_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Somewhere in A´stan
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow - that is really cool!
Nice work!

Thanks Mike!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 08:47 PM UTC
It looks cool and you did a great job on it, but it is not very realistic. Even SF guys lock up their weapons in a secure arms room or at least in weapons racks when they are not using them. They are not displayed on peg boards or laid about haphazardly. This is especially true in an area where they would take a prisoner. If that guy got loose, he could quickly and easily grab a variety of weapons. That would not be a desired outcome.

Some examples of deployed SF arms rooms.

In a secure facility on weapons racks.

A less secure facility, still on weapons racks.

Field-expedient arms room w/out racks. Still in a secure facility.

Or in a deployable arms room container.

Also, many of the weapons you have on the board are obsolete and/or were not used, but only tested. It looks like you took the Dragon M16/AR15 set and used most of the weapons from it, many of which are older/not used.
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Gino!

Thanks for your post. I don't what you mean about the obsolete weapons. They're not from any dragon kit. They're from Live Resin. In the load/unloading area I have displayed 2 Mk.17s, 2 HK416 and one M4. Quite actual weapons I think. Maybe in the repairing board are the old weapons you said? It's true that there are 2 Stoners, a M79 and a SAW over the bench, but at this time I think that the Stoner is the only outdated weapon. That's why I set them at the repairing area.

Please, I'd appreciate any correction about the weapons if I'm wrong. I know that many of you are veterans, so that first hand info is very valuable.

Cheers!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 - 07:53 AM UTC
I'm talking about some of the ones on the board in this pic.

The two on the far right are M16A2 LMGs, which were only tested and are not used. The M79s and Stoners are no longer in service either.

The bigger issue is that the weapons are all over the place and not properly stored.
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm talking about some of the ones on the board in this pic.

The two on the far right are M16A2 LMGs, which were only tested and are not used. The M79s and Stoners are no longer in service either.

The bigger issue is that the weapons are all over the place and not properly stored.

Thanks for your answer, Gino. As far as I know M79s has been used in Iraq in the last years. Is it true?

About the weapons not properly stored you´re right, I know, but imagine a dio with the prisioner, the SF operators and a container full of weapons. Just a container. It would be a poor scene.

I don´t think that the prisioner could grab a weapon being blindfolded and surrounded by 4 badass guys

Thanks again for your clarifications.

Cheers!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:08 PM UTC
It's your dio, you can do what you want with it. Just don't try to bill it as anything near accurate.

SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's your dio, you can do what you want with it. Just don't try to bill it as anything near accurate.

I never did. If you have read all the process, I never said something like that. In fact, I have taken another dio as reference, not a real scene.
Chestercopperpot
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC
HeavyArty, I don't think he once tried to 'bill it as anything near accurate' and going off your first photo of supposed SF secure facility weapons racks, it seems they are also into using bright pink weapons. Loads of them about I bet. It might be British SAS Landrover Pink Panther pink tho....

Give the guy a break.
Removed by original poster on 10/22/17 - 01:38:39 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/22/17 - 01:40:47 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 10/22/17 - 01:42:48 (GMT).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 06:44 AM UTC
As I don't visit often any more, a friend sent me a link to this thread and asked for my thoughts.

First off, your name and the "feel" of an SF team room led me to believe you were an 18D until I saw that you're in Spain. Nicely done.

Except that you are WAY off base - where is the beer? Every team house has beer. CONUS, OCONUS - makes no difference.

We wouldn't use a vending machine either - it wouldn't last a week. We use coolers, so we don't have to expend energy or bullets defeating the locks...

Note also the weapons. While deployed they are stored near our personal spaces, NOT in an arms room. You can see my cot on the left. Locked up weapons are about as useful to SF dudes as a boat anchor is to a NASCAR driver.

Same held true in Iraq:

The earlier photo in this thread of an "SF deployed arms room" (with the pink AR furniture) is clearly not in a COP or FOB in Afghanistan. I've never seen a team house there made of cinder block. Team houses tend to be of local construction, or commandeered structures.

This was my team house in Rabiah, Iraq - an old warehouse with CHU's in the rear. Work spaces, gym, interpreter quarters all made with local materials.

Note coolers and freezers for steaks and beer in this photo:

The wooden structure directly behind the freezers is the arms room. As you can see, not very secure - just a place to store all the guns and ammo we can't fit in our CHU's.

Here's our MWR room. Believe it or not, this is where "tactical questioning" often took place. No bad guys ever got away from us and managed to turn our guns on us.

