Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
British Paras dio
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
I was tempted to have a go at converting the bronco airborne trailer into an improvised raft as the poles did in their desperate attempt to reinforce the rest of first airborne but decided to keep it for another dio.
There so many iconic buildings ( the hartenstein, the museum, the white house, the mds crossroads, the bridges themselves etc.)that could make great dios but recreating actual locations rather than generic buildings is beyond my modelling ability. There was a thread with someone doing the front of the hartenstein that looked great but never came to fruition.
There's also somewhere on the net the start of a scratch built accurate representation of the terrace street where Urqhart had to hide in the attic.
Keep us informed of your plans. When you decide what you want to do I may be able to help with reference material etc.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was tempted to have a go at converting the bronco airborne trailer into an improvised raft as the poles did in their desperate attempt to reinforce the rest of first airborne but decided to keep it for another dio.
There so many iconic buildings ( the hartenstein, the museum, the white house, the mds crossroads, the bridges themselves etc.)that could make great dios but recreating actual locations rather than generic buildings is beyond my modelling ability. There was a thread with someone doing the front of the hartenstein that looked great but never came to fruition.
There's also somewhere on the net the start of a scratch built accurate representation of the terrace street where Urqhart had to hide in the attic.
Keep us informed of your plans. When you decide what you want to do I may be able to help with reference material etc.

I really like this topic,being a retired para myself and I want to do it justice. I don't want to get involved in a big dio right now though as I have several others in the fire right now. I was having a view towards a vignette. Something along those lines.
I will surely give a shout when I solidify the concept,thanks.
I wonder if there would be a market for some resin building facades from Arnhem? It would fit with the wonderful new tram car from MB?
One fact that makes it easier for the modeler is that a lot of the fierce fighting in Oosterbeek took place in wooded areas,negating specific building models.
J
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 03:31 AM UTC
Depending on what you are thinking of there are also the four very nice resin figures that Black Dog have released.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Depending on what you are thinking of there are also the four very nice resin figures that Black Dog have released.

Thanks for the heads up Darren.
So far I am sticking to the plastic. I like being the odd one.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
Wondered if any one could tell me if any Paras carried the larger rucksack during Market Garden?
Maybe re-supply mission to the perimeter at Ooosterbeek? Something along those lines? Frosts' Bn on their way to the road bridge?
J
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh, and a boxed dio of wounded paras in a cellar with the silhouette of a German opening the door at the top of the stairs. This is one I attempted but couldn't get to work (the scene looked okay but the lighting/silhouette failed to give desired results.) The figures have been used elsewhere. I will be coming back to this one at some point.

Nice idea and I think you can pull it off with a shadow box style dio. Very dim lighting in the cellar with the open door in the background lit by a stronger light from behind the German?
BTW,there was also a lot of drama on the road between Nijmegen and Arnhem.
J

Hi Jerry,

Hope you allow!

Not to be a smart a.., but the battle of Arnhem took place between Oosterbeek ( the landing area ) and the centre of Arnhem, all at the north side of the Rhine River.
The area between Nijmegen ( where the bridge of the Waal was/is) and the southern bank of the Rhine was in the hands of the Allies, though due to the high banks of the Rhine at the north side very well visible for German spotters and artillery observers.

Anyway, knowing your building qualities I am realy looking forward to see another interesting dio.
At the moment I am working at Bronco's jeeps with airborne troops. Fun to paint these well sculpured guys.
Furthermore, I hope to be able to bring in the Horsa direct from China, if it is already available there ( saves you heaps of money!!!!)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

The Glider Born Infantry units would be the most likely to sport the Bergen. They tended to carry a greater load than the parachutists.

