_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Iso Propanol Alcohol??
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
Is Iso Propanol Alcohol (IPA) the same as the regular rubbing alcohol we buy at the pharmacy?

Hisham
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hi Hisham,
in short, isopropyl alcohol is "pure" and stronger alcohol, with the percentage of alcohol in solution above 91%.
Rubbing alcohol is usually 70% alcohol.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the explanation!

Hisham
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:00 PM UTC
To Sasa's information, I would add that "rubbing" alcohols often contain some amount of lanolin or other emollients to help prevent the skin from drying out when they are used. IPA is a "pure" solution that does not contain (usually) these types of additives.

These same kinds of skin moisturizers are also usually additives in fingernail polish removers along with various colored dyes. This is why ordinary lacquer thinners should be used instead of fingernail polish remover to thin paints.

These additives in rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish remover (and, BTW, window-glass cleaners) can contaminate the paints they are used to thin and weaken the paint bonds with the model surfaces.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These additives in rubbing alcohol, fingernail polish remover (and, BTW, window-glass cleaners) can contaminate the paints they are used to thin and weaken the paint bonds with the model surfaces.

But experiment is key when sourcing a replacement thinners,i use window washer fluid with tamiya and have had no problems.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But experiment is key when sourcing a replacement thinners,i use window washer fluid with tamiya and have had no problems.

Otherwise known as thinning.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Most professional painters actually call it "reducing" and not "thinning," but, hey, we all know what we're talking about here...
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Most professional painters actually call it "reducing" and not "thinning," but, hey, we all know what we're talking about here...

agian Mike, you're slaying me....

BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 09:45 PM UTC
Ive got some at 99.9 and its strong stuff, if i use a lot i have to use it outdoors or id pass out. I use gloves and wear eye protection too. Ive yet to test just how highly flammable it is.. just in case i blow my eyebrows off
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC
Ipa is the only thing that managed to remove Vallejo primer and paint when I screwed up the job. But scrubbing the paint off without wearing gloves is NOT a good idea. Trust me. I had hands like lizard for a week after that
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 10:04 PM UTC
Isopropanol, isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol and propan-2-ol are all the same alcohol. It can generally be found at 70% or 90% in stores. Note: it is not the same as ethanol, which is what we normally call "alcohol", although it is in the same family of compounds.

Olaf
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 11:41 PM UTC
The reason I asked is that I saw this video about this guy making his own acrylic thinner using 2/3 water.. 1/3 IPA.. 1 mil paint retarder.. and 1 mil something else I can't remember right now.. and he swears by it... BUT, I found out that pure alcohol is illegal here in Egypt, all I can get is regular rubbing alcohol at the pharmacy.. so the point is pretty much moot

Hisham
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 07:01 PM UTC
When I first heard of IPA, I simply walked in to the nearest pharmacy asking for it and they sold me a bottle of 125ml for something like 3 Euro. It was magical stuff in combination with both Revel Aqua and Vallejo! It was mixing excellently, went on just fine and was dry to the touch in vurtually seconds.

Then one day, the bottle was empty... I went into another pharmacy and asked for IPA. The lady then asked me if I want the 76% or 98% version. I had no clue as I never realized to that point that there is more than one kind so I bought the "stronger, 98% version. The 250ml bottle was just above 2 Euro...which was nice.

Once home, I started using the new bottle just like I did before... Bhaaammm!!! The Vallejo paint was all cloging up in the airbrush, filling all the nozzles and stuff... Happy as one can be, I was about to ditch the whole bottle. Luckly, I compared the "strength" to that of the initial bottle and it turns out, the old, working version only had 76%. What I do ever since is mix in a separate bottle a 50-50 mix of tap water and 96% alcohol... Happyly modelling ever since!

Just my two cents!
Cristian
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 07:23 PM UTC
I never heard of isopropanol sold on pharmacies. Only ethanol. Isopropilic alcohol is usually sold in chemist shops...and is poisonous.
BobSolo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 11:46 PM UTC
APC PURE in the UK sell 99.9 on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/APC-PURE/Isopropanol-/_i.html?_fsub=3754197011
RGasper85
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
What's the difference between Iso alcohol and denatured alcohol? Could I use denatured alcohol to thin Vallejo or to clean my airbrush after painting?
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the difference between Iso alcohol and denatured alcohol? Could I use denatured alcohol to thin Vallejo or to clean my airbrush after painting?

NO. it's ethanol with a bunch of additives. It should only be used to thin/reduce shellacs or a cleaner/solvent. The additives are actually there to make it poisonous.
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wow...in Spain about 20€/L
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

NO. it's ethanol with a bunch of additives. It should only be used to thin/reduce shellacs or a cleaner/solvent. The additives are actually there to make it poisonous.

. Would it be OK to use this to clean the airbrush ?
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

. Would it be OK to use this to clean the airbrush ?

Yes, it's a good cleaner/solvent. I use it a lot to clean plugged rattle can nozzles and the ABs.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
It's pretty cheap at the local DIY store and you can get it at the gallon size .
 _GOTOTOP