_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Tamiya Nashorn
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC
Tamiya is releasing a new Nashorn in 1/35 scale. I did not see a release date or price.

Mike
Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
I cant understand why Tamiya would release a Nashorn considering the oppositions contributions to the 1/35th scale world, It is like their Elafant kit, yes it is lovely, yes it is good kit but its been done and done very well, its not as if they are producing a superior kit, or that it will be cheaper its just adding to the monotone.... like they and Dragon did with their Tigers....

I have no problem with Tamiya as a company, I just feel there are vehicles out there from all ages that are in need of a "New release" from World war one to the more recent conflicts..

Saying that it will be a great kit, have rave reviews and will be all the rage in the model magazines for the 18 months following its release.

Anto
traveller1
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
No it won't be superior to what is available and I doubt it will be cheaper, but there will be a reason for Tamiya to crank out a Nashorn. Simply consider how many people prefer Tamiya because of their engineering and design of a kit and the ease with which their kits are3 assembled. This will make a big difference for a lkot of people that have foregone building either a AFV Club or a Dragon version of the Nashorns currently available.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No it won't be superior to what is available and I doubt it will be cheaper, but there will be a reason for Tamiya to crank out a Nashorn. Simply consider how many people prefer Tamiya because of their engineering and design of a kit and the ease with which their kits are3 assembled. This will make a big difference for a lkot of people that have foregone building either a AFV Club or a Dragon version of the Nashorns currently available.

I totally agree with traveller1. I haven't bought the Tamiya Elefant yet...but I'm going to. The same goes with this new Nashorn. I will buy it because of the ease of assembly with Tamiya kits. Their engineering is awesome. I'm sure if it's an all newly engineered kit it will be great. The older I get the more I appreciate Tamiya kits.
I have an Italeri armored car on the workbench right now and I put it aside last night to build a Tamiya Kuebelwagen...just to relax and build something easy.

Jeff
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
Reading the 'fors' and 'against' to date, I hope it does well for Tamiya and I can see both sides of the debate. That said, my own belief given the excellent offerings already available from Dragon and AFV Club in 1/35, is that it probably won't be a big seller. After all, you don't see many 1/35 Nashorns (by anyone) actually built as it does not have the mass appeal as an AFV subject of, say, Tigers, Panthers or Stugs etc.

Personally, I think to myself what a shame Tamiya did not use the tooling costs to tackle a Tamiya quality 1/35 British WW1 'Male' Tank; especially so given that the centenary for the start of the conflict is upon us.

Just imagine how much interest, hobby media promotion and the quantity of sales THAT would have generated !

Gary
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:40 AM UTC
This new release actually appeals to me.
It's been many years since i have built a good Tamiya kit. And i would like to build a Nashorn. I like Dragon kits (it's all i build lately), but i get tired of crappy instructions and 10 parts that could be 2-3 the most.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:58 AM UTC
I'm pretty sure that this will be a nicely-engineered kit, and, while there are super nice Nashorns available already, Tamiya might be able to corner some market based on doing good engineering and maybe a bit of simplification with it... The other kits are notably detailed and complex builds - and the Nashorn, being an open-top SPG and a big one at that, does suffer from the inherent added complexity that brings. A slightly simpler, but well-molded kit of this could have appeal.

There has been and remains a solid demand for this big vehicle - it's often a show winner when done well and stands out on most shelves, I think. Every time I see one at a show, even one which is mediocre as a build, there are always folks checking it out, so... Seems that there is some interest in this vehicle. And many of us "Nash-owners" dream of doing our stash-item (much as we also dream of doing up myriad other kits we have stuffed into our piles ), and I'll bet many of us will go get this one, too, even if it's only to take up another space in the closet!

All this not to slight the oft-stated need for some other things - such as "Tamiya-grade" kits of WWI tanks, etc.

Bob
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally, I think to myself what a shame Tamiya did not use the tooling costs to tackle a Tamiya quality 1/35 British WW1 'Male' Tank; especially so given that the centenary for the start of the conflict is upon us.

the aniversary date of the the first tank ever used in battle is in September 2016... so take your time and better clear your stash from the other old WWI subjects, I could bet we see some new releases in the next years
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
I wish they'd put out more 1/48 stuff. I understand it isn't nearly as popular but what exists is mostly pretty good, and there aren't many companies issuing kits in that scale. From what I understand though, subject selection is done by Mr T himself, and he pays more attention to his own whim than he does to what his money men tell him will sell.

I may be interested in this at some point though, I've got a dragon hummel on my bench right now and it would be interesting to see the difference in complexity.
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
I am excited about this news myself. Check out the "specifications" in this link. Sounds quite enticing!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/coming-soon/plastic-model-series-20/1-35-scale-military-miniature-12000/nashorn-heavy-tank-destroyer-35335
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish they'd put out more 1/48 stuff.

Rumor has it that this 1:35 version is just the test bed for
the future release in 1:48 scale!

Joe
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am excited about this news myself. Check out the "specifications" in this link. Sounds quite enticing

the figures are back... great!
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wish they'd put out more 1/48 stuff.

Rumor has it that this 1:35 version is just the test bed for
the future release in 1:48 scale!

Joe

I hope you're right. I heard the same rumors about the Elefant though. Two trucks and a motorcyle are nice, but some armor would be nicer.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:57 PM UTC
Motorcycle ???

Did I miss something?

Cheers,
Joe
Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
It says on that site that the Marder III is discontinued.
Anopther kit i want to do. (always heard good things about that Tamiya kit, came out like 10 years ago i think)
Removed by original poster on 01/31/14 - 16:11:44 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/31/14 - 16:13:59 (GMT).
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 05:25 AM UTC
I really like Tamiya kits, fuss free construction and you are weathering damn thing in no time. I have Dragon Nashorn in stash but I'm sure going to get this one too.
ejasonk
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM UTC
http://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt8/tamiya/index.php?Page=2

Pictures
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 675 posts
Armorama: 667 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
That link is a dud
Petro
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That link is a dud

Yes it is. try this.
http://www.primeportal.net/models/thomas_voigt8/tamiya/
This works for me.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC
I could never get around to the Dragon Nashorn so the Tamiya kit may be what I build.

Quoted Text

...1:35 version is just the test bed for
the future release in 1:48 scale

I would buy a 1/48 one in a heartbeat!
The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 09:16 AM UTC
from the images...it looks like the 4 figures are nicely job specific...And there are going to be appropriate shells.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I cant understand why Tamiya would release a Nashorn considering the oppositions contributions to the 1/35th scale world, It is like their Elafant kit, yes it is lovely, yes it is good kit but its been done and done very well, its not as if they are producing a superior kit, or that it will be cheaper its just adding to the monotone.... like they and Dragon did with their Tigers....

I thought the same when I first saw it, then had a think.

Tamiya are a very deliberate company. Dragon / Trumpeter have their release wars occaisionally where the design teams are obviously tracking each others move. I don;t think Tamiya cares what others realse however. The seem to work to their own "wish list" of releases with steady and solid progress.

So the Nashorn is on their "to do" list pure and simple. It's not reacting to modellers(western anyway)demand or other companies offerings in any way. And the real bonus, unlike Dragons new releases, you'll be able to get them in two years time ......

Brent
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
No doubt it will be a nice kit,I have build their recent Jagdtiger,JSU-152,and Isherman and really enjoyed them,but this one doesn't do anything for me.
 _GOTOTOP