Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tasca M4A1 Grizzly Guardian
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:28:14 (GMT).
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2018 - 08:39 AM UTC
Love the pics, Not only good reference for the Grizzly but look at all the dirt and weathering on that tank. I will add this site for your reference stash. Not to mention if you have a quater million US just sitting around you can have the ultimate reference piece. Give it a look...

http://www.armyjeeps.net/Grizzly0830/1943%20Sherman%20Grizzly.htm

Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:28:27 (GMT).
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 04:34 AM UTC
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 05:14 AM UTC
Have you read this?
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1mlw/grizzly.html
Dan
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2018 - 08:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Russ,

Quoted Text

Man, talk about a blast from the past... I started over, back with page 1, just to get in the mood again.
This thread is so old, SK has gone to the great food bowl in the sky, we've moved, and I haven't built (or even started) a Sherman in well over a year.

That begs the question, did it get you in the mood again? (lol) and yes this thread is so old that there's actually some new info on the web regarding the Grizzly, so I'm still tidying up and sorting out loose ends, that kinda thing, constant edits in the build log.

And there's nothing like a good old house move to cause chaos for a model maker that's for sure, you should do a build log here on old Armadrama, could do a Sherman, (I found some nice high quality pictures of a Sherman Grizzly that will get you in the mood for a Sherman, I'll post them in the build log at some point) or a Merk maybe, lots of new Merk kits at the mo you lucky sod

Matt

Gotta stay off the internet if I'm not in a good mood.... and yes, lots of Merks on the market now, great time to be an IDF junkie like me. I'm currently trying to use up as many spare M60 kits as I can, having accumulated lots of kits and bits over the years. I have done a HobbyBoss Merk3 and an Academy Merk4 over the last year or so, and trying to decide on what to do with the various Tamiya and Academy Merk kits in the stash now, maybe something SciFi.... time will tell. Keep on with the Grizzly, always great to follow your progress.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:28:41 (GMT).
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2018 - 07:36 AM UTC
good deal.
there is a grizzly at the Fagen air museum in Minnesota.
http://www.fagenfighterswwiimuseum.org/vehicles/sherman/m4sherman.html
Dan
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are talking about that round hole in the rear of the tank highlighted in the square??? That is where you insert the engine crank. Applies only to radial engined Shermans. If it has been a bit since the engine has been run you (and two or three of your best friends) will need to turn the engine over a number of times using the crank.

Engine oil will have accumulated in the lower cylinders of the radial and if you simply try to start the engine as-is you stand a fair chance of blowing the cylinder head off one or more of the lower pistons.

That is why you often see, in old movies, the flight crew of a B 17 or 24 doing the "propeller walk", using the propellers to turn the radial engines over to redistribute the engine oil before starting.

Just a follow-up to the discussion subject of needing to "exercise" a Sherman radial engine if it has been sitting unstarted for any length of time. If the engine locks up while you are manually cranking you will have to pull the lower spark plugs to drain accuminulated engine oil. (See photo caption below.)

Photo used here for discussion and research purposes only.
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 - 03:24 AM UTC
This is just amazing, Matt...love scratchbuilding, especially well presented SBS like this!!

Where in the East Mids are you?
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:29:06 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:29:32 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:29:51 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:30:08 (GMT).
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:36 AM UTC
good attention to detail.
Dan
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:30:26 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:30:49 (GMT).
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 11:17 PM UTC
Looks good. One has to be impressed with some one that makes a part for the sole reason to see if they can. Nice use of that jig, I wish I could claim to be that smart. I just fight with the bending moving plastic.. think your way is better.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 12:38 AM UTC
Matt, I love the work you have put into this so far, your scratchbuilding skills are amazing, you have an unerring precision with what you do, and you are training Snuggles well to be an able assistant!
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:31:40 (GMT).
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Easy8

Hello Easy, how's you these days? I was in my favourite model shop the other day, browsing the kits, and on the shelf was a Dragon M4A3E8 Thunderbolt kit, I looked at it with a wry smile and thought of you, I seem to remember you mentioning that you built one, years ago, logs on the side, then I remembered a Youtube vid of a guy building that kit, he nearly rage quit model making for good, so I left it on the shelf.

Quoted Text

I just fight with the bending moving plastic.

First time I made a deck years ago with a little splash guard strip, I just fought with the bending moving plastic as well, after that I swore never again...

Matt

I am doing well..ish. Last year I took a dream job in Taiwan. We moved from Florida there, Had to fit all my stuff in two suit cases, with no hazmat. Got things all set up in Taiwan to be able to model again (purchased and learned to use Tamiya enamels) and even finised two out of the box tanks. Then life reminded me that the best laid plans are not to be. The contract I was on did not get renewed, so no more job... I am now typing this from Washington state. All my stuff is literally on a slow boat from China.. So life is mid change and no modeling in the near future.

I did build the Thunderbolt kit a few years back. The only issues I had was the tracks and that was lack of skill on my part. It is tucked away in a box in storage in Flordia. I must admit to an addiction to the E8. I picked up another copy of that kit at a local show along with the Tamiay rebox of the tasca kit (with the figs) and right before I left Taiwan I got the new Tamiya E8 (they claim new molds) This one is next on the build list, maybe I will try a build log, have never done one.

It is good to see the white plastic moving again on this one, I look foward to the day it gets to be olive drab, untill then keep an eye on snuggles and keep up the good work.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:32:00 (GMT).
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I must admit to an addiction to the E8

It's a good looking tank, mean and moody, and while on the subject of Tamiya's Easy Eight kits and build logs, I did some messing around work on a Tamiya M4A3E8 turret, it was going to be a build log, but I never got round to it, and decided it was probably better to concentrate on the Grizzly for a bit.

It's just a variation on the old M4A3E8 Thunderbolt additional armour theme, I wanted something that looked rough n ready, and bolted on, but I'm still undecided as to what to do with the hull.

Matt

I have read about units cutting the front plate off a panther tank and putting them on the front of a sherman. I have never seen a pic of this, a challenge for Frency, but I have had more than a passing though about building a tank up armored like that. I am sure that snuggles can scratch up a nice torch cut panter front plate for you. There would be a whole lot of nose down attitude to add as well.

Just a thought, it would look good with that turret.. a pen on the panther plate and maybe a bounce or two on it..
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:32:20 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:32:39 (GMT).