_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
KV 7 from Trumpeter
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 445 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC
A new model I build in holliday:

I used some Eduard pe parts and Barrels from RB.
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Update:

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC
Bare metal looks good but why are the periscope covers and turret roof fan cover, which were part of the original vehicle, all a different colour? Surely the factory would paint the whole vehicle in one go, given that they are permanently attached to it?
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 08:14 AM UTC
They are not painted in different colour, I used colour Modulation for it.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
Did they finally get around to including the middle engine grilles in PE?
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:02 PM UTC
No. I used the Eduard parts for it.
KuKLiNsKi
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 02:53 AM UTC
why would front plates be unpainted like that?
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 08:14 AM UTC
Because they were added later, after the tank was painted.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:47 PM UTC
Why would they add those parts after painting the tank?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That doesn't make sense, just like the lighter colored vent covers and periscopes don't make sense.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:47 PM UTC
The plates on the front represent add on armor I presume. It's not that far fetched that a tank crew would add on armor plates from whatever steel was available. They may not have time to paint it to match the tank thus its appearance. A lot of modelers do the same thing with late war/paper panzer models, particularly on the turret roof and engine deck. Same type of scenario. Personally I like it and think it adds visual appeal to a monotone paint job. As for color modulation, that's a current trend that's popular and many modelers use it. I've even tried it, but I haven't liked the results I've gotten.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
Those plates are the structural plates that make up the front of the superstructure. If he wanted add-on armor, it would be added over these existing plates, which he has not done.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:13 PM UTC
Don't know then. Maybe they were in a hurry to get the tank onto the front lines and forgot to paint that part of the tank. Or maybe the factory ran out of paint!!
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
Not everything made sence in modelling. If you donīt like it, then you donīt like it. I build and paint it for my personal pleasure and want some of the plates in the steel optic. The plates look to me like they were added as extra Amour, so I painted it in that way. Like a test vehicle.
Itīs the same with the colour modulation. Some like it, others not. Thatīs ok for me.
Removed by original poster on 07/27/16 - 18:33:30 (GMT).
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those plates are the structural plates that make up the front of the superstructure. If he wanted add-on armor, it would be added over these existing plates, which he has not done.

Dear Gino,

from a historical point of view you may be right. I myself do follow your motivation.
However: tmho there is such a thing as 'modeling reality'. This is the 'reality' created by modelers who want to have fun at the first place and show their skills at the second place.
I do see vehicles, which are technically superb painted but don't represent any reality. Modern tanks, completely chipped and rusty (any commander would get running mad seeing his material that way) or WW2 vehicles that worn off that they must have been in the field for a decade.
I suggest to take models as they are shown by their owners. If they are happy and don't ask for advice, just leave it as it is.
But, I know, that is easy said than done.

Cheers,

P.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:48 AM UTC
Tobias,
I think you did a fine job building and painting it! I like it. Keep up the good work!!
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
looks good to me; cool subject matter; I like the unusual stuff (we have more Tigers, Panthers, T-34s, Shermans, etc. than we need); we modelers generally like accuracy but mixing things up a little is cool (at least IMHO); have fun with it; I might have to look for this kit;
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC

@Tobias thanks for explaining.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That doesn't make sense, just like the lighter colored vent covers and periscopes don't make sense.

Well actually the lighter coloured vents and periscopes do make sense, I'm quite sure they're supposed to be representing the scale reduction affected colour of parts in direct overhead sunlight.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well actually the lighter coloured vents and periscopes do make sense, I'm quite sure they're supposed to be representing the scale reduction affected colour of parts in direct overhead sunlight.

Still doesn't work for me. Show me an actual tank that is in-service (not one sitting outside a museum for years neglected) that looks like that? I bet you can't.

To all the "atta boy" seakers who are offended that constructive criticism is given, don't post your builds online if you don't want to receive comments, good and bad.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Tobias thanks for explaining.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

????

Would the fading effect be different for vents and lens protectors compared to the hull if it is all sprayed in the same color and exposed in the same way as the part they are bolted/ welded on?

Come on, let's be honest. It is 'just' the way Tobias has interpreted it.

Gino has right that quite some models are overdone in their paint work. But as long as the owner/modeler feels happy with it, who are we to complain?
If someone wants to show how good he/she is in special painting techniques, fine!
As stated before, I have seen quite some models whereby I think that in real life loading/wear and tear/positions of crew never would happen since it would severly hamper the functioning of the weapon, make a unit commander take immediate actions or lead to loss of equipment even after a 25 meters drive.
Luckily, we can do what ever we like with our models. It is a hobby, isn't it?!

Happy modeling to you all,

P.
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 09:49 PM UTC
Now Iīm a little confused. Itīs called constructive feedback, but I donīt read any constructive feedback, only what was done wrong or isnīt like. But thatīs maybe my fault, because my english is very bad, so maybe I donīt get the point.
I personally donīt like the old style with one colour, a wash over everthing and then drybrushing to the death. So I use the cm way, because I like it. And I (like others on other Forums or facebook) like the steel plates. I saw this kit and I wanted to paint it in that way. So I did it. And yes, itīs not realistic.
If anyone donīt like this tank, he is free to post his opinion here everytime. Thatīs totally ok for me.
I try to getting better with every model I build and try to learn from the other modelers online.
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:07 PM UTC
Getting dirty:

Panzermeister36
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
I think it looks beautiful! The modulation, weathering, and the added-on metal plates look exquisite.

And I don't think that was "constructive criticism" you were getting, personally. I like the colour modulation technique a lot as well.
Tobias5555
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 07:33 PM UTC
Thank you
 _GOTOTOP