T55 Enigma
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:17 PM UTC
Gary,
first class work ! For flattening one side of the sprue do you simply scrape it down with your knife or use some other technique ?

Sean
highpoint
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:19 PM UTC
Gary, can I just say I hate you. The attention to detail you have is phenomenal. You must have about 10 kits waiting around for the spray booth in the new house. Can't wait for you to squirt some paint on the plethora of Shermans you have. Still think your Chilean M-51 was one of the best weathered kits I've seen in a long time.

Keep it up.
Jeff
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
fantastic build!!! that's just a ridiculous amount of skill.

one question - if the search light has an articulating arm to align it with the gun barrel, is there a reason the search light is facing flat forward instead of elevated with the barrel?
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:00 AM UTC
Thank you for the kind words gents

Sean - correct.

Jeff - still a while off before I can sort out an area for painting I'm afraid.

Vance - the light will only elevate up a certain degree otherwise pointing up into the air won't be of any benefit.

Rear blocks get the same treatment as the side ones...

Some sources feel these are counterweights rather than armour blocks and I tend to agree with taht theory.

Dry fitted in place....

Gary
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:51 AM UTC
I love this build. Looking forward to see this one with paint on one hand. On the other the multimedia appearance it has right now, has a beauty of its own.

Keep up the great work!
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 02:20 PM UTC
Thanks Michael.

Turret armour next. This needs a little work as the Tamiya set up, while okay, is lacking in a little detail.

The framework which mounts directly to the turret is partly integral whith the armour blocks in the Tamiya set up...

To create seperate frames, I removed the vertical parts of the frames (red arrows) from the rear of the blocks and constructed the frames as a stand alone assembly...

Gary
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
Gary-
I'm pretty sure I've said this before regarding your other builds, but it would almost be a shame to paint this one and cover up all this fabulous work.

gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thanks Russel

Framework is complete and mounted onto the turret. The rear section on the real thing is designed to lift up to allow access to the engine hatches....

Mounting brackets added to the inside face of the armour blocks - bolts yet to be added...

The blocks are all moulded together OOTB and are far too neat and uniform compared to the real thing so I split them up. I did try experimenting with a couple of ideas which didn't quite work out so had to turn to a little extra styrene sheet and Mr Surfacer to fix what went wrong Won't make the same mistakes on the other side

Blocks dry fitted onto the frame....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:55 PM UTC
Opposite side under construction - essentially the same process as before so armour blocks are dry fitted....

The forward block is hinged to allow driver access. Tamiya incorrectly provide this part as a solid block. It is, infact, hollow with 4 plates inside, giving a louvre effect. I replicated this with Evergreen styrene...

Gary

EDIT. Just noticed something very striking when I lined up this last block. It's too small. The leading edge of the base should essentially be the same width as the other blocks but Tamiya made it about 3.5mm too short. That means the block, as provided in the kit, is not really useable.
Fortunately, Voyager supply the turret armour in resin blocks so I can modify one of those to suit.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
You can clearly see the undersized Tamiya part compared with the Voyager resin block (which compares well in size with the real thing)...

On the other side....

I've been reliably informed (thanks Olivier!) that the cut away section on the Bovington exmaple was done to demonstrate how the block was constructed. So, Tamiya got that part right - unfortunately Voyager didn't (along with me!) so the white rectangle is filler. Also note the two square support tubes from the Voyager PE set with the locking bar constructed from brass tube and a brass nut.

The locking lever itself is constructed using scrap evergreen styrene, Meng bolt heads and heat stretched sprue with a tension spring made from .010 wire....

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 02:42 PM UTC
Counterbalance springs are made from .010 lead wire...

Gary
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 03:17 PM UTC
Excellent work Gary. When creating the styrene mounting brackets for the different bolted on armor, what sizes you making them and how are you making them? The front turret ones look different then the rear turret, while the rear and the hull side look similar.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks Ryan. The turret frame use the standard kit parts while the others are made using rectangular pieces of Evergreen styrene - sizes are mentioned earlier in the blog.

Aber's D-10T 100mm barrel....

Wel;d seam is made from Mr Surface and rest of extrator is given a thinned coat of the same to blend everything in...

Gary
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
[quote]The forward block is hinged to allow driver access. Tamiya incorrectly provide this part as a solid block. It is, infact, hollow with 4 plates inside, giving a louvre effect. I replicated this with Evergreen styrene...
[/quote}

I suspect you're copying the Bovington example, I believe this was cut out on purpose to show the composition of the interior. It wouldn't have been cut out in service, so Tamiya really didn't get it wrong.

Really great attention to detail, love the Polish engine deck mods. I had to do something similar for my T-55 Marksman.

Jim
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Jim

I did correct my original post..

Quoted Text

I've been reliably informed (thanks Olivier!) that the cut away section on the Bovington exmaple was done to demonstrate how the block was constructed. So, Tamiya got that part right - unfortunately Voyager didn't (along with me!) so the white rectangle is filler.

Gary
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 09:18 AM UTC
I think the build part can be called complete at this stage....

Just need to wait until I get my painting shed but in the meantime, some more images - http://www.plasticarmour.com/t55-enigma.html

Gary
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 11:02 AM UTC
Gary, awe inspiring work as usual. You have such a great attention to detail. Your workmanship is top notch too. I can't wait to see some paint on it.

Regards,

Eric
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 12:46 PM UTC
Gary,
Once again simply stunning work!! So much to see, so much to enjoy & lots to learn from.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP