_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting wet vehicles
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 02:36 AM UTC
Does anyone have useful advice on painting wet vehicles? I am in the process of making a diorama and comment has been raised about how I am going to show the fact that its raining and the vehicles (and a figure) are wet. Obviously they will be glossier than dry vehicles, but I wouldn't like people to think that I finish my models with gloss varnish! Have studied various books and web forums, but I haven't found anything on this precise subject, so any help will be welcome.

Chris
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Chris,
I have always thought that gloss looks unreal to represent wet mud or vehicles. I would use satin instead. Perhaps mix it with gloss and use several ratios to add variety, and do not cover the whole vehicle.

I have never tried it and would be glad if you can share your experiences once you do it!
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 03:40 PM UTC
Using wet effect from AK Interactive or Ammo of Mig is a good way to represent rain/wet on a vehicle. Use it like you would a streaking effect on a flat varnished surface, to represent wet areas. It has more effect on vertical surfaces and I've always found that representing dampness is more visually appealing with some dry areas around.
Do a Google search or search Youtube for tutorials on these products. Hope this helps.

Dan
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 04:33 PM UTC
I did a "wet" model a while ago ( Hurricane) and used an overspray of thinned Micro Gloss shot from above to get a satin wet look on the upper surfaces, and then hand-painted the same stuff on as streaks on vertical surfaces and "puddlings" in corners. I find a quick coating doesn't turn things glossy - it takes more coats to get that "ready for decals" gloss that you want to avoid.

Bear in mind that rain is directional, so it is very plausible for one side of the tank to be wet while the other is still dry! And surface dust tends to disappear when wet, so be sparing with the dust on the wet areas. Then there's dry dirt and wet mud on the running gear to play with...
RNicoletti
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 08:51 PM UTC
Chris,

I've experimented with creating "wet effects" a couple of times.

I used acrylic "Future" and misted it on from above following up with creating streaks down verticle surfaces with a brush. I think "Future" looks too shiny, and agree with the other comments that a satin effect looks more realistic. Winsor & Newton's Artist's Matte Varnish would probably work better.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned earlier is the color shift that occurs with wet surfaces. Clothes and vehicles have to be darker in the areas that are supposed to be wet.

Good luck!

Rich
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 11:10 AM UTC

The one thing I didn't see mentioned earlier is the color shift that occurs with wet surfaces. Clothes and vehicles have to be darker in the areas that are supposed to be wet.

Absolutely! Some times the satin or gloss varnish darkens the area enough but some additional TLC is sometimes required.

Dan
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC
Thanks guys; some useful ideas here. I am quite unable to find a UK (ie quick) source for the AK fluid, so I will experiment with Klear/Future and satin varnish as I would like to progress my build ASAP!

Chris
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 01:06 PM UTC
Chris,
I just picked up a copy of the new Model Military International and there is an excellent article by Jose Brito on finishing a "wet" vehicle. Probably the best article on this subject that I've ever seen. It is based on An M4 landing on the beaches on D-day. It covers the vehicle, ground work, and even the figures wet uniforms. If you can obtain a copy, I really recommend it.

Dan
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 - 06:20 PM UTC
Even though in true life, a long rain storm might leave every inch of a vehicle wet and everything soaked to the bone - I've found that since you are working on artwork for lack of better terms - you have to present the viewer with the best way to understand that it's rain and not just a super glossy vehicle - that's where I find that using gloss on top surfaces and running down horizontal surfaces - the contrast between the gloss and flat will catch the viewers eye and be easier to imagine it's a rain and not just a characteristic of the vehicle paint.
 _GOTOTOP