_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bumper Markings - Korean War Shermans?
GreenBooRay
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 05:04 AM UTC
I'm building a Korean War dio with an "Easy 8" Sherman.

I know that US infantry regiments in each Infantry Division had an organic tank company assigned to them with the platoons often cross-attached to its battalions.

My question: What were the bumper markings for these organic tank platoons / companies? Specifically, I'm looking for the organic tank company assigned to the 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division. (Don't think that it would be the 64th Armor Bn, which was part of the 3rd ID).

Your help, info or references will be most appreciated!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 05:54 AM UTC
According to the 64 AR Regiment official history:

"In 1950, the 64th Tank Battalion was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division, and deployed overseas for combat operations during the Korean War. The 64th Tank Battalion fought in the Battle of Kumsong Salient, and Company A was awarded the US Presidential Unit Citation for its bravery and heroism."

This was an M4A3E8 from 64 Tank Bn, "Skeeter Hawk". It has 3I 64^ on the left and A 14 on the right.

This is one of the marking options in the Asuka/Tasca M4A3E8 (35023). It is missing the bumper numbers though.

Markings also available in 1/35 from Star Decals. Again missing the bumper numbers. The second set of marking on this sheet is for a tank from 3-15 IN.

gmat5037
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 07:38 AM UTC
Have you seen this page? Some good info about bumper codes with a list of tanks in units in Korea, 1 Jan. 1951.

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a376w/m4a3_76w2.html

Grant
GreenBooRay
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thanks Gino.

64th Armor was the 3rd Inf Div's organic (regularly-assigned) tank regiment (as it was when I served in the 3rd ID from '70 to '73 in Germany.

What I am searching for is the designation / bumper marks for the organic tank companies assigned to each of the 3rd ID's Inf Regmts (7th, 15th and 65th) during the Korean War.

Thanks again,

Steve
GreenBooRay
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 - 11:11 PM UTC
Grant,

Thank you SIR!! This is exactly the info that I was looking for!!

In one of the photos it showed an "Easy 8" Sherman in Korea with the bumper #s "7-32-I...Δ 21"; which is Tank 21 of the 32nd Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division or, tank #1, 2nd platoon, 32d Inf Regmt, 7th ID.

My dio is going to be one of the tank platoons from the 7th Inf Regiment, 3rd Inf Div...that received a Distinguished Unit Citation for their actions at Segok (Hill 717) in June-July '51.

Just an FYI: I served as the UN Security Force Commander (USASG- JSA at the time) at Pan Mun Jom in 77-78. Very interesting tour!

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Steve

_GOTOTOP