_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Step 3 - Two OIF HUMMER's Done!!!!!!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
Well, the first two vehicles of five for an OIF diorama are finished.
Both of these are the new Tamiya M1025 and M1036. The figure in the M1036 is a mix of the driver from the kit and the Dragon Modern Marine's set. All the gear in both vehicles came from Verlinden, Tamiya, and Legand Productions.
The SINCGARS radio are from MR Models and the water bottle boxes are frm Extra Details. The bottles them selves are from the Academy M113 kit.
In the M1025, it seems that the crew got them selves a little mascot in the form of a little puppy.
The picture taking is coming along a little better. I wish some more of the detail came out like in the drivers side rear seat, there is a pair of "chock blocks" on the floor board. These are commanly missed by some modelers, especially me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what do you guys think!!!!!???????

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:16 PM UTC
Fantastic work again Epi. Love both Hummers and the interior is first class. Although the roof hides some of this, it must be a treat to peer in through the doors. Attention to detail is amazing. The addition of all the stowgae brings these vehicles to life. Nice one!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:43 PM UTC
ADDED NOTE!!!!!!
I didnt even see this until I was attaching the roof to the body of the M1036.
Some of you guys might wonder what are all the cables for the TOW!!???? Like I said, I didnt even notice this till it was almost to late. The MGS(Missile Guidence Set) has the battery that hooks up to the vehicle battery called the TOW Vehicle Power Conditioner. The batteries in the back of the of the vehicle are regular recharable batteries.
So, you should have a total of 4 cables for the TOW: 2 coming from the MGS - one from the little connector on the battery down to battery box under the passenger seat and one from the bog connector down through the turret and up through the bottom of the TU(Traversing Unit), the 3rd cable comes from the AN/TAS-4C Thermal Sight down to a small box called a VPC(Vehicle Power Conditioner) then to the Battery box under the passenger seat, the last cable runs along the left side of the TU attaching right next to the knob on the left up to the little box on top of the Thermal Night Sight.
If any one is really interested on correctly cabling the TOW, I have 9 pages from my school manuals that brake each piece down and gives a brief explination, just let me know!!!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:38 PM UTC
hi Pete,
As the answer to your question; So what do you guys think!!!!!??????? I couldnt think anything watching them admiring. Excellent stowage and detailing. I copied the interior shots to keep as reference for my Hummers. I would like the see the radio cables details if you have close up photos.
congrats for the good work.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC
Excellent work Pete... Did you use any aftermarket stuff for the Hummers? Does the model need any AM at all?

Mario M.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:52 PM UTC
Darn nice Work Epi!!
Really great work.
Question on the Firing of Tow is the vehicle left in netural or can it absorb the recoil like recoiless 106?
What I mean any surge as rocket leaves. (++)
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 03:42 PM UTC
Very nice work Pete! It's hard to really tell much about the weathering from the pics but the interiors look good. I have the TOW Humvee on the to do pile and would be interested in a better look at how you have the cables connected.

Mike
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:32 PM UTC
EPI:
Looks sweet, nice paint job on bith hummers. I see we used out new Tamiya US Modern Gear on theses puppies (including the puppy)
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 09:11 PM UTC
Love the detail work you gave the Tow carrier. How much of the detail came with the model and how much is after market? such as the carrying cases, the TOW weapon system itself? Brings back memories from all my years when I served on the M966 TOW carrier.

Quoted Text

General sgtreef asked: Question on the Firing of Tow is the vehicle left in netural or can it absorb the recoil like recoiless 106?
What I mean any surge as rocket leaves.

The Tow is recoiless. There is no surge what so ever. I can personally verify this, since I held a 11H (TOW weapons Crew) for over 11 years. During that time I fired it in the ground configuration, mounted on the M151A2 and the M966.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Love the detail work you gave the Tow carrier. How much of the detail came with the model and how much is after market? such as the carrying cases, the TOW weapon system itself? Brings back memories from all my years when I served on the M966 TOW carrier.

Quoted Text

General sgtreef asked: Question on the Firing of Tow is the vehicle left in netural or can it absorb the recoil like recoiless 106?
What I mean any surge as rocket leaves.

The Tow is recoiless. There is no surge what so ever. I can personally verify this, since I held a 11H (TOW weapons Crew) for over 11 years. During that time I fired it in the ground configuration, mounted on the M151A2 and the M966.

Thanks SSG Greer!!
they were just coming into use when I left the service!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:37 PM UTC
Just got back from my weekend drill.
Maki,
No after market was used on the two kits except for the radios and the ammo box holder on the M1025 is photo etch, and of course all the gear.
Graywolf and Kelly,
Give me a day or two to scan some pages in and TRY and take some pictures of the radio's and TOW for you all. I also have the manual on th SINCGARS too.
Sgt Reef,
As soon as I read your thread, first thing that came to my mind was trying to remember who was the TOW gunner her in our group. Than I scaned down and sure enough, ther he was. Thanks Manchu for answering Sgt Reefs question. I never got to see a ground mount or Hummer mounted TOW fire, just live fire from the Bradley.

Thanks guys for all your comments
rbrungard
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC
Looks really good! Questions.... Where did you get the murmite drink container in the 1046? and what did you use for the coil cable from the TU to the MGS?
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
Fabulous work there Pete. I'm just drooling looking at the pictures. I'm trying to build a Hummer used by the SF in Iraq maybe you can help me out with some details.
 _GOTOTOP