_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Tamiya: January 2017 Releases
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:50 AM UTC

From Tamiya’s New Year’s list we saw a couple of WW II German military subjects – the 6-rad and the Kettenkraftrad.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 08:16 AM UTC
Yawn, nothin' new here. Tamiya needs some imagination pills and quick. I'll pass on these re-hashed kits.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 11:30 AM UTC
I wonder... when Tamiya reissued the Tasca M4A3E8 it sold so well they tooled their own. Maybe if this sells well enough they'll see the need for a new tool.

At least for the kettenkrad. That build up image is the same one from their 1973 catalog flier.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:08 PM UTC
Tamiya always manages to surprise. No doubt they have better things on the works!
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:22 PM UTC
When it comes to military kits they have been lacking thats for sure. I wonder if they need to legalize marijuana in japan to help their creative side. Just a throught.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
This seems to be a rebox,but Tamiya has been has been very good with brand new releases.

Easy 8
M-40
SU-76
AMX-13
ISHERMAN
Mark IV Male
Somua
BT-7
New Jagdpanzer IV
New Elefant
New Panther
New Jagdtiger
New ISU-52
New JS-2
Gamma Goat
Nashorn
Tusk

Not to mention the new 1/48 Tomcat

So what are we talking about,they have put out some nice and diverse stuff.

Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
From plastic to pot......Hmmmmmmmmm....that's quite a stretch. They'd probably have some creative meetings.....but the catering bill would be astronomical?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
Valentine is coming. That's all new tooling.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC
Tamiya always delivers an enjoyable build, nice to have a stress-free one every now and then...
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:25 AM UTC
Tamiya do not appear to have added the missing engine vents on the lower front of the hull sides of Italeri's kit. This area is heavily shadowed in photos, and early scale drawings simply missed them, but factory photos published in Allied-Axis clearly show them. There were different patterns, depending on which truck chassis was used (the SdKfz 231 and 232 were built on three slightly different commercial chassis).

The Kettenkrad is a reissue of their 1974 vintage kit. The figures are also forty years old.
thomas1954
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 03:53 AM UTC
But the prices won't be 40 years old. Just sayin.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC
This looks like the Italeri kit with a metal barrel and a so-so figure, but that original kit is getting hard to find, so maybe this is good (except Tamiya means it will cost $$$$$).
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 06:16 AM UTC
Everyone is $$$ now a days and a few are $$$$.
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:32 AM UTC
Well...we all keep asking for better and better details, and MORE quality...and THAT gentlemen does NOT come cheap...!

Just sayin...
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Valentine is coming. That's all new tooling.

News to me, thanks. Will pick one up if its the right version.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 879 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC
Nooooooooo
I saw 2017 Kettenkrad 1/35 and thought OMG yes!!!!
Can it really be the old one.........that cut me deep, real deep ( as Donkey would say)
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 08:41 PM UTC
Bilbobee said
Quoted Text

When it comes to military kits they have been lacking thats for sure. I wonder if they need to legalize marijuana in japan to help their creative side. Just a throught.

and Ironmike said
Quoted Text

Yawn, nothin' new here. Tamiya needs some imagination pills and quick. I'll pass on these re-hashed kits.

OK. These two (Sdkfz 231 and Kettenrad) aren't stellar. But did you praise Tamiya when these were released/announced?

M10 Tank Destroyer
M4A3 Easy 8 Sherman
M51 Sherman IDF
M40
SU-76
AMX-13
M50 Sherman IDF
Mark IV Male
Somua S35
BT-7
BT-42 Finnish assault gun
New Jagdpanzer IV
New Elefant
New Panther ausf D
New Jagdtiger
New ISU-52
New JS-2
Gama Goat
New Nashorn
Tusk M1A2
Type 10 JGSDF tank
Valentine (upcoming)

And most of these were stellar, top of the line, almost shake and bake sorts of kits. Tamiya can compare their releases over the last 3 years with any company's output and feel proud.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:16 AM UTC
I'm not happy that a great firm like Tamiya is reissuing Italeri kits that we used to make fun of while sweating the details and super detailing away their short-comings. A few additives don't a kit improve...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 06:58 AM UTC
And, oh ya, if that is the same Tamiya Kettenkrad that they issued in the mid-1970s they should be embarrassed! Time and molding technology have come a long way since those days and simply re-releasing these doesn't do them any real good. Dragon makes a few nice Kettenkrad variants that aren't older than my kids, at least. I will agree that Tamiya's kits farewell-engineered and relaxing to build, but really! Re-issuing old kits isn't an answer for most of us.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not happy that a great firm like Tamiya is reissuing Italeri kits that we used to make fun of while sweating the details and super detailing away their short-comings. A few additives don't a kit improve...

