_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sturm-Panther....really?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
Second vehicle down...Sturm Panther. Did it really exist? Especially on a G chassis? Really??
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Second vehicle down...Sturm Panther. Did it really exist? Especially on a G chassis? Really??

It did exist on paper and apparently a wooden mock up of the project was presented to Guderian in August 1944 before all work stopped in September 1944. I guess they borrowed a Panther Chassis to put the mock wood turret onto

I don't really get exited by all these strange prototypes and paper Panzer's
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:07 PM UTC
I wasn't getting excited either - just thought it was a colossal waste.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of the German war effort? Certainly, but there are many, many things that applies to, fortunately.

Of a model company's efforts? Not at all. It's what they do.

KL
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hmmm...did I forget to post the link? http://www.realmodel.cz/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=41
miniflea
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:11 AM UTC
Not my cup of tea but an interesting what-if.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC
We have to remember that what if's and Paper Panzers do have a following. I have bought the odd model myself.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Of the German war effort? Certainly, but there are many, many things that applies to, fortunately.

Of a model company's efforts? Not at all. It's what they do.

KL

For the involved engineers and designer it made a colossal
sense. Get yourself into an important project to keep
yourself away from the front, especially the eastern front.
My grandfather worked with cutting steel plates to build
submarines, then Hitler decided that submarines would not
win the war so a lot of shipyard workers became available
to be soldiers, my grandfather was put on a train, eastward
bound, then someone changed Hitlers mind and shipyard
workers became a priority again, my grandfather was taken
off the train somewhere in Poland and sent back home again.
He survived the war and bought me toys when I was a kid ...

Making sense or being a waste depends on which viewpoint
one takes. A lot of waste for the total war effort but
maybe 100% sense for those working with it ...

And remember the old saying: Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do criticize him, you'll be a mile away and you have his shoes ;-)

/ Robin
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
I like that old saying... And let's not forget that old Adolf always had strange obsessions with "wonder weapons" that would win him the war. What-if AFVs can also be fun to build, too.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:28 AM UTC
Why not a "G" chassis? That would make the most sense, to me. And, don't forget, there was even a Maus prototype built.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC
I can understand why it was a drawing board consideration. But if you think about it, a 15cm Heavy Infantry Gun, mounted in a rotatable turret is simply overkill and needlessly complex.

The gun would be a bombardment weapon and wouldn't require the complexity of a full operational turret when a large superstructure (with better ammo stowage) would do the trick. Or.... just keep making more Grilles or upgrade a StuH III
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:22 AM UTC
Not to mention the amount of room that beast would take up in the turret.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't equate a person's individual survival with the Third Reich's overall war effort.

Similarly I will however remain glad that the Reich was unable to use it's resources efficiently as this contributed to their demise before my father needed to be pulled from flight training and put into infantry in the ETO.

KL
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wouldn't equate a person's individual survival with the Third Reich's overall war effort.

Similarly I will however remain glad that the Reich was unable to use it's resources efficiently as this contributed to their demise before my father needed to be pulled from flight training and put into infantry in the ETO.

KL

Well Kurt, I wasn't equating an individuals best interest with the overall war effort ;-)
Considering the general nature of war (lots of people get
killed you know)I would actually go so far as to say that
for the vast majority of involved individuals their desire
survive stands in conflict with the war effort. Even Hitler
would probably have survived longer if he hadn't triggered
the war ;-)
My grandfather survived thanks to changed priorities, and
I'm not passign judgement on whether building submarines
was good or bad for the german war effort. Maybe it would
have been better for Hitler & Co to spend those resources
on demolishing the harbours and transportation system in
Britain? I don't know the answer .....
Building submarines was definitely good for my grandfather
/ Robin
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:31 PM UTC
Ho hum, another paper panzer, NONE of which saw service.

Yet, to date, there are NO decent kits of a Bergepanther A or G, and there were hundreds of them!

Regards

Rob
warmonger
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:14 PM UTC
I have to agree with you on that. I love the look of the bergepanther. Tried the Italiar kit years ago, and it was horrible. Incomplete moulding, flash, poor fit, just a bad kit. But they did try.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can understand why it was a drawing board consideration. But if you think about it, a 15cm Heavy Infantry Gun, mounted in a rotatable turret is simply overkill and needlessly complex.

