_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Ugly Tamiya M-36
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC
Had to do something with this over scaled ugly mess of a model from Tamiya ancient 70's. Still need's weathering...a few washes will darken the green... A captured M-36 the Germans are using at Normandy lol
I have an even uglier Academy M-36 which seem's to be the same molds...I'm gonna blow that one up....

PS- don't buy this kit.

buy this one instead
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:16 PM UTC
my google photo album not working...geez
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC

So David, are you building a beutepanzer M36, right ?

Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC
Back when Tamiya released this kit it was state-of-the-art. I don't really think anyone back then could have foreseen how far modeling would advance over the next 45 years. This is not a kit for people who are concerned with total accuracy, that's for sure. This would be a good kit for someone starting out in the hobby or someone who wanted to practice their painting skills.
It's amazing how far this hobby has come since I was a kid building models in the '70s.

Jeff
Removed by original poster on 09/09/15 - 16:58:27 (GMT).
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:37 AM UTC
Build it out of the box, put the motor in and watch it zoom around the floor.

It's only out of scale for 1/35. For 1/32 it's perfectly fine. The suspension can be used to update Monogram's re-released Shermans. Another trip down memory lane when state of the art meant that there was finally a kit of it.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Build it out of the box, put the motor in and watch it zoom around the floor.

It's only out of scale for 1/35. For 1/32 it's perfectly fine. The suspension can be used to update Monogram's re-released Shermans. Another trip down memory lane when state of the art meant that there was finally a kit of it.

thats an idea, Dundas hobby Store has the Tamiya motors
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So David, are you building a beutepanzer M36, right ?

Is that the right name for it in German? kool
I'll try to get my picture working.

can you see it???
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:00 AM UTC
No offense, but it looks like one of those tanks that they tried to pass off as German in the 60's-70's war movies!!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No offense, but it looks like one of those tanks that they tried to pass off as German in the 60's-70's war movies!!

thx for the complement lol....
Here's a kool picture...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Had to do something with this over scaled ugly mess of a model from Tamiya ancient 70's. Still need's weathering...a few washes will darken the green... A captured M-36 the Germans are using at Normandy lol
I have an even uglier Academy M-36 which seem's to be the same molds...I'm gonna blow that one up....

PS- don't buy this kit.

buy this one instead

Actually, a movie tank makes more sense. The Tamiya kit includes the 1948-vintage gun update with the bore evacuator and blast deflector (the World War Two gun was a simple tube with a thread protector cap at the muzzle). One of these depicted a German Panther in the 1951 movie, "The Tanks Are Coming."
These versions were widely exported to our allies in Asia after World War Two, which is why Tamiya kitted it in the first place.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, a movie tank makes more sense. The Tamiya kit includes the 1948-vintage gun update with the bore evacuator and blast deflector (the World War Two gun was a simple tube with a thread protector cap at the muzzle). One of these depicted a German Panther in the 1951 movie, "The Tanks Are Coming."
These versions were widely exported to our allies in Asia after World War Two, which is why Tamiya kitted it in the first place.

They just added some sheets of metal to the turret. It was pretty convincing. The best was the jeep converted into a kubelwagen.

Academy also made this version in a new mold 1/35 scale kit. It was used with the evacuator in Indo China and Korea.

The M36 is also close to one of the junkyard versions of the comic GI Combat's "Haunted Tank"
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's one of the few things that I can think of where the increasing use of computer animation would have a clearly beneficial effect on movies -- being able to recreate the actual vehicles that were used, instead of substitutions like the Pattons used for Tiger IIs in The Battle of the Bulge. Sometimes the substitutions work reasonably well, like the T-34s converted into Tiger Is for The Battle of Neretva that were later used in Kelly's Heroes, but seeing the correct vehicles would improve the realism.

Unfortunately, since most people don't know what the tanks really looked like, producers will go for the cheaper solution and rent whatever's available. Still, we can hope as the cost of CGI comes down.
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 05:41 PM UTC
Doesn't look all that bad from the pic. I'm thinking you could have made this look a lot better with the TWS interior set. Hey don't be knocking the Academy M36, mine is crying over what you want to do with it's brother.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
Tamiya/Mokei made models back in the 70's for those that wanted to "use" their kits, more than just let them sit on the shelves and get dusty.

Either they were straight motorized or cable remote controlled, they were out of scale to accommodate the gearbox(s).

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP