_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon loses the last of its pricing sanity
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
http://dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DRA6027

$64.99 for a unchanged re-issue of their ancient Panther II kit? 65 [auto-censored]ing dollars for a re-issue of their ancient Panther II? Is this supposed to be a joke?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:34 AM UTC
At least they didn't make it $100!! But seriously, their less than stellar kits coupled with less (or no) PE, and higher prices, and a whole slew of better plastic companies make you wonder just what Dragon is thinking!
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:37 AM UTC
Dragon doesn't think. It knows that there are schmucks who will gladly shell out that kind of dough for it.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC
Okay Dragon any mold you cut before the turn of the 21st Century should be sold for 20th Century prices!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:14 AM UTC
or scrap metal!!!
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:07 AM UTC
That's ridiculous for a 1990's era Dragon kit! I hate paying that much for new kits, but no way I'm dishing out that kind of cash for a 20+ year old kit!! Dragon is letting us down these days.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:23 AM UTC
Dragon isn't letting anyone down. Ultimately, it's your choice as to whether or not you buy it. Since you know the kit is pretty much crap, don't sweat it. Somebody else will contribute to DML's quarterly sales goals.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
This is not as much Dragon, but the fact the American economy is doing better, and increasing costs of distribution. The kit in Asia will be available at a much better price.

Blame Obama, he fixed the American economy and seems everyone still blames him.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:06 AM UTC
Don't see what the issue is here either. If you don't want to pay that much for it, don't buy it. Why are you getting so upset about it?
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:10 AM UTC
Why worry, pick it up on E-bay for the $25 its worth.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't see what the issue is here either. If you don't want to pay that much for it, don't buy it. Why are you getting so upset about it?

Agree
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:22 AM UTC
Yeah, looks like someone is buying them. Look at the "Others who bought this" section below the Panther mkII.

1/35 Sd. Kfz. 251/22 Ausf. D w/7.5 cm Pak 40

for $72.99!! Come on.

Off-topic: They should be making some more good/affordable kits aimed at kids. I'm 35, and I fell REALLY young at model shows. This is not a long-term business plan.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:30 AM UTC
I am glad my stash has a good quantity of Dragon kits already. I feel the pain of the rising cost of Dragon kits. (Note for those that do not have a photographic memory, I predicted the Rising costs of a Dragon kit years ago. They came out hot fast and cheap. Every one was happy and grumbled about Tamiya's costs. I said they would eventually match Tamiya kit prices, and they have if not more.) I now look to Tacom, Meng, Xactscale and others for my future kits. I haven't given up on Dragon. If they make a kit I need at a reasonable price, OK. However, I have expanded my horizons. Note: You should also think of the cost of a Tamiya British Mark IV. Dragon is not alone in expensive kits.

Steve-off topic. I race slot cars and it is the same. 9 of 10 racers are over 50. Europe is different they have many younger racers but here in 10 years there probably won't be any more commercial tracks. Currently there is only about 100 commercial tracks left in the US.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC
Not that I have the cash for one but you guys with a big stash are lucky, most of Dragons range is dang hard to find with many of the better kits being OOP.

On this kit though, what other options are there for a Panther II? Kit bash with other kits plus AM parts, what does that cost out at?

cheers
Brent
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:38 AM UTC
Dragon have a couple of newer Panthe F kits that are light years ahead of this offering based on the quality of the newer kits I wouldn't even bother with this one regardless of the price.

Cheers Ben.
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:38 AM UTC
This and the Panther F is on my to buy list. I'm glad it's available. (Plus about 5-6 Tiger 1 kits that I want to snatch up.)

I guess I'm one of the "Morons" willing to pay for it.

Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On this kit though, what other options are there for a Panther II? Kit bash with other kits plus AM parts, what does that cost out at?

Except this kit isn't really an option for a Panther II even ignoring the insane price hike, being any early Dragon effort it has too many accuracy issues to build a actual Panther II without a lt of work.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:22 AM UTC
Well, thanks for the warning and heads-up Regardless. I'll never buy this kit at such price for sure.
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
They have made new versions of just about every part in there...I wish they'd update the thing.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon isn't letting anyone down. Ultimately, it's your choice as to whether or not you buy it. Since you know the kit is pretty much crap, don't sweat it. Somebody else will contribute to DML's quarterly sales goals.

I don't plan on buying it. They are letting us down in terms of subjects they are releasing and price. They are being surpassed by the likes of Meng and Takom to name a few. Time was Dragon were some of the best value kits on the market. No more. Just my opinion.
j76lr
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:33 PM UTC
exactly !!If you don't want it don't buy it !
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

exactly !!If you don't want it don't buy it !

That really isn't the point...the point is how is Dragon expecting to stay in business selling crappy and overpriced products? Their new releases (well the ones I'm mostly interested in) have gone downhill and their quality they've been known for/reputation since their Tiger 1 release about 10 years ago has done a 180 turn for the worse. Then charging insane pricing for items doesn't help. Sure would make an interesting business case.

From what I gather, a company has to sell about 5K models to break even on the molds...I've also heard some interesting comments about this, like companies saying they are going to release something, then waiting till they get the pre-orders in then releasing it only when that magic number is hit.

Some other rants I've seen here....I remember going to my first model shows about 25 years ago in my late teens...and not really seeing anyone that was my age at time...now I'm 41 and I still see same people or people now my age. I don't get hung up about age or young people making models anymore, what it boils down to is the US nor the EU is really driving the market anymore...its Asian market. That is part of the reason why we are seeing all these Cold war/modern era releases from new Chinese companies...Younger generations aren't really interested in WW2 anymore (it happened 70+ years ago...that is almost 3 generations ago...and their great grandparents fought in it) so more up to date subjects are going to get peoples attentions, even though the M1's design is almost 40 years old.

Also people who are younger either don't have the disposable income they have when they are older and more established, unless they are getting $$ from their parents...thus why you see older guys who have children who are doing other things since they are older (Sports etc) and allowing them to go out and go to shows.

Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Plastic models are a minor part of Dragon's business strategy. It has a lucrative licensing deal with Disney/Marvel Entertainment which dwarfs any revenues from the model kit side of the operation.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Plastic models are a minor part of Dragon's business strategy. It has a lucrative licensing deal with Disney/Marvel Entertainment which dwarfs any revenues from the model kit side of the operation.

But they only recently have gotten that licence.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DRA6027

$64.99 for a unchanged re-issue of their ancient Panther II kit? 65 [auto-censored]ing dollars for a re-issue of their ancient Panther II? Is this supposed to be a joke?

Try ebay- You won't have to pay DRAGON's unscrupulously outrageous prices for 20-year-old kits... A-HOLES!!!
 _GOTOTOP