_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Save the Sherman
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:26 PM UTC
Welcome!

I wanted to ask for your feedback on my very first tank model, actually its my first model at all so please be gentle
It's an old italieri kit from the world of tanks franchise( gift) with some Tamiya accessories,
The title says 'Save the Sherman' cause I obviously over-weathered my tank, and Im here to ask your advice on what can I do to blend it all toghether. I wanted it to look dirty and so on but as a new modeler I went a little too far. Unless you think otherwise ? I also failed to use rust properly as you can barely notice it ( perhaps thats a good thing ). I was thinking maybe some bullet holes ? Artillery marks ? Tank riders? Any feedback appreciated!

Feel free to critise so I will know better next time

matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
Is it really that bad ?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC
That is very ambitious for a first effort. I'll let others suggest improvements as I'm relatively new at the detailing & weathering myself. I would suggest starting something else. I noticed that I get better with each build.
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is very ambitious for a first effort. I'll let others suggest improvements as I'm relatively new at the detailing & weathering myself. I would suggest starting something else. I noticed that I get better with each build.

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I already started a Tiger hybrid from italieri and a small diorama but I plan to make a large diorama and put the sherman there so I have to fix it
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:32 AM UTC
for me dont look so bad for a beginner,the loads need some cleanup before painting and looks like you dont thin enough the pait,better 2-3 thin coat then 1 thick,also is to satin/gloss maybe need a matt coat...Which pait you use?..Enamel,Acrilycs and which brand?..AB,can or brush?...remember to shake or stir very well the pait

A classic mistake for beginner is start with big progect,diorama with 2-3 tank,figurine etc... go slowly mate!..dont run!...Becose you already start a Tiger the best way is put th sherman on standby for a moment open a topic on the forum and start a Step by step,with the help of the forum in every step you do you can learn fast and avoid some mistake,after finish the Tiger you have the skill to fix the sherman...
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

for me dont look so bad for a beginner,the loads need some cleanup before painting and looks like you dont thin enough the pait,better 2-3 thin coat then 1 thick,also is to satin/gloss maybe need a matt coat...Which pait you use?..Enamel,Acrilycs and which brand?..AB,can or brush?...remember to shake or stir very well the pait

You got me here, my paint was too thick in the beggining, I know better now! I agree that it looks a bit glossy, espiecially the side of the hull? Can I just apply some matt on it ? I used valejjo acrylics with a brush, might try to use the can next time for first coat.

Quoted Text

A classic mistake for beginner is start with big progect,diorama with 2-3 tank,figurine etc... go slowly mate!..dont run!...Becose you already start a Tiger the best way is put th sherman on standby for a moment open a topic on the forum and start a Step by step,with the help of the forum in every step you do you can learn fast and avoid some mistake,after finish the Tiger you have the skill to fix the sherman...

Again, 100% this Although I wanted to make at least a smaill diorama I better focus on my painting and general modeling skills and dont waste my time with dioramas for now

Thanks for your feedback!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
Work with brush in fine if you thin enough the paint and you shake very well the bottle,you can spray a Matt cote on it at the end,in this case is better a can then a brush for me...just little bit more than a mist non half can!...

You can do diorama but start with somethig small

With acrilycs is good start with a Primer,i like the Tamiya gray in can but you have a extensive choice even the hardware shop primer can be not bad, help the paint to grip better on the model
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Work with brush in fine if you thin enough the paint and you shake very well the bottle,you can spray a Matt cote on it at the end,in this case is better a can then a brush for me...just little bit more than a mist non half can!...

You can do diorama but start with somethig small

With acrilycs is good start with a Primer,i like the Tamiya gray in can but you have a extensive choice even the hardware shop primer can be not bad, help the paint to grip better on the model

Ok Ill check it out, thanks a lot for your advice!
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi Mateuz,
Firstly welcome to armorama & much more importantly welcome to modelling!!
Always remember that no matter what got you interested in modelling wether it was fun or for history or both that it is a hobby meant to being you pleasure!!
The frustration will evole along with your skills lol
All of us always dream big on what ever our latest project is so you are no exception!! I would suggest that you concentrate on the following
A) work out a plan & an end goal for each model
B) concentrate on getting the basics right first, with construction & the like
C) primer helps as some of the other guys, have already mentioned & do lots of thin coats instead of thick coats,3,4,5 thin costs are much better than a couple of thicker ones.
D) if u you future floor polish before adding the decals will help them "sit" better & a setting solution will help hide the decal film.
E) Then you can try washes etc & then flat cote.
Always remember to have fun & first & foremost model for yourself & your happiness.
All the best
Mike
horseman
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 02:30 PM UTC
Really great first kick at the hobby! It's a lot better than my first attempt that's for sure.