By the way, you were spot on with the TV and the sofa:

Obviously, no two team rooms are exactly the same. Each takes on the character of its team, whether it be a HALO, SCUBA, CIF team, etc... But every team room's theme is weapons. They are the tools of our trade.
The team room of the ODA in Tal Afar had it's own share of weapons, again just laying about:

Oh my... the one above is even STILL loaded.

We use and teach whatever is available, so nearly anything goes. And yes, a few ODA's used M79's, cut down. One even had an M4 stock. If I find the photo I'll post it.

And "trophy" weapons are indeed hung up, so if you want to change your hanging weapons to "trophies" you won't be wrong. I've seen it in many team houses.

It's incorrect to say we wouldn't use this or that. Again, we'll shoot anything if it suits our purpose. This is a civilian HK 416 I had in Iraq:

Your ATV is a nice touch too. We used four and six wheelers:

So yes, your team house passes muster for me at least - an actual SF dude. Keep calm and build on!
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:59 AM UTC
I love the dio. Lots of detail.

Amazing that the guy with all the "right answers" doesn't say a word of advice until it's done.

G
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As I don't visit often any more, a friend sent me a link to this thread and asked for my thoughts.

First off, your name and the "feel" of an SF team room led me to believe you were an 18D until I saw that you're in Spain. Nicely done.

Except that you are WAY off base - where is the beer? Every team house has beer. CONUS, OCONUS - makes no difference.

We wouldn't use a vending machine either - it wouldn't last a week. We use coolers, so we don't have to expend energy or bullets defeating the locks...

Note also the weapons. While deployed they are stored near our personal spaces, NOT in an arms room. You can see my cot on the left. Locked up weapons are about as useful to SF dudes as a boat anchor is to a NASCAR driver.

Same held true in Iraq:

The earlier photo in this thread of an "SF deployed arms room" (with the pink AR furniture) is clearly not in a COP or FOB in Afghanistan. I've never seen a team house there made of cinder block. Team houses tend to be of local construction, or commandeered structures.

This was my team house in Rabiah, Iraq - an old warehouse with CHU's in the rear. Work spaces, gym, interpreter quarters all made with local materials.

The wooden structure directly behind the freezers is the arms room. As you can see, not very secure - just a place to store all the guns and ammo we can't fit in our CHU's.

Here's our MWR room. Believe it or not, this is where "tactical questioning" often took place. No bad guys ever got away from us and managed to turn our guns on us.

Obviously, no two team rooms are exactly the same. Each takes on the character of its team, whether it be a HALO, SCUBA, CIF team, etc... But every team room's theme is weapons. They are the tools of our trade.
The team room of the ODA in Tal Afar had it's own share of weapons, again just laying about:

We use and teach whatever is available, so nearly anything goes. And yes, a few ODA's used M79's, cut down. One even had an M4 stock. If I find the photo I'll post it.

And "trophy" weapons are indeed hung up, so if you want to change your hanging weapons to "trophies" you won't be wrong. I've seen it in many team houses.

It's incorrect to say we wouldn't use this or that. Again, we'll shoot anything if it suits our purpose. This is a civilian HK 416 I had in Iraq:

So yes, your team house passes muster for me at least - an actual SF dude. Keep calm and build on!

@18Bravo, thanks for these amazing pics, they are true refpics, very useful. Sorry about the beer , it´s stored on the vendings.

About my nick, it´s my airsoft team´s callsing, and my role (I´m the medic). We´re 5th SFG reenactors.

Again, thanks for all the info you have provided and for the pictures.

Best regards!!!
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Same held true in Iraq:

I didn't know alcohol is allowed.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 08:21 AM UTC
Nacho,
Thanks for your kind comments in your PM. I managed to find a few more photos which might be interesting to you. The first is "foo gas", a nasty homemade napalm with a kicker charge at the bottom of the barrel. Four barrels of it are daisy chained and designed to shoot across each face of our house - providing a nasty greeting to any unwanted guests. It's hard to tell in the photo, but they ere emplaced at about a thirty degree angle:

The next two are photos of the concrete rafters in our building. You can see a block of C4 attached to the underside and each side of the rafters - every single one in the warehouse, These were daisy chained together with det cord, and also chained to the weapons stored "haphazardly" in the wooden structure from my previous response. Det cord ran through all of our spare fifty cal. barrels, a few Dishkas we had, and to our excess demo. (the stuff that we kept tripping over in our hooches)
The plan was simple. Initiators were strategically placed around our house, but not in any locations where nefarious prisoners might find them. We rationalized that if we needed to set off the foo gas, the situation was probably grim. The charges would completely level our house, and anyone unlucky enough to find themselves inside of it.