The gun would be a bombardment weapon and wouldn't require the complexity of a full operational turret when a large superstructure (with better ammo stowage) would do the trick. Or.... just keep making more Grilles or upgrade a StuH III

When the US created the 105mm Shermans they were intended as "assault tanks", likewise for fire support. They used a turret-mounted gun (to maintain commonality in production as much as anything else) but deleted the gun tank's power turret controls. Once fielded the crews quickly demanded power controls and the design was changed. Apparently there was some value to a fully functional turret, at least from the American viewpoint, whether from a doctrinal standpoint or simply because of the war they had to fight.

KL
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When the US created the 105mm Shermans they were intended as "assault tanks", likewise for fire support. They used a turret-mounted gun (to maintain commonality in production as much as anything else) but deleted the gun tank's power turret controls. Once fielded the crews quickly demanded power controls and the design was changed. Apparently there was some value to a fully functional turret, at least from the American viewpoint, whether from a doctrinal standpoint or simply because of the war they had to fight.

KL

I could understand it for a late war vehicle. The Blitzkrieg moved too fast to implement such a design. Although, it may have helped on the Eastern Front and probably had a lot to do, with the design. Germany(or more correctly Hitler) had a panache for bigger is better. Just look at the Ratte or Landkruizer. Germany would have been better served by pursuing the high velocity 75 and deadly 88.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

I could understand it for a late war vehicle. The Blitzkrieg moved too fast to implement such a design. Although, it may have helped on the Eastern Front and probably had a lot to do, with the design. Germany(or more correctly Hitler) had a panache for bigger is better. Just look at the Ratte or Landkruizer. Germany would have been better served by pursuing the high velocity 75 and deadly 88.

Would have, what if, paper panzers are popular with a lot of modellers, just not yours truly. I think DRAGON's efforts would be better served if they decided to improve some of their past releases, such as correcting their US Half-Tracks, bringing their US M4-series Mediums up to ASUKA/TASCA standards, coming out with all-new US M3-series Light tanks and delivering on their cancelled US/British M3 Lee/Grant Mediums. Maybe even taking up the subject of a US M8 75mm HMC...

But THAT won't happen, because non-existent WWII German types are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT...
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But THAT won't happen, because non-existent WWII German types are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT...

I would be happy if they remanufactured some of their older kits. I am looking for a Dragon Late Kingtiger or a Panther A but no one has them.

This allows scalpers on E-bay to try and get silly prices.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to feel it might be time for Dragon to pull a Asuka and rename themselves to "Germans, prototypes and Iron Man in scale", honestly
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have to feel it might be time for Dragon to pull a Asuka and rename themselves to "Germans, prototypes and Iron Man in scale", honestly

HEAR, HEAR!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

KL

Uncle Adolf was off his nut!!! He also used to say such valuable things as: "WHAT AN ELEGANT BARREL!!!" and such other nonsense when viewing new prototypes..,

REALLY? A "Landkreuzer" or a "Ratte"??? On the European or Russian Fronts? In all that mud? Riiiiiight...
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
My only criticism was in reference to: the days of "Sturm-ing" were long past, as German forces were on the defensive, or retreat, on all fronts. Any redundant tank (Pz.lll/lV) chassis could be used as a platform for the 15 cm gun. Panther chassis were much better employed as tanks or Jagdpanthers. Of course, that's Herr Hitler for you!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My only criticism was in reference to: the days of "Sturm-ing" were long past, as German forces were on the defensive, or retreat, on all fronts. Any redundant tank (Pz.lll/lV) chassis could be used as a platform for the 15 cm gun. Panther chassis were much better employed as tanks or Jagdpanthers. Of course, that's Herr Hitler for you!

If "GROFAZ", as the German Generals called him, had his way, he might have even robbed some of the Kriegsmarine heavy "battleship-style" guns and had them mounted in tank chassis...

("GROFAZ" = "Groester Feldherr der Aller Zeiten" = Greatest Field Commander of All Time, the term Hitler liked to use when referring to himself... Please forgive the "oe"- I'm the world's worst typist, and I don't know the procedure for producing an "umlaut"...)
 _GOTOTOP