Friulmodel tracks, and I had to remove a link from each side to get them to fit. I think one more link would have made them too small...

I see what you mean about the track tension there. I'm never quite sure about the museum pieces-- they're either very well-maintained and in essentially perfect condition (they have one of the few surviving Panthers out there, and it's been extensively restored and is _perfect_, and a really great StuG III) or it was towed (or driven) into place years ago and then not touched...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Other than the track, which you can fix, I think it looks great.
I think you might look into MV lenses as well. So many very nice models lose a lot of realism for want of a few more bucks spent on them.
I didn't see the problem with yours, but here's a recent thread on decals. I am a fan of NOT cutting close to the image, as the film tends to taper out and become nand thin, as opposed to leaving a sharp edge which is hard to deal with.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/215891#1813839
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 12:53 AM UTC
Here is something on the Kanonenjagdpanzer you might like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t01UbWq7oCw

Cheers
Christopher
solipsistnation
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 05:31 AM UTC
Neat, thanks.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2013 - 07:32 AM UTC
... and this is what the inside looks like:

Cheers
Christopher
solipsistnation
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 04:56 AM UTC
That's downright roomy!
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Add four crewman at around 175cm/80kg each with their gear and it gets cramped, been there and drove in it (Beob and Belgian KaJaPa(1)). And the pictures are shot from a cut-open KaJaPa (you can see the red-rimmed cut outs) similar to the one in Koblenz.

(1) And I will NEVER do the latter again. Belgian KaJaPa crews made our german ones look sane and serene
 _GOTOTOP