No, but they do offer a kit to their home market that is not available which is where the reboxing thing came about due to restrictive trade practices in Japan. The fact they do make some changes to these is quite welcome. As for the kettenkrad it is just part of their release rotation. They release new tool subjects as well as rotating their older subjects. They are also offering a rebox of the old Italeri Crusader which improves a few of its silly little errors which I for one think is an improvement over no new tool release and a harder to get subject.
The reboxes are aimed purely at the home market but they now export them as well. The more popular of the reboxes have been known to appear as new tool subjects from Tamiya in the past (hetzer, M4A3E8)
Al
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
Except this is to be an international release, not just for japan. I don't understand why Tamiya would go to the effort of bringing their Italeri reboxes to any area where the original boxing is easily avalible, for a lower price.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:41 AM UTC
Look guys, I'm a huge Tamiya fan. The little upgrades they give these kits are just enough to induce me to buy one of these repops. I just ordered the Tamiya/ Italeri Sd.Kfz. 231 at HLJ for about $25.00...it comes with a metal barrel....add another 10.00 for shipping and it's still an excellent deal. The dollar is very strong against the yen right now so you can get some amazing deals from Japan.

U.S. buyers really need to look into buying from some of these Asian hobby companies. The deals...especially on Tamiya and Fine Molds kits are fantastic.

My building time is limited so give me a good cheap kit with Tamiya upgrades anytime.

I do, however, agree that they need to upgrade, i.e. new molds, the Kettenkraftrad kit. The old one is still great for newcomers to the hobby and kids.

Jeff
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bilbobee said
Quoted Text

and Ironmike said
Quoted Text

OK. These two (Sdkfz 231 and Kettenrad) aren't stellar. But did you praise Tamiya when these were released/announced?

M10 Tank Destroyer
M4A3 Easy 8 Sherman
M51 Sherman IDF
M40
SU-76
AMX-13
M50 Sherman IDF
Mark IV Male
Somua S35
BT-7
New Jagdpanzer IV
New Elefant
New Panther ausf D
New Jagdtiger
New ISU-52
New JS-2
Gama Goat
New Nashorn
Tusk M1A2
Type 10 JGSDF tank
Valentine (upcoming)

And most of these were stellar, top of the line, almost shake and bake sorts of kits. Tamiya can compare their releases over the last 3 years with any company's output and feel proud.

I've been out of the loop for a year or so and M50 IDF release from Tamiya would be a must buy for sure. I haven't been able to find any information on that kit, was it cancelled? Is there a link to the release announcement?
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bilbobee said
Quoted Text

and Ironmike said
Quoted Text

M10 Tank Destroyer
M4A3 Easy 8 Sherman
M51 Sherman IDF
M40
SU-76
AMX-13
M50 Sherman IDF
Mark IV Male
Somua S35
BT-7
New Jagdpanzer IV
New Elefant
New Panther ausf D
New Jagdtiger
New ISU-52
New JS-2
Gama Goat
New Nashorn
Tusk M1A2
Type 10 JGSDF tank
Valentine (upcoming)

I've been out of the loop for a year or so and M50 IDF release from Tamiya would be a must buy for sure. I haven't been able to find any information on that kit, was it cancelled? Is there a link to the release announcement?

I think he meant the M4A1 Super Sherman. No M50 from Tamiya yet, but I am really hoping they make one.
Shermania
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:01 PM UTC
Ok, no wonder:) i looked around and found nothing regarding a Tamiya M50 XD

Images of dragon M50 kept showing up in google searches
 _GOTOTOP