Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OIF USF-I QRF Mosul, Iraq 2007
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to provide input.

Yes, architectural counters indeed! Plenty of those on this build will continue to take place. In my little world, this will represent my mini grand mosque. I am hoping it will look good at the end, time will tell.

And yes, no wood, going with metal frame. Now it’s time to re-do the old wood look into old metal finish… I’ll paint the frame grimy black with paint clips and rust. I’ll post update soon.

Thanks for looking & please keep them comments coming. They are always welcomed.

JGphins
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 07:09 AM UTC
Okay, so after various attempts... I believe that this window frame is finally done. It should represent a very old rusty and dirty metal frame. I agree with Jerry that there should be no stained glass on frame due to battle damage and high blast fragments on wall. Here's the result:

The last picture shows a few bullet & blast fragmentation holes. My camera doesn't capture all the details but the damage is there. One of these frames will contain a partially destroyed frame and twisted metal parts.

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

JGphins
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 06:32 PM UTC
Turned out brilliantly! Love the antique look to the metal. The stained glass looked really cool and it's too bad it's gone as far as the artistic aspect goes but this look is way more realistic IMHO?
Sometimes the artistic license card is better when it stays in the deck.
This will look awesome when the wall is painted,etc.
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC
JG,
Thanks for being so kind in accepting my "critique" of your work. A "grand" mosque it is... I just didn't understand your street scene in context... and yes, as artists, we can pretty much do as we like in making our dioramas fit the story WE are building... we are not necessarily trying to replicate factual experiences. Sometimes, I forget that and get carried away. All that is an apology for being critical of your brilliant work. Unfortunately, since we are all doing this via messages instead of personal interaction, discussions seem to be statements of facts. So once again, I apologize.

Your metal frame work looks brilliant and I think some stained glass behind it would work if the damage could be simulated. But it is very realistic as is and I like it a lot. Working on two blocks of a street scene is really cool...

And I understand about spending on a diorama... my little 12" x 16" is up to about $350 and I need a new Dremel and three more elements... so at least another $150... expensive hobby but I don't drink, smoke or do drugs so I have to spend my money on some vice, right?

I am keeping up with your build and keep on carving! It looks great!
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 - 01:58 AM UTC
Thanks for looking & inputs gents!

Jerry, the frame turned out better then expected. I am glad it withstood all the sanding, re-painting, and re-sanding steps without breaking apart. LOL. That artistic license card will have to hold for now but it's in the pocket... Perhaps a few cut up sharp looking pieces will be added down the road to simulate shattered broken glass on a few edges will be applied. But for now I think it's a good time to finish the remaining frames and finally get around to priming and painting those mosque walls.

Patrick, no need my friend to apologize. I welcome all critiques especially from such experienced modelers on this site. I am learning the fine art of this wonderful craft and it's the reason why I decided to post my WIP here. I value everyone's input and it's a tremendous benefit to have people from all around the world and skill levels evaluate, provide input, or just view our efforts. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming because they are always welcomed.

My next update might take a while as I would like to finally share significant progress to the second block. I hope to have the ground foundation trimmed out, street and sidewalks in place, mosque perimeter brick fence installed... This all might take a while but if I run into a brick wall along the way I will share earlier progress pics and once again reach out for suggestions.

Till next time, happy modeling!

JGphins
Cowboyronin
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 10:53 PM UTC
Your work to say the least is just awesome. I can look at this for hours and I am in just awe. I am new to modeling and at some point want to to build a scene like this.
Right now I am just a sponge trying to absorb everything I can from you fine artists on this this site.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC
very nice antiquing on the windows. Outstanding work!

—mike
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 12:55 AM UTC
[quote]very nice antiquing on the windows. Outstanding work!

I agree !

Kurt
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thanks for reply & compliments.

Jeff, I am new to this scale myself but have been building HO scale model trains for years so that's where I picked up the practice. I find scale 1/35 a bit more difficult since the kits are bigger thus greater detailing required. I also came to this site to learn from all the awesome modelers here. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you like.

Mike / Kurt, That little window required about 3 different versions to achieve that old rusty weathered look. I am glad I didn't break the wood frame in the process.

I've been busy working on the mosque portal gate for a few days and it's about 80% complete. Here's a few pictures of the process:

Started with an HO scale train portal by Woodland Scenic:

Then the wood piece from Michaels to make the frame for the portal's stained glass:

First time ever working on PE, this little gate took a lot of effort to complete...

Then putting it all together, a few re-sized internet items and purchased doll house floor tile pieces to add color...

Thanks for looking!

JGphins
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
Exceptional workmanship!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC
Yeah man,that really works!! Looks the biz. The PE and tiles really pop and I love how you added the PE leaves to the metal gate. Nice touch.
J
Cowboyronin
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:36 PM UTC
I am just amazed at the workmanship, and detail. That their my man is skill and talent. I hope to be there someday!!
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:35 PM UTC
JG,
The gate looks great in so many ways.

Yes, PE is a lady. Did you use a jig to line everything up square? Or just your standard cutting mat?

How did you simulate the bullet holes and damage? The radiating chipping is amazing.

Also, how did you do the Arabic writing on the tiles? Is it accurate? If so, I'm curious what it says! It looks very real.

Great work! Can't wait to see more!
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
this build is so great, and such a joy to watch! Incredible attention to detail.
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi JG ,

that figure on the last photo looks well done to me. You have nothing to worry about really. This is a fantastic build in progress and i'm in awe truly!! What a Talent you have !

Well done sir

Kurt
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the compliments. I am glad that you find interest in this dio & I appreciate your inputs. So far I am about 1 year into this project and I estimate that the entire build might be about 3 years total to complete. All depends on life challenges, ARMY active duty orders & mandatory training events for FY16 & 17. Nonetheless, I enjoy every minute & plan each step countless times before taking action.

Patrick, here are the answers to some of your questions:

Yes, a jig & a cutting mat were used on the PE gate. I intentionally made a few iron parts bent to simulate damage to gate. Still pending rust and grimy black weathering.

An X-Acto blade #11 was utilize to create the bullet hole damages and chipping. Then India Ink (Heavy) in all holes (plus all brick lines) to simulate dirt. One dried I lightly sanded areas down using a piece of steel wool and removed the outer shades of India Ink to show aged cement. Here's a closer look at the same progress rate (80%).

The tile art is 100% accurate. These are re-sized internet images of actual Middle East mosque sites (Iraq & Iran mosque tiles). They are calligraphic writings on tile depicting the name of God, Muhammad and the first caliphs. Among other Islamic religious writings. I have compiled various samples to utilize on all three structures. Various meanings, perhaps when completed I will list all definitions per location... I have it written somewhere.

I am still pending completion of the 2nd gate half, support wall plates, painting details, and a bit more weathering to the portal. Once completed I will share the updates.

Thanks again to all for your continued interest and kind replies. Till next time, happy modeling!

JGphins
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:54 AM UTC
Beautiful work JG everything's aces the gate is truly a work of art !!!
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply JG... didn't even think of using printed images then mounted to the works... I am learning so much from the excellent builders here. I don't go to any of the other forums except diorama... there is so much to see.

Just incredible...
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliments Cheyenne & Patrick, the're appreciated.

Today's update is small but nonetheless I wanted to share a few pictures of my progress. So far, I have scratch built 3 out of 4 columns to support the iron wrought fence, completed the second portal gate and installed, and added street light. Take a look.

Smoke effect from (future) IED blast...

Night view...

Next update will reflect painted columns glued to portal, rust & dirt weathering, security camera installed to portal upper corner wall, and perhaps a quick look at the mosque block progress.

Thanks for looking!

JGphins
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC
Nice additions!
J
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC
Very fine details, meticulous work.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
Nice ornaments on the posts. And that night shot has an eerie realism about it!

—mike
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hey Jerry, Alex, and Mike, thanks for the compliment gents!

So, I made a mock lay out of the mosque ground structures and wanted to share what I think will be the final placements. Also, found almost exact marble tiles shown on this Iraq mosque courtyard, that a look.

Once the final lay out is determined I'll work on setting plaster to the foundation and build the streets, fence, then cut and glue the marble floor tiles in place. Really excited about this board!

Feedback is always welcomed, good or bad, thanks!

JGphins
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:49 AM UTC
I can't wait to see more!!!! this build is unreal
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC
That pic of the real building shows a very very beautiful building for sure. Islam declares that there will be no depicting the human form in art so it is interesting the way they have elevated the artform of the geometric pattern for decoration. Very striking.
J