_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How'd I end up on THIS detail?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC
Ya know when a GI is happy because he's ladyin'.
My big dio is in the end phase so while I complete the showplace stuff for it I wanted to keep my hand in the building game with another vignette. I am trying to keep a schedule with one German topic,then one Allied,one German and so on.

Started in on the first dude. Para from the 504PIR (of course) in the 1944 jump suit.

He began life as a Dragon "Operation Varsity" guy but I am finding it isn't always necessary to use a para fig to start. The later jump suits can be easily made from regular GI uniforms.
I have to try to keep pace with Nick here and that ain't easy.
J
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
you're a machine Jerry, looking forward to this new adventure!
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hey Jerry - I'm just trying to build half as many as you have!!! And remember, I follow yours for intructions!!! Looking forward to another para fig! Your last few we're pretty un flippin-believable!!!

Now, with your secret weapon, the optivisor, they're even better!! BTW - now, in addition to painting figs, I use the opti for working PE! So, thanks for that tip too!

Looking forward to your next steps - cutting and magic with putty!

Cheers
Nick
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi J ,

you can count me in on this new project too . And thanks for the tip with the AK paints in your other Topic , i check them out for sure

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC
Erik,Nick and Kurt,
Thanks for looking in and for typing such nice remarks. I know all these builds are probably getting boring but I have to keep going while the mojo is strong.

Here we are after another night of wondering how this will go. I changed his arms a few times to look for just the right amount of boredom in his pose. He is not hitch hiking no. There is a method to my madness here though.

I am still not happy with the helmet and need to re-shape it from the side view. I wish there was a good source of decent GI helmets and also PE web gear. It is nice that Dragon has come out with the Gen2 American stuff though.
J
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 12:08 AM UTC
I decided to go with the GenII helmet as it was way easier. Added the Garand and belt and gear,etc. Puttied it all up. Needs one last touch up of putty and shoulder straps and rifle sling,chin straps,etc.

Put some volume in the chest pockets and added the tie down strap to the trousers as well. Here is a shot with a quick squirt of primer shot on.

His left hand will look more in character when the sling is put on and run under the thumb. I am going for a bored look.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,
Funny, just yesterday, I happened to be watching a video on the Fallschirmjäger. This made me think … hmmm … I’ll bet Jerry is due to have another Para in the works soon … and violá!

And he may look bored but we’re not!

—mike

PS: How are you liking the Hornet Hands?

PS: Uh oh, subscriptions may not work on this thread because of the apostrophe (') used in the title. Nick, you know what I'm (I am) talking about. I really wish IT could fix that pesky little problem.
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:30 AM UTC
Looking forward to this vignette, Jerry.
Even at the early stage, this figure looks fantastic.
Are the hands aftermarket items?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 01:48 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Really nice things to say about this guy and I appreciate it immensely.
Yes,the hands are from Hornet. I have also used and have a stock of ones from Alpine and Historex.
Some of the newer Dragon hands are not bad at all though! I didn't know that about the contractions and all. I will try to remember tht,thanks for the tip.

J
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 03:23 PM UTC
Its great to see the progress on this figure from the picture at the start to where he is now- excellent stuff Jerry!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2015 - 06:32 PM UTC
Thanks Karl,
I never know how to think about putting up so many WIP pics on this. I don't want to be repetitious and boring about it but I do see by the "hit count" that people are checking so I have to assume they find it useful?
And then there are the guys like you that post the nice comments. I guess it's OK to keep on this track?
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
Here he goes again....

Your stuff is always fun to watch, Jerry and educational too! So keep it comin'!

About this guy; I like the stance, the face, the detail, but the helmet.... Not so much. A bit too big. And maybe move it back into the neck a bit more. Remembering my own time with the M1 on my noggin' I hated it when it was in my face.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:34 PM UTC
Ah Jerry- come on now, you see that post view count as you said- lots of people are watching your stuff and you can bet they're watching because they find it useful and interesting. I certainly do and as Ron says 'keep it comin'!'
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 06:50 PM UTC
OK,cool,thanks Karl and Ron.
I am not a very confident guy at this stage of life so that is why I wrestle with this issue. Even though the count level is up,yes,I just don't want to be the guy that posts a million pics of his grand kids because "aren't they just the cutest kids ever born"? Or something like that. Heheheh
I see what you mean Ron,about the helmet. I tried two different helmets from different kits and they were both the exact same size. The helmet is just tacked on with clay right now and so I can move it and it should tilt more to the rear,I agree. If I wasn't worried about copyright infringement I would post the WWII pic I was using as a guide for this bored,tired guy. Thanks guys for taking the time to comment though,I appreciate it as always fellas,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
Working on the next guy,which probably gives away a lot of the upcoming story. I want to repeat a quick "how to" on undercutting and carving. These MB figs are perfect for that because of the super soft plastic. The Dragon plastic tends to be much harder and also chips easily.

Stock guy just tacked together with an ultra light shot of primer on to better highlight the details.

I will see what kind of mischief I can get into here.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
A couple of hours later. The pockets were converted to the later war style and he has lost a lot of weight as well. Undercutting on all seams,etc and a Warriors head is added. What say ye?

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:54 AM UTC
Du habst grosse skillz mein herr..... Das ist zer gutt!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thats some transformation Jerry- such an improvement in terms of the details!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 06:55 PM UTC
Dave and Karl,thanks.
This was just using the exacto blade and elbow grease so it doesn't take any money,well,new blades every so often but you get my point.
Now on to putty and a few details.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Jerry - I've said it before: keep posting the WIP!!! Looks great!

Nick
Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
Looks great! Your projects work as great inspiration for me to keep pushing my own figure modeling. So please keep posting
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 02:50 AM UTC
Nick and Johan,
Your wish is my...
Here is the newest guy with carving,undercutting and gluing together accomplished. Still needs putty and details. On this guys' overcoat you can really get the idea of how much undercutting improves things. Pity I forgot to take a "before" picture though.

Thanks for looking as always,
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 12:24 AM UTC
As usual...haha! The thing I really like about your figures is that you always squeeze expression out of plastic - they don't look like mannequins!!! Another nice one in the works!

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 06:17 PM UTC
Thanks Nick for looking in and the nice comments. I am trying to bring these little guys to life in a way. Maybe because they are doing things I can't do any more? LoL
I should quit trying to figure out the reason behind building scenes and just get on with it I suppose.
J
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 02:36 AM UTC
Nifty work, Jerry.
 _GOTOTOP