Our SHTF plan was revised after we were hit with two French 2.75 inch rockets one morning, which barely cleared our outer wall and struck our house. Fortunately they did not touch off our demo. We took it all down that day.

While our preparations for being overrun may have smacked of paranoia (a heightened case of situational awareness) the threat was very real. Our house COP (combat outpost) abutted the Syrian border. Railroad tracks ran right past our house, and routinely trains would lumber by from Syria, with riders jumping off as we watched.

This photo shows the tracks and the 12 foot wall surrounding our house. The steel door within the wall could be kicked in by any corn fed SF dude. You can also see on the left the tower from the ATV posted earlier. The stone house you see in the photo actually formed part of our wall, and housed a family whose father brought water to our cisterns when we needed it.

Sometimes we gave the kids ice cream:

And often I would eat with the Iraqi recce platoon who rolled with us, and whose house was right next to ours:

It pays to make friends. Those very Iraqis shot up a 7,000 pound VBIED on its way to our house (the road in the photo leads to our house) and the driver detonated it before he could reach us.

It leveled the police station, heavily damaged the train station (off to the right of photo) and cracked the walls of our house to the point that I never slept under those concrete rafters.

Aftermath of VBIED damage to surrounding area:

So there's a little more about our house - which they did finally manage to level after the next ODA RIP'ed us.

Again, love your dio. I want to do a similar one someday of our house in Afghanistan when life slows down, only showing other aspects of our lives, such as our jail house gym.

SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 - 09:50 PM UTC
Wow, wow, wow!!! These are freaking cool pictures!!! It's so amazing to see how live and how you prepare your "home". Again, so good pictures.

Thanks for sharing. I' ll keep it for my records.

Keep you safe!!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 08:12 PM UTC
Nacho,
A couple of things that occurred to me:

That milk crate under the table - you could put a sheet of paper on the side of it that has "BURN" written on it. We had exactly such a box in our team room.

And that prisoner figure you have comes straight from the set inspired by a few of my friends. Check the figures against the photos in this thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/263353&page=1#2229969

You'll see they are exactly the same dudes.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:00 PM UTC
I like it ..... looks like you had fun building it and your level of and attention to the details are evident. I think the accuracy thing is pretty well buffed rebuffed and ya nuff said LOL. Wish I had half the skills to make a dio like this! The fact that it has been SF approved... pretty much means you rocked it! I only ever got to see an OFFICE space at the camp I guarded in Iraq for about 2 weeks, but judging from the pictures of the arms, I now know why the desks we used were made from ammo cans of all sizes and calibers LOL. Only thing I could think of thats missing is maybe a "hot box" for the prisoner? Place I was at had 20 of them lined up outside. might be a cool afterthought
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nacho,
A couple of things that occurred to me:

That milk crate under the table - you could put a sheet of paper on the side of it that has "BURN" written on it. We had exactly such a box in our team room.

And that prisoner figure you have comes straight from the set inspired by a few of my friends. Check the figures against the photos in this thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/263353&page=1#2229969

You'll see they are exactly the same dudes.

Rob, yes they are!!! As you see, I changed their status from AMF to SF guys.

I don't know which milk crate you mean. The brown ones or the black box? The black box is full of dollars.
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like it ..... looks like you had fun building it and your level of and attention to the details are evident. I think the accuracy thing is pretty well buffed rebuffed and ya nuff said LOL. Wish I had half the skills to make a dio like this! The fact that it has been SF approved... pretty much means you rocked it! I only ever got to see an OFFICE space at the camp I guarded in Iraq for about 2 weeks, but judging from the pictures of the arms, I now know why the desks we used were made from ammo cans of all sizes and calibers LOL. Only thing I could think of thats missing is maybe a "hot box" for the prisoner? Place I was at had 20 of them lined up outside. might be a cool afterthought

Brian, thanks for your kind words!! The hot box would be a nice touch, but I have no room for it. In fact, a friend of mine were going to make an adjacent dio with a playground with basket courts, gym and some more spare time gear. Maybe a hot box would fit. But I think he has gave up.
El_Patron
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 07:46 PM UTC
Nacho, this is El_Patron, puto. I could do the adjacent playground, but I would need some refpics or schematics of components disposition in the scene.

By the way, hello everyone. I am the guy whose picture is next to UBL´s in Nacho´s diorama. I also play airsoft and I am crazy in love for model and dioramas. I would tell you more of me in another post.

Thanks and best regards.
 _GOTOTOP