_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Review
Takom: T29E3 U.S. Heavy Tank
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2017 - 08:31 PM UTC

Matt Flegal reviews the Takom offering of the T29E3 U.S. Heavy Tank in 1/35th scale.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:24 AM UTC
A neat piece of US armour history nonetheless. What a beast, and you've got to wonder about the rangefinder being exposed like that.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 03:37 AM UTC
If it had been deployed it would been deadly to anything on tracks, I'm glad to see more attention being made to Allied heavy armor. I'm looking forward to this kit.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Armorama: 1,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 04:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the review, glad to see the option of the mantlet without the cover!
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2017 - 09:06 PM UTC
One of these prototypes sat in front the the old Detroit Tank Arsenal for decades, I drove by it hundreds of times. I will have to get this kit just for nostalgia's sake. I wonder what happened to that and the other tanks on display.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thank you for the review. How plausible would it be to use a chrysler cupola and some M-48 sprockets along with T97 tracks?
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 06:56 PM UTC
I don't know that the T97 tracks would fit with the roadwheels unless you were to set them further from the hull?
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know that the T97 tracks would fit with the roadwheels unless you were to set them further from the hull?

I am planning on using spacers on the axles so as to get the roadwheels at the proper distance.

But now that I saw the Hobby Boss offering I am thinking of building this kit as is and upgrading the Hobby Boss T29E1.
iakarch
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 421 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 12:34 AM UTC
Any idea when it's going to hit the streets?
armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 02:05 AM UTC
I was really really excited about these releases as I've been wanting one in plastic for a long time but not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed that the tracks are link and length and not workable. I'll sit this one out until someone like fruli makes a set... or just roll with the hobbyboss as I think they did workable on theirs
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was really really excited about these releases as I've been wanting one in plastic for a long time but not going to lie, I'm a bit disappointed that the tracks are link and length and not workable. I'll sit this one out until someone like fruli makes a set... or just roll with the hobbyboss as I think they did workable on theirs

Don't know who does the better T29 Takom or HB but HB will be releasing the E3 and their tracks are supposed to be workable.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:03 AM UTC
I think I'll get the Takom kit and try to trade those tracks for the Hobbyboss tracks.
CowboyfromHell
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:59 AM UTC
Spending few hours on HB T29E1 tracks, I would like to say it's not practically workable. Yes it bends and flips, but do not expect the flexibility you've experienced with the metal tracks such as Friul or other "good" workable tracks. Personally I like the Takom's whole lot more. It's much easier and quicker to build, and the outcome looks quite great as well.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Spending few hours on HB T29E1 tracks, I would like to say it's not practically workable. Yes it bends and flips, but do not expect the flexibility you've experienced with the metal tracks such as Friul or other "good" workable tracks. Personally I like the Takom's whole lot more. It's much easier and quicker to build, and the outcome looks quite great as well.

There is really no "need" for workable tracks on US vehicles for the most part...they are supposed to be properly tensioned are "live" track unlike Panzer IV or Soviet vehicles, which you see with slacked tracks.
armourguy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Yeah I've seen the sprue pics of the bronco links for the pattons / pershings and they make the AFV club tracks look easy (which Ironically I was able to use but are far too time consuming for me as each end connector needs to be sanded in order to not break the track pad pins).

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but, I literally despise this style of tracks for tank models, and hated them since the 90's. I was glad that the industry was moving away from them in favor of rubber or workable for a long time. So like I wrote earlier I'll just wait and see if / when fruli makes a set or get two Pershing sets and mod the duck bills from the kit's to fit the fruli end connectors... either way there is no way in hell I'm using the stock takom tracks.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:23 AM UTC
So, I got my copy of the HB T29E1 today. I'll get a review submitted this weekend but overall its not bad. Takom's kit has finer detail, a slightly better cast texture, gets some subtle contours around the turret and bow MG a bit more right, and has a significantly better rear deck. However, HB has better tracks both in detail and construction. It also has better turret hatch detail. On its own, its a solid kit and it's the only option for a standard T29. Really, the biggest failing is the engine deck louvres. Frankly, it cost me $35 from Luckymodel and I think the kit is worth it just to harvest the tracks for the Takom kits. I don't like length and link but the bigger issue is the track end connectors. The HB ones do not have the indented linkage but it doesn't have the smooth oval bulge which will need to be removed. At first glance the turret looks like HB closely followed the Hunnicut drawings which get the turret rear curvature wrong.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 02:52 PM UTC
Am I the only one who thinks the road wheels are too close to each other? They should be close, but not that much. The HB kit has wider gaps between them. Just my two cents...
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I the only one who thinks the road wheels are too close to each other? They should be close, but not that much. The HB kit has wider gaps between them. Just my two cents...

??? He doesn't have any photographs of the model with wheels installed . . . How could anyone tell?

KL
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How could anyone tell?

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/02/new-items-on-show-from-ammotakomkinetic.html#more
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 03:35 AM UTC
I think I agree with you Paul:

Although I think the photos are of different variants, I don't recall any mention of the wheel spacing being different between them, I would be happy to be corrected however. I'm not cancelling my order for the E3 though!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Matt!

I must say I dont really care that the tracks in Takom T29s bother me, they look like quick builda and are mostly hidden thats fits together nicely!.
On the other hand, Tracks as Trump made, are just half-tracks for me: I get bored after finishing one side ie. half of the links and am so bored, I start building some other model:(

Wheels spacing must be thrown off by the diameter being too large?

Only other comment from me would have to be about upper front armour plate: it has some strange curvature in its upper edge just in front of driver's and assistant driver's hatches... just where did they get this shape?

Cheers,
Greg
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:26 AM UTC
There is definitely a difference between the HB and Takom wheel spacing.

ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:29 AM UTC
The more I look at it, the more I think I'm going to use the shapeways connectors with the HB tracks.

JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC
Are the HB ones really that bad Matt?
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2017 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wheels spacing must be thrown off by the diameter being too large?

That's a good question. The suspension wheel tires should have a 26-inch outside diameter, .743 or 18.87mm in 1/35. Perhaps Matt would be kind enough to check the two kits.

KL
 _GOTOTOP