M1A2SEP Comparison Build Tamiya / Dragon
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is always better to list the shop price as it is a stable price unlike Ebay where you never know what the price is going to be.

No argument, there. I just thought Donald was paying retail for all of his stuff, so I suggested ebay because I can usually get what I want for what I personally feel is a fair price. If I don't see what I want, for what I think IS a fair price, I WAIT until I do...

It may take me YEARS to get what I want- I waited 4 years to buy a brass HO New York, Ontario & Western Y-2 Class 4-8-2 Steam Locomotive, ($450.00 + shipping) and I waited since 2007 to buy a brass HO New York Central NE-2G Class 2-6-6-2 Articulated "Pusher" Steam Locomotive, ($825.00 + shipping) last November- Something like that usually brings upwards of $1200.00 to $1500.00 at auction, so I guess I did pretty good... Don't get me wrong, I don't make a habit out of buying stuff in those price ranges!!!
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:55 PM UTC
Now we roll on to the Wheels.
Below are the front and back views of both sets.

As you can see the Dragon ones have clear center hubs while the Tamiya don't.

The next 2 Pics. are of the Drive Sprockets, I drilled out oval holes in the Tamiya Sprocket as they are missing there.

I think I'll thin out the edge of the holes.

OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC
The Dragon Wheels Front & Back.

The Tamiya Wheels Front & Back.

The Tamiya Wheels have a large bulge on the back to hold the poly cap bushing.

The Tamiya Tires are narrower in width than the Dragon ones.

Both sets are the same size in Diameter & outside width.
That's all for now.
Donald
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
Donald, thank you so much for doing a comparison, it's great to be able to see the specifics of each kit up close! Also, I noticed the anti-slip coating is missing in some areas on the tamiya kit, are you going to add it or keep it as is for the comparison?
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Donald, thank you so much for doing a comparison, it's great to be able to see the specifics of each kit up close! Also, I noticed the anti-slip coating is missing in some areas on the tamiya kit, are you going to add it or keep it as is for the comparison?

I'm going to leave it as is, anything that I add would look way out of scale.
Donald
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
I have the side skirts finished.
First are the Dragon skirts, there are a lot of Photo-etch to add to the top edges. I'll install them on the hull after the lower hull is painted.

I installed the skirts of the Tamiya kit with the reactive armor to the top of the hull, it all lifts up from the lower hull.

This is the TUSK II configuration, you can make it a TUSK I configuration by leaving the curved tiles off.

The brackets holding the tiles seem a little heavy, I don't know if this is correct.
I'll be working on the gun next.
Donald
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not so. Adding scale anti-slip texture is pretty easy. See here.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have found some texture paint at the Lows Home improvement store.
I will be experimenting with it before using it on the Abrams.
Donald

It comes in multiple colors from sand to dark grey.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:48 PM UTC
Here are the Gun Barrels comparison.

Measuring from the pointy front of the mantlet, the Dragon Gun Barrel is 100 mm long the Tamiya one is 97 mm long I don't know which is right.

OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC
The muzzle reference parts must be angled slightly.

The armor sleeve on the coaxle Mg. is 1 mm longer on the Dragon kit.

Don't ask me what these are, they are suposed to be the breech blocks?

That's all for now.
Donald
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 08:44 PM UTC
Following your excellent posts closely. Good stuff and great build photos.
I found this on the web "M1A2_Abrams_120mm_Breech_by_M1A2Tanker". Not an area visible on the finished kit, but a reference

Please keep up the wonderful work here! Cheers
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi Donald,
the tray on the Dragon breech block deflects the stub case to the turret basket floor. I'm surprised to see the size difference in the breeches.

Sean
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC
I guess since the kit has been out for a while, I guess I can post these now. These where taken of the Abrams I had in the motor pool I worked at during the time of the R&D of the kit and given to Pawel.There is more but I didn't scan them all in.

You can use them to verify your findings.

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 07:53 PM UTC
Pete,
thanks for posting this information, it shows how seriously Pawel approached this project. Now if my math is correct the full length of the gun from the pointy front of the mantlet
(as Donald says)is 336.6 cm which scales down to 9.62 cm or 96.2 mm. Its difficult to tell from Donald's photo where the extra length is, maybe in the bore evacuator ? I'll check my kit.

Sean
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have found some texture paint at the Lows Home improvement store.

I will be experimenting with it before using it on the Abrams.
Donald

It comes in multiple colors from sand to dark grey.

I tried it on an old 1/16th. scale King Tiger turret shell.
Below is it , the side to the left was masked with the Blue masking tape & the right with clear plastic mending tape.

Here is a close up , the blue tape leaves a clean line if removed before the paint dries.

Here is the natural color sprayed on a sheet of Bare Metal Foil. Ithas a verry nice texture.

A close up of the part painted with Model Master Armor Sand.

I tried both Tamiya & Model Master Paints over the texture paint , both covered the texture without any problems.
I think that I'm going to leave the Tamiya Abrams without the non slip, It'll be a real pain in the backside masking arround all the installed fittings.
Donald
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pete,
thanks for posting this information, it shows how seriously Pawel approached this project. Now if my math is correct the full length of the gun from the pointy front of the mantlet
(as Donald says)is 336.6 cm which scales down to 9.62 cm or 96.2 mm. Its difficult to tell from Donald's photo where the extra length is, maybe in the bore evacuator ? I'll check my kit.

Sean

That's correct. 96.2mm is right.
I don't know how Donald measured the barrel that he got 100mm, but if measured as indicated in my drawings posted by Pete, the length of the kit barrel is approx. 97mm (at least in the built AIM I have here). It should be - it was designed exactly according to Pete's measurements. Tamiya barrel is slightly too short.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
I just measured the Dragon M1A1 that I built previously it measures at 97 mm. on the nose.
I re measured both the Dragon and the Tamiya guns on this build as you can see in the photos below the Dragon gun comes out a hair over 99 mm. and the tamiya a hair over 97 mm.

The Tamiya Gun is fixed in position.
The Dragon Gun is different from their previous kits, It is made to slide in and out (say- RECOIL) I have it fully extended with the inner most step on the barrel even with the pointy part.

If I moved the barrel to 97 mm. the innermost step on the barrel will be recessed into the mantlet.
Donald
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...this information...shows how seriously Pawel approached this project.

Hopefully it also shows everyone you can't just wish a new product into existance. There's far more to it than a simple cyber recon.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just measured the Dragon M1A1 that I built previously it measures at 97 mm. on the nose.
I re measured both the Dragon and the Tamiya guns on this build as you can see in the photos below the Dragon gun comes out a hair over 99 mm. and the tamiya a hair over 97 mm

So Tamiya barrel seems to be more or less correct after all, but something is wrong with your Dragon barrel assembly... It shouldn't be this long. I don't know exactly what is the cause, but I know that these parts were designed to be approx 96 -97 mm long after assembly.

I don't blame you: it's possible that after 10 years the parts don't come out of the mold exactly the same as they did initially...
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 12:43 PM UTC
I have just finished building the #3556 kit, an yes, the moulds from the old SEP #3536 kit are getting a bit worn out.
Also, in the instructions, Step 16, parts a4, a9, and a3, the Smoke Grenade Box, a3 is shown upside down.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:41 PM UTC
I couldn't get the turret top to fit over the Gun Mantlet (see below)on the Dragon Turret

A close up.

Here is how I finally got it installed.

Then fit the turret bottom being careful that the pins on the Gun Trunion fit into the circular indentions on the bottom part.

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC
Something's definitely up, I don't recall having that kind of problem with the assembly. Edit - I just noticed there appears to be a different color of plastic with the barrel assembly? Did Dragon change something in the kit I wonder?

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:47 PM UTC
A little late, but it does not seem that the Dragon barrel sections fit flush, with each other. This may account for a 1-2mm discrepancy.
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
The Tamiya Turret went together without any problems, Just I screwed up and forgot to drill out the holes for the small parts, I'm sure I'll find a way arround this.

Besure not to install the small flap that goes on the rear top of the mantlet, I had to remove it to get the gun to fit.

Here are the turrets ready for the small parts.

Donald
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I re measured both the Dragon and the Tamiya guns on this build as you can see in the photos below the Dragon gun comes out a hair over 99 mm. and the tamiya a hair over 97 mm

So Tamiya barrel seems to be more or less correct after all, but something is wrong with your Dragon barrel assembly... It shouldn't be this long. I don't know exactly what is the cause, but I know that these parts were designed to be approx 96 -97 mm long after assembly.

I don't blame you: it's possible that after 10 years the parts don't come out of the mold exactly the same as they did initially...

I don't know how old these molds are, here is a Pic. of the assembly instructions.