Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tamiya Campaign
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 08:48 AM UTC
Hi gents,

Ah good ol Tamiya, my first 1/35th kit was a very early (motorised hull era) TigerII and the Tamiya catalogues fuelled a lot of my modelling enthusiasm while growing up.

And as it would happen I've got a 1/48th Pershing that has to be converted into a Super Pershing, for gaming not display so it'll be more of a representation than display piece unfortunately. It has to be finished/shipped before Easter so I might actually get something finished before a campaign ends for a change ....

cheers
Brent

stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC
I got all the zimmerit done and it looks good. Was really nervous. I primed and painted but i dont have pics uploaded yet. I will do that tonight.

Can't wait to see everyones progress.

- Steve
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 04:59 AM UTC
Stephen, nice job on the Tiger so far. looking forward to see it with some paint on.

Brent, Nice idea. I have had the same idea on Axis tanks for use in the Dust Tactics wargame. What game are you building the model for?

I have yet to decide what I will build. Obviously the stash is full of Tamiya kits, so a lot of choices.
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 02:37 PM UTC
Stephen, that zimmerit looks the biz!

Ernest
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC
To My Fellow Tamiya-philes,
I can finally get to work on this Campaign. My entry will be the Mk IV Male in 1/35. I have been itching to build a big, old rhomboid tank, so here it goes. Here is the 'open box' shot

After a pleasant couple of hours building, here is the first night's progress. I will not be motorizing the kit, thus the white plastic 'plugs'.

So far, the build has been quite fun. The parts fit like a glove. I always enjoy Tamiya kits, you know that the parts will fit properly and you will end up with a real nice model.

To the rest of the builders, keep going. I am seeing some very nice models emerging.

Stephen
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
The WWI tanks are just so cool looking. I did the male in 1/72.

One day i hope to do a tamiya motorized build as they look fun. Can wait to see your progress.

- Steve
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 07:21 PM UTC
i was doing some research and was wondering is the 3 color camo scheme for italy would have Hinterhalt-Tarnung (ambush camouflage)?

- Steve
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC
They should have done that MKIV tank in 1/16 with full RC options and fun sound effects. It would be worth the £500+ something like that would cost to make it lumber around scaring the pets
dhines
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 407 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi fellow modellers, is it too late to join??? I have a late Tamiya Panther with Aber etch I would like to do. Do you have to show proof of date start with phone???? Regards...Dale
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They should have done that MKIV tank in 1/16 with full RC options and fun sound effects. It would be worth the £500+ something like that would cost to make it lumber around scaring the pets

Yes, a 1/16 Mk IV would be very cool, motorized or not. I think I terrorize my cats enough without chasing them around with tanks....

Stephen
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:32 PM UTC
Got some work done. I used vallejo red brown surface primer. Then a dark yellow base. I for the camo it was the red brown primer again and german medium green.

porkchopwi
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
Here's the mid-stage of your token civilian build: 1/12 Tamiya NSR500 getting a visual modification from the 2000 bodywork to the 2001 bodywork -- and one-off paint scheme used at Mugello.

" TARGET="_blank">[url=https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/439051]
stephenmodel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC
Nice a motorcycle.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi fellow modellers, is it too late to join??? I have a late Tamiya Panther with Aber etch I would like to do. Do you have to show proof of date start with phone???? Regards...Dale

Hi Dale,

never to late to join. As far as I'm aware all campaigns can be joined up until their finish date, late joins just cut down on you finishing time is all.

As for phone/date proof, usually it's an honour system, campaigns that require proof of kit start will mention that in the campaign sign up blurb (and take things a bit seriously imo).

Hope this helps ....

cheers
Brent
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent, Nice idea. I have had the same idea on Axis tanks for use in the Dust Tactics wargame. What game are you building the model for?

Hey Jesper

The customer uses Bolt Action for WWII gaming.

And started the build today. About 4hrs work so even making the add-on armour the build should be about 8hrs, gotta love the build ability of these Tamita 1/48s ...

cheers
Brent

And the 20mm Pershings I'm basing their bigger brother on ..

greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hi Steve, I think the camo scheme for your Tiger look just fine and is certainly accurate for I Tiger serving in Italy anytime after very late 1942 or very early 1943. The ambush camo scheme, also known as "Licht und Schatten", literally "Light and Shadow" was a scheme that saw use from the late summer of 1944, and in a few cases, right up to the end of the war. On of the neat things about camo schemes on German armor is that though there were regulations specifying how the camo was to be applied, in the field units often departed from the regs due to either local conditions or applied a scheme based on what paint happened to be on hand at the time. This gives the modeler a large range to work with and still come up with a historically accurate - or at the very least plausible - camo scheme.

Ernest

Quoted Text

i was doing some research and was wondering is the 3 color camo scheme for italy would have Hinterhalt-Tarnung (ambush camouflage)?

- Steve

greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 02:27 PM UTC
That Mark IV Male WWI tank looks like it will be a fun build Steven.

Nate: I like the motorcycle! In addition to it looking like a high quality build, it provides an interesting and lively contrast to the military hardware.

Brent, nice start on the M48 builds. That must be a big gaming area those tanks will be used for!
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:07 PM UTC
I haven't had any photo worthy shots until yesterday, mostly a lot of boring general construction and clean up. However; I have now finished the general painting of the Zero. I first pre-shaded the surface with Tamiya NATO Black and then sprayed 4-5 light coats to cover the shading. I wanted to give the finish some depth prior to fading the paint at a later weathering step. If anyone is interested, I am doing a build log on Aeroscale where I talk a bit about the technique(s) I use for building and painting.

Pre-shading Complete

Base Painting Complete. Though not the best photo, one can see a bit of the effect of the pre-shading.

The lighting is too harsh, but you can see how the pre-shading brings out the rivets.

More a bit later!
Ernest
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:20 PM UTC
Brent, Nice progress. Tamiya should have a text on the side of the box: "add glue, shake box, wait 30 mins, take out finished model for painting"

Stephen, nice start. I have the Takom mark V male in the stash. Looks like a very detailed kit with complete interior of engine. Does the Tamiya kit come with a full interior?

Ernest, great pre shading. I always end up covering they're shading completely.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all
This is the kit I will be building for this campaign.

Everyone's builds look great, keep up the good work.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you sure? I also using BA for WW2 gaming as well and they're doesn't seem to be any rules avalible for the Super Pershing in the system.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Are you sure? I also using BA for WW2 gaming as well and they're doesn't seem to be any rules avalible for the Super Pershing in the system.

Yup, all his WW2 gaming is Bolt Action and Moderns uses Force on Force. He want the Super Pershing for a game tourney at Easter where he'll be using it as a proxy for a Ss n Giggles effect. He has some house rules - points etc for his own use though.

cheers
Brent

cheers
Brent
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi fellas,

I started in my entry tonight. 1/48th Tiger 1 Early.

Cheers,
Dustin
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 07:32 PM UTC
To One and All,
Some progress on the Mk IV over the weekend. First some answers to comments -

Ernest - Yes, this is turning out to be a very fun build. Perfect fit, clear instructions, no putty needed, I mean, what is there to not like? BTW, really nice progress on the Zero.

Jesper- There is no interior in the Tamiya Mk IV, but it has excellent surface detail and the unless you leave a side off for a cutaway, you wouldn't see much anyway.

Now for the progress, I forced myself to sit down and crank out the wheels. 54 of them for a total of 156 parts. It wasn't too bad and took about an hour and a half.

Once the wheels dried, I attached them to the hull and then attached the side panels. Once again, typical Tamiya engineering - nice fit of the sides with no seams.

Now that the suspension is mainly completed, just the idler and sprocket left, time to work on the sponsons and the roof details. It is moving along nicely.

Thanks,
Stephen
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 01:14 PM UTC
Don: Very neat subject for a build! I will follow with interest.

Stephen: Great progress on the Mark IV, that is a lot of road wheels!

I have made some progress on the Zero build. Not a lot picture worthy, but the base color is complete. The pre-shading resulted in a very subtle, and pleasing, to my eye at least, depth effect. It makes the monotone color base color have slight variations in shade. Most of the rivets and panel lines also turned out to be slightly highlighted which was the effect I was after. Unfortunately, the photos I took at the bench do not show these effects very well due to the lighting; when the build is complete I will setup my photo tent with the correct lighting and take some shots.

Engine Installed

Side shot of the installed engine.

Cowl in place

Overall shot, note the elevators, ailerons, and rudder are a different shade as is correct for fabric surfaces on the Zero.

Close up of the port wing.