_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Grozny Assault - PT-76 in 1/35 scale
AdamObrebski
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hello guys!
This is my first topic here so i want to say hello.
By the way I want to show you my latest built - Partially burned out PT-76 with figures that i sculpt myself. I want to know you opinion about this work.
Regards,
Adam

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:53 AM UTC
Great work on the setting and the rubble. I like the figures you sculpted, well done! Not sure about the burned corpse in the hatch though.

Mario
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Really nice....a bit crispy for me too.

Greg
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
Adam,

Nice setting wellpainted. I have to agree with Mario on the dead crew member though.

Paul
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
Death is a by product of war, tho might be better to have moved him to inside of turret so you only see him if you go looking!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
I am not averse to seeing death depicted in 1:35 modelling; if we, as modellers choose to make and display fighting vehicles then let's just reflect on what "fighting" can result in. This may result in a philosophical debate but I do not have a problem with what has been depicted here. The only comment I would have is that according to most reports when human beings burn, the body contracts and a "Boxer" pose is assumed by the corpse.

Of course, I wouldn't want to see this depicted on the display tables for the sake of it, but it might be a timely reminder that the situations we attempt to represent require reality and if this results in 1:35 corpses then so be it; after all, there are enough medics tending to the wounded modelled, so a corpse is the logical result is it not?

I thought this was a pretty good effort to portray the horrors of war.

I am sure that discussion will ensue (!)
AdamObrebski
Visit this Community
Poland
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was afraid of that... but well... war is not only adopting a puppies, and raising the flags on top's of the hill's.
About pose of this corpse - not always burned body take boxer pose... i will save you watching the pictures that I've discovered in google, just if You want type a proper word in google
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
I like it. The figure sculpting is first rate. I think it's a powerful diorama. War IS hell. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was afraid of that... but well... war is not only adopting a puppies, and raising the flags on top's of the hill's.
About pose of this corpse - not always burned body take boxer pose... i will save you watching the pictures that I've discovered in google, just if You want type a proper word in google

Adam,

I quite take your point - of course not all burned bodies assume the "Boxer-like stance - but congratulations on your modelling and depicting what can be an unpalatable subject.

Regards,

Brian
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 02:24 AM UTC
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"

I'm fine, with the charred corpse. It looks natural. The rest of the build is splendid! I'm not sure about the expression on the kneeling figure's face. However, brilliant sculpting. The rubble and ensuing dust look spot on. Why does the PT-76 show no signs of being burned? I ask this as the crew is scorched.
Modelfreak04
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
I like both the treatment of the vehicle and the figures. I They are very natural.

I liked the realistic approach to the subject and I liked the presence of the charred corpse (you are showing war and war is a ugly business and not something to romanticize about).
I think it also adds a bit of drama and human interest: the dead person reminds us of the ugly reality of war, where human beings, persons with a story, kill and get killed.

Just one thing about representing burned corpses since you seem to go for a realist approach: usually under the action of heat the albumine in the muscles coagulates and makes them to contract leaving the dead body arms and legs in the typical "boxer" position.
... Results of my experience visiting the coroner's office when I was a crime lawyer!

All the best,
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
I think this is a good diorama- the earthy and muted tones of the debris really capture the drabness of Grozny during the wars there. There is a nice variety to the debris aswell wood, metal, concrete etc. The figures are also well done- the body in the tank is an interesting addition and, I think, is well suited to the scene.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
This is a fantastic piece of modelling. Aside from the very well executed sculpting and modelling, the overall finish is just superb-the grey and drained out color of the overall setting helps tell a truly depressing tale.

I think the charred corpse is an appropriate addition (although I'm not entirely sure on the positioning). At first it doesnt jump out at you, but when one suddenly spots the blackened opbject and realises what it is the effect is quite powerful.
Talavera
Visit this Community
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:55 AM UTC
Outstanding work my friend, although I have to agree with many of the other comments here. I am not sure about the dead body. For sure this often happens in war but there is something about this corpse that just does not look quite right.

I mean this in terms of convincing appearance not inappropriateness. Modelling authentic looking dead bodies in dioramas is very difficult to do.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:10 AM UTC
kewl! I like the charcoal guy!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
Adam-- well done. The crispy critter adds to the overall effect of your work.
DJ
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
excellent work all around!!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 10:24 AM UTC
It's fantastic Adam! Don't change a thing!

The ruble is so real, how you did that is unbelievable. Not only do I love the PT-76 but the whole diorama is so real looking and that is a great job on the figures too that you sculpted. The extra crispy one might be a subject of controversy to some but there are always going to be something we all cannot agree on liking.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this!

Jeff
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
Adam ,, superb,utterly superb work ..couldnt agree more with Jeff ..the ruble in your ground work is amazing ,,love it ..again i agree with Jeff ... dont change a single thing ,,the body an stay right where it is ...war aint pretty and it surprises me still that some fokes still get a little upset when a dead body is seen in a dio .
But enough about that .. totally love this mate and i for one can not wait to see more of your work .

Phill
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 03:15 PM UTC
Great kit and great diorama. Personally I would have left off the fried Russian crew member. It draws away from the overall effect.When that happens it weakens your diorama. We all know tank warfare is a horrible thing. We see it when we all see photos of Russian tanks blown to hell in 1941 Ukraine or knocked out Sherman tanks in the Battle of the Bulge. The crew members have become a greasy spot on the bottom of the tank or a melting pile of goo in the hatch. We all know it happens, we just don't have to model it.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 08:56 PM UTC
I like the scene as it is; about the only thing not clear to me is what caused the vehicle to burn like it has, there is no entry point that I can see where the vehicle was shot.

As for the burned victim, having dealt with too many, I can say that almost without exception they died (from smoke inhalation) with their arms shielding their face, and they all lost form or shape, their limbs being thin from burning. But otherwise this is good; well done. So to speak.

Kylie
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 12:22 AM UTC
Why such love for Russian people burned? You did not plan to see a psychologist?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
Great diorama. the figures are well posed and look great with the scene.
The work on the burned out PT-76 is outstanding. Very nice finish and the charned paint looks very realistic.
 _GOTOTOP