_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Photobucket seems to be angry
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
I received a notice from Photobucket that they are angry because I have been using them to post pictures here and I haven't been paying them any money.

I have been using Photobucket for over 10 years. I guess I should read the Terms of Service.

So anyone have any suggestions for a new photo hosting service or should I pony up for a paying account.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:16 AM UTC
Photobucket has switched to a paid hosting service. Don't pay for the full service, just switch to using Imgur, which is free and quite simple I find.
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thank you.

I need to download my photos first.

Fotki did the same thing.

Imgur? I'll give it a thunk.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you.

I need to download my photos first.

Fotki did the same thing.

Imgur? I'll give it a thunk.

I'm far from an expert, or even a novice in these matters, but I've been seeing what Photobucket has been doing to others in the modeling world, not just here but at all over the net. I was just about to take the plunge and join the rest of you in posting on Photobucket when all this happened. So I've been seeing the opinions of others on this topic, and heard that Imgur is a little unfriendly for those of us living in the US, I don't know if that's true or not. I've signed up for Image Shack, and have a Flickr account-- (but cant figure out how to use it). Can anyone state which is the best-- or perhaps list the pros and cons of the various photo services so a Luddite like me can make a decision? Is there an "idiots guide to photo posting" somewhere? I mean one that addresses the pros and cons of each service in relation to Kitmaker?
VR, Russ
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:32 AM UTC
They sent me an email today; even though I deleted all my pics (didn't have that many to begin with) and closed my account. Classified them as junk email. I went with imgur and haven't had any problems. I tried checking their fine print and didn't see anything about posting pictures of bits of glued together plastic so I guess I'm okay so far.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:34 AM UTC
Russ,
I was using the bucket for almost 10 years and I just switched to IMGUR. Very easy to use. No probs so far !
J
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...heard that Imgur is a little unfriendly for those of us living in the US, I don't know if that's true or not.

What was said about that?
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:12 AM UTC
Yep, PB really put the shaft in my build logs, all blank pics. I shut my account down too and will check Imgur, but I'll pay a bit to avoid this again.

Posting a link to a pic on PB is worthless and doesn't work when you're working a build log. Guys want to see the pic, not the friggin link.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC
dropped the 'now pay us!' photobucket for imgur today. initial reports are positive.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...heard that Imgur is a little unfriendly for those of us living in the US, I don't know if that's true or not.

The exact post is in the endless string of posts about photobucket problems here at Kitmaker. I don't recall who sent it, but it was questioning wether Imgur would be easier to use because it's based in Europe. I don't claim to know about these things, but I would like to know if a location outside the US has anything to do with anything. I'm a pretty seasoned world traveler, and don't have a problem with overseas businesses, but It would be nice to know if ths a factor before signing up. Any input on this?
VR, Russ
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 07:28 AM UTC
I visit and lurk a bunch of different modeling sites and it's amazing how many threads have been wiped out with this PB mess. Lots of great material lost but I hope those modelers will take the extra step to replace that stuff if they can through another platform.
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 08:09 AM UTC
Ok, it's getting clear as mud now Gents. This article states that Imgur forbids third party sharing. Boy, I got more research to do.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650637/photobucket-alternatives/
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, it's getting clear as mud now Gents. This article states that Imgur forbids third party sharing. Boy, I got more research to do.

So the people linking their new imgur accounts to the web site - how long before they get busted then?

Imgur will have to notice all these new accounts dropping in and linking in opposition to those terms of service.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So the people linking their new imgur accounts to the web site - how long before they get busted then?

Imgur will have to notice all these new accounts dropping in and linking in opposition to those terms of service.

Ok, thats what I was talking about-- the "no third party sharing" thing. And guys, I'm a real Luddite who lived in the 50s, so please bear with me-- I'm trying to join you all with my posts, which I've done on other sites, but Kitmaker seems very difficult to use without one of these photo sharing services--- so which one is the easiest site to use, that won't be in danger of kicking us out? I haven't been able to get past the Flickr first page without going bonkers -- in my day, we published directions-- I guess that's old fashioned now! I've signed up with Image Shack but stopped there when I heard about Flickr and Imgur.
VR, Russ
27-1025
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Missed all that stuff when I checked into it. CRAP!!! I guess I'll give Flickr a shot and see how it goes.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 12:21 PM UTC
It seems to me that any and potentially all of the photo sharing sites will follow this path in the end. They run their business based on ad revenue, and when you link to photos elsewhere, no one sees the ads, so no ad count, no revenue.

The only ways, I believe, are to host your photos here on the Kitmaker gallery (Jim has an interest in maintaining it so the threads stay intact), or in something like your own Microsoft OneDrive (Hotmail) account where you get quite a big chunk for free, and again the contract says it's yours for your storage with few if any conditions, or, as a few people might, host them yourself on something like a NAS box that you need to leave on all the time, a hassle, but at least it will be yours... Kitmaker gallery is probably a no brainer, and not hard once get you used to its foibles.

young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 01:47 PM UTC
Sadly this may end up in a situation where many modellers eventually only post on facebook since it is so easy to upload pictures directly. I use both Facebook and these forums for my pictures/bloggs (using Photobucket for image sharing on the forums, its working so far but I guess not for much longer), but in the future with all this mess that might make the situation impossible.

Perhaps Armorama (and more of these sites) would consider allowing direkt upload of pics, just like FB (i.e. no image sharing from an image database).?
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The exact post is in the endless string of posts about photobucket problems here at Kitmaker. I don't recall who sent it, but it was questioning wether Imgur would be easier to use because it's based in Europe. I don't claim to know about these things, but I would like to know if a location outside the US has anything to do with anything. I'm a pretty seasoned world traveler, and don't have a problem with overseas businesses, but It would be nice to know if ths a factor before signing up. Any input on this?
VR, Russ

It doesn't matter where the business is located, it will have servers all over the world.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 03:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sadly this may end up in a situation where many modellers eventually only post on facebook since it is so easy to upload pictures directly. I use both Facebook and these forums for my pictures/bloggs (using Photobucket for image sharing on the forums, its working so far but I guess not for much longer), but in the future with all this mess that might make the situation impossible.

Perhaps Armorama (and more of these sites) would consider allowing direkt upload of pics, just like FB (i.e. no image sharing from an image database).?

I find it much too difficult to post on here . I gave up trying!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:03 PM UTC
For me the best is if Armorama allowing direct upload like FB or like others forums already does...end of the problem
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For me the best is if Armorama allowing direct upload like FB or like others forums already does...end of the problem

I think everyone would like that... I wonder if in the end it is just going to be a necessity for sites like this. I am guessing that buying off the shelf solutions that do this may not be that cheap. No idea how complex a coding job it is to do one's self, in java I guess. Over to Jim...

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:04 PM UTC
Is it possible that Armorama could have it's very own version of PB??
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it possible that Armorama could have it's very own version of PB??

John, not being funny, but you did know about this already?

http://photos.kitmaker.net/

I guess you mean "more like" PB?
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:37 PM UTC
Problem with KitMaker is the limited size of the user gallery. And while you can in theory upgrade it the payment for that does not work unless a credit card is involved. I do not have, want or need a credit card (German so I have EC/Maestro that works better around here) so that way is sadly blocked
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 05:41 PM UTC
One other problem,unless I just got it wrong,is that when I try to get a picture uploaded,I have reduce it to 800×600.When I posted it somewhere else,it shows up pretty small.
 _GOTOTOP