_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Triple Tank Diorama Madness - Eastern Front
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
After a twenty year break from modelling I decided to build the kit I always wanted to - the Tamiya Tiger 1. I learnt a lot during this, mainly that things in the modelling community have moved on at a pace since I was last getting parts stuck my finger tips and cursing.

This initial build was un-modded - I only discovered the photo-etched gubbins when I was nearly finished. I will probably go back to this and fiddle about with it at some point.

After completing the Tiger I discovered a fantastic book - Panzerkampfwagen T 34 - 747 (r), The Soviet T-34 Tank as Beutepanzer & Panzerattrappe in German Wermacht Service 1941-45. Author Jochen Vollert.

I then decided to do a multi tank winter diorama based around the Tiger 1 & two beutepanzer's. The idea is to have column of troop & vehciles moving off towards a (distant) battle.

I have several set's of winter troops of the 42-3 era so will be researching (a) a probable battle and (b) the units + configuration that took part.

The this will be a representative piece rather than a 100% historical accurate. One reason is the "centre piece" will the "wunderwaffe" factory modified T 34 which is an idealised version. The little back story I self invented to fit this in is that it was rushed off to the front when things started to get "desperate" on the front.

I will upload some photographs once I have worked out how to do it on this site.
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC

The "shot" is of the Tiger 1 model composited onto a stock photo from commons on Flickr. Given a good going over on Photoshop to add some movement to the wheels etc. Other added elements were the flames and rain.

Second Photoshop composite of the finished Tiger 1 (Mid Production).
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
Some shots of the initial build of the Tiger. I didn't really know what I doing so have messed up on the zimmerit patterning a bit. The Zimmerit was an application of putty (Milliput) which was than patterned with a small flat edge.

Yet another Tiger 1 - mid production (Tamiya)

Little & Large:

PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 02:10 AM UTC
Second tank (almost) finished, this also has a separate build log so apologies for any overlap / duplication:

Pre mud attack + proposed crew & figures - they still need a bit of work. Figure painting is not a strong point for so not looking forward to this:

Post mud:

PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 09:02 AM UTC
"In action"

Mock done in Photoshop. Background courtesy of the Flickr Commons project. Motion blur added to background trees, the wheels & tracks.

firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
I like these types of photo effects, and your are well done; I also like your quite over the top effects on the models as well... It's like you really went for it and know how to have fun with your model making. Love that one with the flames!
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:33 PM UTC
It was a bit like a kid in a sweetshop with the new techniques - I can only attempt to explain this as the after effects of the vehicles being subjected to the winter onslaught that only Russia can offer followed by a (very) slushy spring thaw.

Inspired a bit those bits of footage where vehicles are valiantly battling through the mud and kack, buried up to there axles. Mind with the amount of mud & rust the winter camouflage is as about as much use as a chocolate teapot of this one javascript:PasteSmiley(':)')

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 02:39 AM UTC
The action shot of the Beutepanzer T-34 is superb.
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC
Thanks - I quite enjoyed doing this.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC
Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Jeff
PanzerHanzler
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 11:53 AM UTC
Change of tack on this third tank is being swapped out for 88mm Flak 36 + 6 man crew. Plan is to set the diorama so that the two tanks are pulling off one to either side. Will placing a few other odd figures as they march of into battle...

Been putting this off as painting the figures is a step into the unknown. The Flak cannon is only partially finished - was going to finish it tonight but my glue hath expired.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 03:06 PM UTC
One thing to consider when adding an artillery piece. There is a large no-man's land around the area of the muzzle. Anyone in that area is likely to be seriously injured by the concussion of the FlaK gun firing. No tank would want to pull up near it -- and certainly not any infantry men. Maybe have the Flak as a separate diorama? I can't see any reason why heavy tanks would be anywhere in the vicinity of an emplaced heavy Flak gun during the act of firing on enemy a/c.

FYI
 _GOTOTOP