Cheers

Al
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi,
Paul: I think Jerry was referring to the Polish paras who fought on "the island" south of Arnhem.
Jerry: Al is right in saying gliderborne troops carried bergans and paras carried the smaller backpacks.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh, and a boxed dio of wounded paras in a cellar with the silhouette of a German opening the door at the top of the stairs. This is one I attempted but couldn't get to work (the scene looked okay but the lighting/silhouette failed to give desired results.) The figures have been used elsewhere. I will be coming back to this one at some point.

Nice idea and I think you can pull it off with a shadow box style dio. Very dim lighting in the cellar with the open door in the background lit by a stronger light from behind the German?
BTW,there was also a lot of drama on the road between Nijmegen and Arnhem.
J

Hi Jerry,

Hope you allow!

Not to be a smart a.., but the battle of Arnhem took place between Oosterbeek ( the landing area ) and the centre of Arnhem, all at the north side of the Rhine River.
The area between Nijmegen ( where the bridge of the Waal was/is) and the southern bank of the Rhine was in the hands of the Allies, though due to the high banks of the Rhine at the north side very well visible for German spotters and artillery observers.

Anyway, knowing your building qualities I am realy looking forward to see another interesting dio.
At the moment I am working at Bronco's jeeps with airborne troops. Fun to paint these well sculpured guys.
Furthermore, I hope to be able to bring in the Horsa direct from China, if it is already available there ( saves you heaps of money!!!!)

Yes,I know what you mean about the battle of Arnhem but what is your point?
I was just pointing out that there was also a lot of drama going on with the fighting on the "Island". Early in the battle,the allies by no means controlled all the space there and there were some epic attacks by one Panzer Brigade and then Von Lucks' paras,etc. After my Regt did the rubber boat thing and got to the north end of the Nijmegan bridge things took a turn for the better but we still didn't own the whole island for a while. I believe my Regt(504PIR) defended there for over two months! That was the drama I was referring to.
Is that what you meant? I am kind of confused.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
Al and Paul,
Sorry to learn that as I wanted to show a well laden Para and that is harder with the smaller,regular backpack. A carrying case for Piat rounds would be nice,if..I had some!.
J
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,
here, in The Netherlands, we more or less divide the battles in de Betuwe and the battle for Arnhem into two sperate parts. Yes! As a military guy with a large historical interest I am very well known with the facts around them, but the main public here do know the battle in the Betuwe as part of "Market Garden" and the landings around Oosterbeek and the following battle as "de slag om Arnhem" ( the battle for Arnhem). In general it is seen as two different parts of the war.
The role of the US troops and the Polish Airborne troops at the southern banks of the Rhine are far less known. There is hardly any general knowledge about the battles in the Betuwe. I guess most people asume that the relative distance between Nijmegen and Arnhem was just done as an easy move.
Only a few years ago the Dutch Queen handed a cermonial memory over to the Polish Army as a recognition for their selfless support in the liberation of my country.
It was certainly not intended to offend you!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
No offense taken buddy. I was just unsure about what you wee referring to.
I just read some very good books on Market Garden and to me anyway,the Arnhem battle was only a part of the bigger battle,for instance,when the different German Kampfgruppen cut the "Hells' Highway" for over 24 hours!
Or the Airborne vs tank battle around Son,stuff like that. There was even a Abt of Panther tanks that drove through recently re-captured Arnhem and took up positions on the north bank of the river south of Oosterbeek and then used their tanks as artillery to shell the British with HE indirect fire,something I thought they only did in Kurland.
If anyone wants to know about this battle and only wants to buy one book I would recommend"Kampfraum Arnheim". It really brings it to life.
So...thanks for looking in and really there was no offense taken bubba!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 12:43 PM UTC
Started to gather materials. Need some advice/intel from the Commonwealth fellas.
Which helmet looks the part more? The clean helmet is Tamiya and I would have to add netting and scrim. The head is from Mr Saunders. The body and legs from the outstanding new set from Miniart. The torso an the ground is Tamiya and is a lot softer in detail but has the pose I want. But the Miniart body has a lot more definition so I think I will just alter it?

Here is the Tamiya helmet

His weapons and acoutrements. The sten and pack are Tamiya and the rest is Miniart.

Miniart seems to be the rising star in figs right now. Then and MB.
Anyhoo,those are my picks so far. What say ye? I would love to add Piat ammo tubes but the only ones I have are Airfix 1/32 scale and huge!
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi Jerry

there were 2 different helmets in use:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-re-enactment-british-ww2-british-airborne-category,979

but in our scale that hardly makes a difference (especially with net and scrim).

Personally I prefer my helmets to be large rather than small and tight "around he skull", but that's only my preference!

for the PIAT tubes look here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/17001

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Romain

simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 11:57 PM UTC
Those pouches could do with some reshaping - not deep enough methinks - either that or too wide - they seem out of proportion compared with originals

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30016259

sk
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those pouches could do with some reshaping - not deep enough methinks - either that or too wide - they seem out of proportion compared with originals

sk

Rather too wide I would say!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Jerry,

I just noticed I posted the wrong link. The link should go to the P type helmet as the earlier model. The Tamiya helmet is closer to the P type IMHO!

https://www.google.at/search?q=p-type+para+helmet&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kINXVPjGJsavaYfigKAD&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1344&bih=722#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=phWn57wyeW3FrM%253A%3BAoTL-YuA5qWlWM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.warrelics.eu%252Fforum%252Fattachments%252Fhelmets%252F114153d1276540365-mk2-british-para-helmet-helmet-bank-314_800x600.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.warrelics.eu%252Fforum%252Fhelmets%252Fmk2-british-para-helmet-20916%252F%3B800%3B600

and that leads to some good photos here

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/helmets/mk2-british-para-helmet-20916/

And a video clip here

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/05/05/Chelsie_Shellhas_vio_un_chicho_alto_en_el_area_de_almacenes_/

(just scroll down a bit)

Sorry about that!

Cheers

Romain

white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
Jerry, the Bronco Airborne Equipment set is definitely worthwhile, you get a sweet PIAT and three triple carrying tubes plus a ton of other gear, drop containers and wicker panniers.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry

there were 2 different helmets in use:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-re-enactment-british-ww2-british-airborne-category,979

but in our scale that hardly makes a difference (especially with net and scrim).

Personally I prefer my helmets to be large rather than small and tight "around he skull", but that's only my preference!

for the PIAT tubes look here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/17001

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Romain

Thanks for the linkies bubba! I need one of those Bronco sets obviously!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sk

I was thinking about going with the special sten gun ammo pouch that had the strap and hung in front?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry, the Bronco Airborne Equipment set is definitely worthwhile, you get a sweet PIAT and three triple carrying tubes plus a ton of other gear, drop containers and wicker panniers.

Thanks John,you have confirmed my decision. I will look up Der Sprue Brudern today Aber Zack zack!!
Ok,just back from looking up the kit and the Spruebros don't list them. Is this a brand new kit and if so,is it available and where?
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:15 AM UTC
Interesting to watch this thread, a lot of useful information flowing through it. Wish I knew more about the British Paras as I don't think I've got any useful information for you! There's a book by Michael Reynolds called "Sons of the Reich" that follows the battles by the II SS Panzerkorps, it's nice in that it describes the battles from both perspectives, and there's a heavy amount of it around Arnhem. Good information there.

-Conor
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks John,you have confirmed my decision. I will look up Der Sprue Brudern today Aber Zack zack!!
Ok,just back from looking up the kit and the Spruebros don't list them. Is this a brand new kit and if so,is it available and where?
J

Check your inbox bro! Just sent you a message!

Cheers

R.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 05:34 AM UTC
It's a bit pricey but "For King and Country" by Glen Harlan is an exceptionally good reference book.
The first helmet looks a better fit to my eye.
white4doc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 06:03 AM UTC
Jerry, Scale Hobbyist has it in stock for $32.79 if that helps you any.