Hosted by Darren Baker
Please, more Cold War armor from the 50s/60s
Bergun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
I'm glad Dragon released their M103 heavy tank kit, but I would like to see more lesser known Cold War armored vehicles like the U.S. Army's M114 APC with either the 20mm gun or the .50 machine gun. A correct West German M48A5G and a copy of their early Henschel APC with a 20/30mm gun would be super nice.

Also, a British FV432 APC kit would be nice in 1/35th scale too!!
CmdrCody
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
Also, the M-59 APC and M-84 Mortar Carrier would be welcome additions.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama. Since this is your first post I don't know what you're into, but there is an M114 available in resin. Just a few weeks ago someone posted photos of a 1/72 scale M59, and apparently he will do it in 1/35. I had been trying to get both in styrene, but when I asked last year, hardly anyone expressed any interest, so the idea was dropped.
I am happy about the new Gamma Goat, and I have it along with the Legend upgrade for it. I can't wait to start on it-that POS really brings back memories....
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm glad Dragon released their M103 heavy tank kit, but I would like to see more lesser known Cold War armored vehicles like the U.S. Army's M114 APC with either the 20mm gun or the .50 machine gun. A correct West German M48A5G and a copy of their early Henschel APC with a 20/30mm gun would be super nice.

Also, a British FV432 APC kit would be nice in 1/35th scale too!!

Ted,

The M114 already exists in 1:35 in resin from Accurate Armour; the HS 30 also exists in resin from a German firm - Fine Cast Models. I believe Revell are bringing out a German modified M48 (in injected plastic)later this year, and a FV 432 also exists in resin again from Accurate Armour and also from Cromwell Models.

A 1:35 M75 is available from Retrokit (resin)

Of course, the resin ones will be expensive but you never quite know what the main plastic manufacturers will come up with these days, the 3rd Reich having been done to death. I believe for example, that a Soviet T10 is on the way from Trumpeter.

Remember too that Heller produce several vehicles based on the AMX 13 including the VTT APC. Don't overlook the Revell Jagdpanzer Kanone, and even the venerable Tamiya Schutzenpanzer Marder represents a fairly ancient MICV from the late 60s.

Regards,

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to Armorama. Since this is your first post I don't know what you're into, but there is an M114 available in resin. Just a few weeks ago someone posted photos of a 1/72 scale M59, and apparently he will do it in 1/35. I had been trying to get both in styrene, but when I asked last year, hardly anyone expressed any interest, so the idea was dropped.
I am happy about the new Gamma Goat, and I have it along with the Legend upgrade for it. I can't wait to start on it-that POS really brings back memories....

Robert,

I would kill for an M59 - whether in resin or plastic; a shame I missed the original post - it would certainly have had my support.

Brian
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/190685&page=1
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/190685&page=1

I thought it rang a bell (and it did indeed have my support); I just wonder though - the M103 came as a great surprise - one never quite knows what might be around the corner!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 06:03 AM UTC
That is true, and whether it irks any other members or not, I don't care - there ARE several things coming down the pike within the next few months I can't mention, on of which will satisfy the Cold War niche. It's not a nanny nanny boo boo thing - it's a matter of being asked not to be TOO specific. However, I try to drop hints when I can, that maybe you might want to wait before purchasing this kit or that kit, or save the time scratchbuilding a particular subject, if you pay attention to those hints you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This is the thread in which I allude to the Meng release, and it co-incidentally is the one where I tried to drum up support for the M114 and M59:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/210639&page=1
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is true, and whether it irks any other members or not, I don't care - there ARE several things coming down the pike within the next few months I can't mention, on of which will satisfy the Cold War niche. It's not a nanny nanny boo boo thing - it's a matter of being asked not to be TOO specific. However, I try to drop hints when I can, that maybe you might want to wait before purchasing this kit or that kit, or save the time scratchbuilding a particular subject, if you pay attention to those hints you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This is the thread in which I allude to the Meng release, and it co-incidentally is the one where I tried to drum up support for the M114 and M59:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/210639&page=1

I wish if I asked if should go ahead and spend a fortune on a resin GOER or wait to do one in plastic?

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more ....... Pleeeaaasse tell me this oversized thing with the gigantic wheels may be seen in the future.
Railspltr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Quite a few Cold War era items have been showing up and that is a good thing. How about a P.E. or plastic gunner's position for the M901 ITV? Is there anything like that out there?
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC
A decent Chieftain Mk.5 - 11 would be nice. Perhaps a good (accurate) Mk.5 with the optional upgrades to 10 or 11 within the box!

Keith.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish if I asked if should go ahead and spend a fortune on a resin GOER or wait to do one in plastic?

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more ....... Pleeeaaasse tell me this oversized thing with the gigantic wheels may be seen in the future.

Well, in fact I photographed and measured the GOER to death a few years ago. Ultimately the company interested in it decided against it as well.

DazzaD
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
I am loving all the recent releases of the cold war heavies. They were some of my favourite armour but I never had the pockets to spend on the rare resin kits that are out there.

M103, T28, Tortoise, soon to be IS4. It was the true end of my favourite era and now there are finally some kits to build!

I really want to see some of those experiments from this era. The stuff that was almost sci-fi! The auto loaders (both French and US), The British FV lines, the Conqueror, maybe even the tank destroyers.
 _GOTOTOP