_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpy BMP-1
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC
Got the SP Designs AT-5 mounted on the turret, added the lens for the gunner's spotlight and a few more bits. The wooden unditching log is just temporarily fixed in place, still need to scratch build the tie-downs. Making some progress!

GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:35 AM UTC
Looks very good!

The only thing missing is a TOW turning it inside out!

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks very good!

TOW would be a waste...M791 will do the job just fine.

Very nice build.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks very good!

TOW would be a waste...M791 will do the job just fine.

Very nice build.

Nah, overkill would be one of Gino's copperheads. A TOW on the other hand makes a nice little fireworks show.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
Aww... you guys are mean, beating up on my good ole BMP.

Gotta keep in mind that when this was fielded in the mid-70's, the average US grunt was riding around in an M113. If you had to go into combat as mech puke, would you rather ride in a BMP-1, which at least offers you NBC protection, basic night fighting gear and the ability to fight back (including anti-tank), or an aluminum box with nothing more than an exposed TC with a .50 to protect you?

As far as taking out a BMP-1, we were told that a .50 close-in would penetrate the front hull / turret, the same weapon would penetrate the sides and rear from any range. Same with a 40mm rifle grenade. Only other options available to old school grunts were LAW's and AT-4's.

elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aww... you guys are mean, beating up on my good ole BMP.

Gotta keep in mind that when this was fielded in the mid-70's, the average US grunt was riding around in an M113. If you had to go into combat as mech puke, would you rather ride in a BMP-1, which at least offers you NBC protection, basic night fighting gear and the ability to fight back (including anti-tank), or an aluminum box with nothing more than an exposed TC with a .50 to protect you?

As far as taking out a BMP-1, we were told that a .50 close-in would penetrate the front hull / turret, the same weapon would penetrate the sides and rear from any range. Same with a 40mm rifle grenade. Only other options available to old school grunts were LAW's and AT-4's.

We was told that it would take 15-20 rounds of M791 to "kill" a BMP, during Desert Storm it took me about 10 rds to get one to burn. After the cease-fire I shot a abandoned BMP with a AT-4, the results were impressive. Thankfully I never had to ride to battle in a BMP, its a freaking death trap.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
I heard there were Marine snipers taking them out with two shots. One would rupture the fuel tanks and an incendiary round to light it up. Don't know if it's true or not.

I did see a TOW missile turn one inside out like I mentioned earlier. It was a night engagement. Spectacular results.
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard there were Marine snipers taking them out with two shots. One would rupture the fuel tanks and an incendiary round to light it up. Don't know if it's true or not.

I did see a TOW missile turn one inside out like I mentioned earlier. It was a night engagement. Spectacular results.

TOW II was awesome, I will never forget the sight of T-72 turrets flipping after getting hit with one.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TOW II was awesome, I will never forget the sight of T-72 turrets flipping after getting hit with one.

Saw that a couple times too. Saw a ZSU 23-4 try to take on an Abrams once too. It didn't fair too well.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:35 AM UTC
Any APC is a potential death trap. That is why they always say a better APC just packs more grunts in to kill in a nice neat package.
elevenbravo87
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Saw that a couple times too. Saw a ZSU 23-4 try to take on an Abrams once too. It didn't fair too well.

LOL, I bet!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We had a DS Vet in my unit who saw that too. Said it went like this:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....WAP!

The ZSU chewed up the optics and exterior bits pretty good, until the M1 eviscerated it.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 02:17 AM UTC
Touched up the weathering, added the unditching log, straps and some nuts/bolts and completed the shield around the exhaust using some scrap PE (in my opinion, this part should have been included in the kit). Here are a few updated pics. Think this one is nearly finished.

jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC
Your BMP-1 looks great to me.Also I enjoyed all of the stories shared by veterans about encounters with them in during the Gulf War.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
Nice build and ditto on the stories.
GulfWarrior
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC
Top notch job! Very nicely done!

Thanks for indulging us old guys in our stories. It's hard to believe that 26 years ago this week I was about to turn 21 in the middle of the greatest land combat operation since the Vietnam War.

Ah, to be young again!
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Top notch job! Very nicely done!

Thanks for indulging us old guys in our stories. It's hard to believe that 26 years ago this week I was about to turn 21 in the middle of the greatest land combat operation since the Vietnam War.

No worries at all gents! I think having background info like what you provided makes for much better build log than just "I cut off part E24 and painted it dark green".

FWIW, 26 years ago this week, I was a pissed off E-4 who came to the realization I was going to be watching the greatest land combat operation since WW2 probably from a couch, safely in the US.

Thanks for your service over there!

_GOTOTOP