_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M-113A3 Ambulance AMEV
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Well I have stared on the Academy M-113A3. I altered the suspension to make it sit tail heavy. Maybe not accurate but I like the way it looks.

I scratched the extra plates on the front and replaced all the tie downs with those from Arms Corps Models and added some Eduard PE.

Still need to add some smaller details and the antennas.

One question though. What is the rectangle on the upper front between the headlights (the tan kit part on the white styrene on the model)?

Cheers,

JW

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
Great work! Looking at yours makes me recognize a couple of parts that I left off of mine.

I'm not sure what the panel thing is on the front either. What I wonder is if it is maybe a 'Red Cross' panel that folds up when not in use kind of like the 'Red Cross' panels on humvee ambulances.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 04:49 AM UTC
I think it has something to do with the fording of the vehicle. I think it is used once the trim vane is deployed.

Great looking model. You have captured a lot of the detail of the M113 in general and the A3 specifically. I like the head cushion in the driver hatch. Nice job!
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Janwillem,

You finished your ' bakkerskar' / M577?

Try the following on the web:

operator manual TM-9-2350-277-10.

Several, if not all, pages are clearly exposed. They certainly open any detail you wish for super detailing.

Paul
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
He Paul,

Thank you for the tip. I got the entire manual now. Now that is very useful for adding extra detail.

The M-577 still needs to be painted. I added some new photos to that thread with the bucket and the trailer.

Cheers,

JW
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
You really like those bukets, eh?

Great work, it is always great seeing your clean builds before you put some paint on them... then all the extra details you added are visible.

Very nice!

Mario
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thank you for the compliment Mario.

And yes, I am a bit of a Bucket-o-holic

It has been in service for so many years and there are so many different versions and operators of the M-113 the options are endless for a modeller.

Plus I love the look of the bucket
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It has been in service for so many years and there are so many different versions and operators of the M-113 the options are endless for a modeller.

I know what you mean. I'm building one at the moment, but there are several other versions that really look interesting and are on my to-do list.

Cheers,
Mario
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:20 PM UTC
Having started the M-577 I caught the bucket bug so after AMEV I want to do a regular M-113A3 with the .50

I saved the templates for the additional armour plates on the front so that should be a breeze. Just need to get some more footman loops from Arms Corps Models as I have used up most of them and the A3 needs quite a few
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:05 AM UTC
He guys,

I totally forgot to update my thread on the M-113.

I painted the model with the Tamiya NATO colours and just a light wash to bring out the details.

Decals are from the kit and for the periscopes I used reflective stickers.

After finishing the model I added mud to it using the AK interactive mud enamels.

The Arms Corps Models footman loops are a real great detail the really enhance the level of detail to the bucket. Having built this one I want to do another M-113A3 but this time the regular infantry version with the .50 cal.

The building and painting of the model will be issued in Scale Military Modelling International and the application of the mud to the model in a separate feature.

Cheers,

JW
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Great work, you got the weathering spot on. It seems like in recent time "over-weathering" is very popular, I'm glad you didn't ruin this fine build by that.

Kind regards, Sven.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thank you Sven,

I do agree with you that heavy weathering has become a trend but in some cases it bring a model to a higher level ( like vehicles in a winter setting) but sometimes it does detract from the model.

I just usually take a reverence photo of a vehicle in the setting I have in mind and use that to base my weathering on.

Cheers,

JW

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:41 AM UTC
Great work. I really like your mud effects. As stated earlier, not overdone. Just one nitpick. Okay, I lied, no nitpick. Again, great job! Thanks for sharing!
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC
Thanks Thomas,

But if you saw something that I might have overlooked please say so so I can take that with me for future models.

Cheers,

JW
 _GOTOTOP