One of my biggest recommendations is if you can afford it, get some of the hobby magazines (Fine Scale Modeller as an example) that are focused on skill building, and here at Armorama look at some of the build logs.

With your next project, take your time. Your build and paint skills will develop with each new project you take on.
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mateuz,
Firstly welcome to armorama & much more importantly welcome to modelling!!
Always remember that no matter what got you interested in modelling wether it was fun or for history or both that it is a hobby meant to being you pleasure!!
The frustration will evole along with your skills lol
All of us always dream big on what ever our latest project is so you are no exception!! I would suggest that you concentrate on the following
A) work out a plan & an end goal for each model
B) concentrate on getting the basics right first, with construction & the like
C) primer helps as some of the other guys, have already mentioned & do lots of thin coats instead of thick coats,3,4,5 thin costs are much better than a couple of thicker ones.
D) if u you future floor polish before adding the decals will help them "sit" better & a setting solution will help hide the decal film.
E) Then you can try washes etc & then flat cote.
Always remember to have fun & first & foremost model for yourself & your happiness.
All the best
Mike

Hi Mike and thank you for your kind welcoming! Thanks for listing up the steps, I understand that those are only the essentials and I have to work it out with more research, but Ill make sure to follow your advice!
About the frustration, believe me, looking at you guys AMAZING work on armorama, its inspiring but a bit depressing as well Not cryin here, I know I can get better!

Quoted Text

Really great first kick at the hobby! It's a lot better than my first attempt that's for sure.

One of my biggest recommendations is if you can afford it, get some of the hobby magazines (Fine Scale Modeller as an example) that are focused on skill building, and here at Armorama look at some of the build logs.

With your next project, take your time. Your build and paint skills will develop with each new project you take on.

Thanks a lot! I was thinking Modeller magazines were a bit of a waste since I still need to buy paints and gear etc but Ill give it a go. Are those that include sample models any good or should I go for the thick good cover like ones ? Uk and US magz are pretty expensive here in Poland unfortunately.
Im following your advice and startin a build log with my new adventure: Sd.Kfz. 181. Pz.Kpfw VI Tiger I " Hybrid " from Italieri - looks much more interesting and complicated than the Sherman kit and I hope to build it solid and paint&weather with a lot of patience and of course, your kind help!

Im still going to practice a bit with the stuff that I already made for the diorama so Ill entertain you with that when im finished!

BTW, is there any parts of the Sherman that somebody would say its done properly ? Some of the wash,thinner,paint etc combinations or usage are hard for me to understand and very often I cant see any difference.
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:42 PM UTC
You asked if anything was "right" on the Sherman. For a first time you did very well. One of the things I really enjoy is doing the research on the vehicle I will be modeling. As your skills improve you will begin to ask yourself "How is this attached? of Why is this here?" I can't tell from your pics but the tarps on the side come to mind. Step back and look and ask yourself those questions.

Go buy yourself a set of needle files and take care of as many seams as you can on the next one. I seem to spend more time cleaning up seams than actually building but it makes a noticeable difference. If you don't have an airbrush you can lightly brush on Future or Johnson's clear where you want to add the decals and them use a decal setting solution over them. There are numerous brands out there.

For a beginner, your weathering is quite good. Here again it takes practice. I've been doing it for 30 years and still don't have it down to my satisfaction. Everyone develops a style that suits them. I use a lot of oils for my weathering--mostly titanium white and raw umber but other colors as well. I mix the color I want into what is more or less a paste and add little dots to the kit then take a clean brush with thinner and try to streak it and stuff. I may end up putting 4-5 coats down before it starts to look like I want it to. Someone else can correct me but the oils seem to dry a little lighter than when put down so plan for that.

Pigments are a new thing for me but I have found that Mike Rinaldi's technique works well for me and is very easy. See if you can find his books in the Panzer Art series.

Biggest advice is be patient...it is a hobby. For me it is straight up stress relief.

Jeff
steve1
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi buddy,
A big welcome to the hobby, first off all ways remember it's for fun nothing else.
So first off one of the main things is research study pics of your chosen project this will help you in your build and maybe give you a few extra ideas,read build blogs of other builders and there techniques.
Study colours, little things like allied armour paint chipped less than German or Russian.
Conditions will dictate what type of weathering to do on your vehicle.
Look at real vehicles look at parts that show wear and tear and parts that don't.
These are just a few things to consider, I would concentrate on your vehicles before moving on to dioramas, and settle for a simple base until you improve your skills. Dioramas are a new ball game as are figures.
Hope these few points help and have fun.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC
Mateusz,

I know money is hard to spend all around the world so I understand we're you are coming from, I would go with your first idea & spend money on the basics, paints & tools etc.
Then maybe instead of buying magazine which for instance would cost maybe €80 for 4, you would be better of saving that bit extra & buying say a good quality set & as you are starting out I would recommend the new Adam Wilder books that cover everything & would not only show you how but give you things to aspire too.

Happy modelling
Mike
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC
As a fellow newbie to the hobby, I can say its honestly not bad for a first go. I can't really say what already hasn't been said.

In retrospect, my first kit was a tamiya sdkfz 222 which I botched the paint job so badly it looked like it got firebombed. After that, I learned to control pin washes and filters for my other builds. I even managed to fix it somewhat.

Still, practice makes perfect hurr-durr... I'll be trying kit-bashing in the near future.. the horror!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 03:31 PM UTC
I see few speak about "Future" before and after the decal,in europe and not only is not easy to find,you have to buy on the net but before you have to know what is Futture...

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

if you can not find it the new Humbrol Gloss Clear is basicly the same thing

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/coatings-thinners/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

If you dont want spend to much $$$ in magazine and books here you can find pretty cheap 2 books in PDF the Vol.3 and Vol.7 i find good expecialy for beginner,is written in Italian and English

https://www.bookrepublic.it/book/9788888711522-smm-7-painting-models-hundred-and-one-tips/?tl=1

https://www.bookrepublic.it/book/9788888711430-static-model-manual-3-painting-and-weathering-tanks/?cv=1

https://www.bookrepublic.it/books/publishers/auriga-publishing/

matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thank you all for your replies, didnt have the time to reply for past few days, sorry about that!

Quoted Text

You asked if anything was "right" on the Sherman. For a first time you did very well. One of the things I really enjoy is doing the research on the vehicle I will be modeling. As your skills improve you will begin to ask yourself "How is this attached? of Why is this here?" I can't tell from your pics but the tarps on the side come to mind. Step back and look and ask yourself those questions.

Go buy yourself a set of needle files and take care of as many seams as you can on the next one. I seem to spend more time cleaning up seams than actually building but it makes a noticeable difference. If you don't have an airbrush you can lightly brush on Future or Johnson's clear where you want to add the decals and them use a decal setting solution over them. There are numerous brands out there.

For a beginner, your weathering is quite good. Here again it takes practice. I've been doing it for 30 years and still don't have it down to my satisfaction. Everyone develops a style that suits them. I use a lot of oils for my weathering--mostly titanium white and raw umber but other colors as well. I mix the color I want into what is more or less a paste and add little dots to the kit then take a clean brush with thinner and try to streak it and stuff. I may end up putting 4-5 coats down before it starts to look like I want it to. Someone else can correct me but the oils seem to dry a little lighter than when put down so plan for that.

Pigments are a new thing for me but I have found that Mike Rinaldi's technique works well for me and is very easy. See if you can find his books in the Panzer Art series.

Biggest advice is be patient...it is a hobby. For me it is straight up stress relief.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff thats some really good advice! You're right, looks like its going to be one of my favourite parts aswell, to research the tank and history of it! Pitty I didnt think of it before I painted the Sherman Ill keep in mind that seams need to be taken care of and im going to have a closer look at decals next time! One question, how important is it to wash your model before assembling ? Im using acrylics.
To realize it is a hobby I needed to take a step back from armorama cause most of stuff here is pure art for me

Quoted Text

Hi buddy,
A big welcome to the hobby, first off all ways remember it's for fun nothing else.
So first off one of the main things is research study pics of your chosen project this will help you in your build and maybe give you a few extra ideas,read build blogs of other builders and there techniques.
Study colours, little things like allied armour paint chipped less than German or Russian.
Conditions will dictate what type of weathering to do on your vehicle.
Look at real vehicles look at parts that show wear and tear and parts that don't.
These are just a few things to consider, I would concentrate on your vehicles before moving on to dioramas, and settle for a simple base until you improve your skills. Dioramas are a new ball game as are figures.
Hope these few points help and have fun.

Thanks for your insights bud! I started watching a lot of hd colour documentaries from ww2, holywood stuff aswell, and going thru hundrends pics of tanks and military of that era, its so much fun and its very inspirational.
The diorama thing is more of a base I suppose, its made of a waiter tray, around 30cm, and I use it to practice whatever I need or can check out in a creative way.

Quoted Text

Mateusz,

I know money is hard to spend all around the world so I understand we're you are coming from, I would go with your first idea & spend money on the basics, paints & tools etc.
Then maybe instead of buying magazine which for instance would cost maybe €80 for 4, you would be better of saving that bit extra & buying say a good quality set & as you are starting out I would recommend the new Adam Wilder books that cover everything & would not only show you how but give you things to aspire too.

Happy modelling
Mike

Mike I found a outlet with few month late magazines so Ill be gettin some cheap soon! Figured I dont mind them to be few month old

Quoted Text

As a fellow newbie to the hobby, I can say its honestly not bad for a first go. I can't really say what already hasn't been said.

In retrospect, my first kit was a tamiya sdkfz 222 which I botched the paint job so badly it looked like it got firebombed. After that, I learned to control pin washes and filters for my other builds. I even managed to fix it somewhat.

Still, practice makes perfect hurr-durr... I'll be trying kit-bashing in the near future.. the horror!

Hi there fellow newbie! I hope my next tank will look much better, but most important that I will be in control of the painting& weathering process!

Quoted Text

I see few speak about "Future" before and after the decal,in europe and not only is not easy to find,you have to buy on the net but before you have to know what is Futture...

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

if you can not find it the new Humbrol Gloss Clear is basicly the same thing

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/coatings-thinners/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

If you dont want spend to much $$$ in magazine and books here you can find pretty cheap 2 books in PDF the Vol.3 and Vol.7 i find good expecialy for beginner,is written in Italian and English

https://www.bookrepublic.it/book/9788888711522-smm-7-painting-models-hundred-and-one-tips/?tl=1

https://www.bookrepublic.it/book/9788888711430-static-model-manual-3-painting-and-weathering-tanks/?cv=1

https://www.bookrepublic.it/books/publishers/auriga-publishing/

Thanks for the links! Ill check what works better around where I live I checked the pdf links but it only shows italian for me Anyway, I found a way to get cheaper modelling literature so maybe some of it will be interesting
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:25 AM UTC
Get on You Tube. There are a whole slew of modeling videos on there covering everything from the most basic, to the most advanced.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:01 AM UTC
the web site is italian but every book of the series "Static Model Manual" is write in both english and italian in the same book,here in the forum i think you find some review of Auriga Publishing books
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Get on You Tube. There are a whole slew of modeling videos on there covering everything from the most basic, to the most advanced.

Will do! Can you recommend any certain channels ?

Quoted Text

the web site is italian but every book of the series "Static Model Manual" is write in both english and italian in the same book,here in the forum i think you find some review of Auriga Publishing books

I get it, yeah, that is quite cheap but im hoping to get some hard cover ones first:) Thanks anyway!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC
It looks pretty good. I think one thing to add to it would be a clear flat coat to knock down some of that shine on there. Looks good for a first kit. I wish my builds looked that good when I first started out.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One question, how important is it to wash your model before assembling ? Im using acrylics.

It's not so important to wash the model before assembly. As you build it, you're going to cover it with skin oils and sanding dust anyway. It is VERY important to wash the model before painting.
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:16 AM UTC
I agree with Matt about washing after you are finished with the build. I usually go to the bathroom sink and fill it with water and a little dish detergent and let it sit overnight. I use both acrylics and enamels for base coats. Whatever I feel like when I start. Tamiyas are the only acrylics that my airbrush takes well but I don't like the shade of their OD anymore so use Model Masters more with aircraft interior black preshade then straight up OD.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Will do! Can you recommend any certain channels ?

No ,but if you just do basic searches like "model tank building" or "model tank weathering" you'll probably find what you need. Both searches turned up more videos than I'd ever have time to watch.
matoii321
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:40 PM UTC
Thanks for your help guys and for your kind words!

Flat coat helped loads with the shine, you can also see the base I made for it as a practise for my next projects!

Once again, thanks ARMORAMA for your help!
 _GOTOTOP