_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-6 Heavy Tank Who Is Buying It?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Anyone going to AMPS this weekend?
DJ

Oh yea, heading up to VA tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be at the venue until Sunday am.

I understand that they have over 335 models already pre-registered, so the show promises to a great one.

Happy modeling!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

Oh yea, heading up to VA tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be at the venue until Sunday am.

I understand that they have over 335 models already pre-registered, so the show promises to a great one.

Happy modeling!

Mike-- Great news, we need more guys to attend. I am meeting John Charvat on Friday morning for a get together. If you have not met this fine Soldier, he will be judging model and he ain't hard to spot.
See you there
DJ
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

Happy modeling!

Mike-- Great news, we need more guys to attend. I am meeting John Charvat on Friday morning for a get together. If you have not met this fine Soldier, he will be judging model and he ain't hard to spot.
See you there
DJ

Oh, I know John. I think I'm on his dance card, too, for a meeting about a 2016 convention proposal.

You can catch me around the show, though - Thursday evening in the FJ Cert Training, Friday morning at the Dio / Vignette Judges' training (same for Saturday morning), and Friday and Saturday pretty much all day ACJ'ing the dio / vignette judging.

There's probably some other stuff that guys have talked me into doing that I've forgot about, too!

Safe travels!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Mike-- I will make a point of meeting you
Safe trip
DJ
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
Put me in the camp of waiting for the reviews on it, I got the M103 and I like the M6 and the MBT70...but I'm waiting for reviews first.

The MBT70 looks ok at first blush, some complaints about the details on it, but if its the right size, detials can be added later...

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Put me in the camp of waiting for the reviews on it, I got the M103 and I like the M6 and the MBT70...but I'm waiting for reviews first.

The MBT70 looks ok at first blush, some complaints about the details on it, but if its the right size, detials can be added later...

I've read that the new BLACK LABEL MBT 70 (KPz 70) can't be built a a US MBT 70. If that's so, WHY IN HELL would DRAGON announce it the way they did? Or is it just more of DRAGON's B.S...? If it turns out that only the KPz 70 can be built from this kit, I won't bother buying one...

As to the M6A1, I'm going to wait for the kit reviews to be published. $70.00 is a lot of jing to plunk down for a kit, no matter how GOOD it is. Once again, it's CAVEAT EMPTOR...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read that the new BLACK LABEL MBT 70 (KPz 70) can't be built a a US MBT 70.

Sez who, and based upon what? A test shot build-up? A CAD model poster? It might be worthwhile waiting until it was released until writing, reading, or repeating kit opinions.

After all, at this same point in the M103 release process no one was complaining about it. The only worry was that the loader's hatch might be molded closed. If people are so good at making judgments from preliminary images, how come they couldn't spot the M103's problems?

KL
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC
I am betting that Zaloga does the first build on Missing Lynx. He is a master, but he does provide insights on construction procedures. I used his article when completing the T-28.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sez who, and based upon what? A test shot build-up? A CAD model poster? It might be worthwhile waiting until it was released until writing, reading, or repeating kit opinions.

Based on this photo:

This rear deck is specific to a Kpz 70. An MBT-70 rear deck looks like this:

This kit is a Kpz 70.

Jon
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Based on this photo:

This rear deck is specific to a Kpz 70. An MBT-70 rear deck looks like this:

This kit is a Kpz 70.

Jon

So . . . it's been confirmed that the test shot built up in the photo is exactly what is going to come in the kit; that the kit will have no options; and that the kit design prevents the issue of further kits of different variants? Absent that confirmation, a more circumspect (and correct) statement might be "The build-up in the photo has a KPz 70 engine deck" (a fact) rather than "The new MBT-70 kit can't be built as an MBT-70" (a guess, or worse).

KL
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So . . . it's been confirmed that the test shot built up in the photo is exactly what is going to come in the kit; that the kit will have no options; and that the kit design prevents the issue of further kits of different variants? Absent that confirmation, a more circumspect (and correct) statement might be "The build-up in the photo has a KPz 70 engine deck" (a fact) rather than "The new MBT-70 kit can't be built as an MBT-70" (a guess, or worse).

KL

Well...

The ONLY pictures made available by the manufacturer of the test shot shows the Kpz 70 engine deck, and the CAD that has been displayed by the manufacturer ONLY shows the Kpz 70 deck, and the box art depicts ONLY a Kpz 70 in GERMAN markings, so the ONLY fact we have to go on is that this kit is the Kpz 70. Since you insinuate that you have information that there are other components in this kit that have not been displayed by the manufacturer, it is now your responsibility as the detractor of the "Kpz 70 only" belief (propagated by the manufacturer) to show evidence to support your contention. Otherwise, the correct (not your wary and afraid to take risks) statement is that this kit is a Kpz 70, based on the evidence provided by the manufacturer.

Jon
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've read that the new BLACK LABEL MBT 70 (KPz 70) can't be built a a US MBT 70.

After all, at this same point in the M103 release process no one was complaining about it. The only worry was that the loader's hatch might be molded closed. If people are so good at making judgments from preliminary images, how come they couldn't spot the M103's problems?

KL

When I wrote: "I've read that the new BLACK LABEL MBT 70 (KPz 70) can't be built as a US MBT 70" is only repeating what I've read right here in this and other ARMORAMA forums- What I wrote in regards to the MBT 70/KPz 70 kit in not being able to be built as an MBT 70 IS NOT MY assumption, nor is it MY opinion. I also wrote: "If that's the case..." which was posed as a QUESTION, not as an assumption or an opinion.

I DID pose a sarcastic question regarding DRAGON's ambiguity in announcing new products, which I feel should be taken with a grain of salt until we actually have said products in our grubby little hands...

I AGREE with your questions: Sez who, and based upon what?" Why do you suppose that I'm holding off buying DRAGON's MBT 70 AND their M6A1..?

Also, I think the mad rush to go out and buy the BLACK PLAGUE M103A1 was a premature reaction by AFV fans to a wholly different and surprising product hitting the market. There have been a few times when I've been lured and burned in going out and buying a new product without first reading the "build-reviews... Lesson learned...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Dennis--- great run down
Thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP