Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya AMX-13
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:35 PM UTC
I got the new Tamiya AMX-13 French Light Tank in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to dive in. Step 1 begins with assembly of the lower hull. As usual you have to drill a few holes in one of the parts (B3).

The idler arms have a hole that fits over a pin on the hull to ensure correct alignment. If you want to re-position the arms for rough terrain just shave off the pin. This kit is designed so that the upper hull will be removable. It's held in place by two tabs at the front and a large poly cap at the rear. This, and a flashed-over rectangular hole in the lower hull (switch-sized), makes me think that a motorized version is in the works. The two tabs I mentioned (Parts A13) are added to the upper hull in Step 8, along with the post (Part C42) that fits into the poly cap in the lower hull.

The upper hull fits well without them and I found that it will be difficult to attach it with those tabs in place, so I would recommend not using them, and cementing the upper hull in place instead.

One thing that I liked is that like most newer kits, some of the sprue attachment points overlap a mating surface and the kit's instructions make sure to point them out for removal. Very thoughtful of the designers I think. Another thing that I like about this kit is that there are only five road wheels, two return rollers, and the idler and drive sprocket on each side. Many, many, many, less than on my last three builds. Yippee! More to follow. Al
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:20 AM UTC
What are those hexagonal shapes on the hull supposed to be for?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC
Just got one yesterday,will follow with interest
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are those hexagonal shapes on the hull supposed to be for?

Dunno for sure, to me they look like holders for a couple of nuts, might have some thing to do with the motorized version that I suspect is on the way. You can make out the flashed over rectangular area that I mentioned, between the rearmost hexagon and where the hull bottom angles upward. There is a flashed over hole in the center of each of those hexagons. I'll be epoxying a nut in one after cleaning out the hole so I can run a screw up through the base that I eventually plan on mounting the tank to. Al
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:46 AM UTC
Looks like a great kit. I've already found a review on YouTube. Except for the rubber band tracks, which some won't care for, the only real shortcoming seems to be a skimpy decal sheet. AMX-13s have seen service in many wars so aftermarket decal companies might be able to capitalize.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
Couldn't stop working on the little beast. Test fit of the upper and lower hulls.

You can see that the fit is excellent, especially on the upper front. In the photo of the back end, you'll notice two small brackets protruding from the fenders. They can be broken easily if you're not careful separating the top from the bottom. Another reason to just cement them together. I skipped around a bit and assembled the large and small tool boxes on the fenders.

Also added the upper half of the intake fan to the underside of the upper hull. The fan is two pieces, I think it will be easier painting the bottom half separately before joining them together. The only piece of PE in the kit is the grill that goes on top of the fan. Then it was on to the turret (couldn't resist). The lower turret.

It has two poly caps that will have pins inserted into them to join the upper and lower turrets together. The upper turret will elevate unless you choose to add the included dust cover. The upper turret.

The barrel is one piece and nary a mold line to be seen. The muzzle brake is two halves, left and right.
The turret temporarily fitted together.

The ammo loading doors attached. The only flash that I've seen so far was on the handle of one door.

There is a small fitting between the doors, and aft of the ventilator, that has to be removed. It's already gone in the photo. Another version in the works perhaps? Wouldn't it be neat if some after-market firm came out with the auto-loaders, and maybe the rest of the turret interior. Thanks for looking. Al
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Could they really make a motorised version of this kit? The AMX-13 is a lot smaller than the last 1/35 kits they converted to motorized.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could they really make a motorised version of this kit? The AMX-13 is a lot smaller than the last 1/35 kits they converted to motorized.

Anything's possible, I've seen some pretty small RC cars, Quad 'copters, and even tanks. It just seems to me the way this kit was designed they kept their options open. Al
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:50 AM UTC
All in all, it looks really nice. It's just a shame Tamiya only give you the ventilator grill as a PE part. They could have added the 4 rectangular grilles as well.

Could you please show a picture of the towing hook?

Olivier
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:41 PM UTC
the nut retainers on the hull floor are I believe for securing the model to a base. I have one of their models were long bolts and nuts are supplied and shown for that purpose.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All in all, it looks really nice. It's just a shame Tamiya only give you the ventilator grill as a PE part. They could have added the 4 rectangular grilles as well.

Could you please show a picture of the towing hook?

Olivier

Sure can.

Best shot I could get, Olivier. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the nut retainers on the hull floor are I believe for securing the model to a base. I have one of their models were long bolts and nuts are supplied and shown for that purpose.

Makes sense Darren, that's what I plan on using one of them for. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:46 PM UTC
Some more work done late last night. Box with intercom added to right fender.

Siren and its guard, as well what looks like a filler cap with its guard, added to front fenders.

The smoke dischargers.

You have to drill 4 holes in the lower turret from the inside during Step 17 to mount them in Step 20. I had to finesse the upper holes a bit to allow the parts (A24) to fit, because of the angle of their locating pins. Some more work was done to the upper turret also.

Anyone know what that bottle-like object on the turret rear is? Fire extinguisher? The most harrowing part of the build so far, was cleaning up the sprue attachment points on the 'luggage rack' on the roof (Part C4). It is very delicate and hard to hold and I was sure that I would break it. Thank the modeling gods, my luck held. Al
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
Now the question is who's is better, Tamiya or Tacom? Also where did you folks get it.

Tom
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure can.

Best shot I could get, Olivier. Al

Thanks a lot Al. That's what I needed. This is the late model. I'm not sure this is correct for the type depicted by the kit but will be hardly seen at the end!

To answer your question, the bottle is the NBC decontamination liquid bottle. It was introduced with the 90mm gun turret. So you can remove it.

On the front fenders, left side you have a round mirror and its guard, right side you have a horn (siren).

If you have time, have a look at the walkarounds I posted in my site (click my banner).

Keep on the good job
Olivier
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now the question is who's is better, Tamiya or Tacom? Also where did you folks get it.

Tom

I got mine at the Mosquitocon Show saturday,both kits were in abundance.Not sure how they compare,would think that Tha Takom would be more detailed.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
have a look at the walkarounds I posted in my site (click my banner). [quoted]

Thanks Olivier, I'll be sure to check them out.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC
On the front fenders, left side you have a round mirror and its guard, right side you have a horn (siren).[quoted]

Does the mirror fold down? The way the part is molded could be why I thought it could be some sort of filler, the 'pipe' did look too narrow for the 'cap' to me. Al
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Yes the mirror folds backwards and is secured by a wingnut.
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Al, you're making good progress. Should be a neat build. I'll be following along for sure. Any hint as to your final markings and finish?
Terry
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aha! That explains it. Can't beat a clear photo. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al, you're making good progress. Should be a neat build. I'll be following along for sure. Any hint as to your final markings and finish?
Terry

Haven't given it much thought yet, probably just out of the box for this one. Al
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom

Comparing it to the Takom 13/90 I reviewed and built I would have to say the Takom has a tad more detail to it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product Al!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that rusted parts or dead leaves under the folded mirror?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that rusted parts or dead leaves under the folded mirror?

Yes there are leaves and moss.
Olivier
 _GOTOTOP