Hosted by Darren Baker
What's next for Vietnam War Modelers?
justjohn
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 08:18 AM UTC
My wish list is 1/35 brown water navy ships in styrene!
TheoBraat
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would very much welcome an all new
M108
M109 early

Then some M113's based on AFV Club's ACAV kit;
M132 Zippo
M113 with M74C turret
Aussie M113 with T50 turret
M163 Vulcan
ARVN M113 with large mg shield
M557

All with decent interior, please

Actually, I do not really mind if these come from aftermarket firms, but I see a good job for AFV Club

Hello Theo, you already got the M108 3d printed available

I am aware of your set, thank you. MR Modellbau also do one, if I am not mistaken.
But I would like to have one with an interior
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here-here, John!!!! I couldn't agree with you more, brother!!! Decades later, I still love that Tamiya released a styrene PBR Mk II.

For me, the Navy PACV or Army ACV is a styrene Holy Grail!! Seeing Monitors, an ASPB, Tango Boats, a PBR Mk I, any of the smaller SEAL boats such as the STAB, French Riverine boats, or even stryene sampans would all be fantastic!

Even an LCM-6 --- the landing craft that many of the larger River boats are based on --- from Italeri would be a good start.

Fingers crossed one day... Until then, Masterpiece Models is the resin answer to many of the Riverine boats on the 1/35 Wish List...

Recently started reading Sgt. Ed Eaton's "Mekong Mud Dogs" about his experiences with the 9th Infantry Divisions operations in the Delta, many of which were in conjunction with the Brownwater Navy... So far so good!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
oldtanker
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 03:35 AM UTC
What about the tree crusher, there were only two there. I saw one protected by four ACAVs, but nobody seem to know about them, except it did scare the hell of me when I saw and got close too it. It is hard to find anything on it. what do you think? Oldtanker
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d73n9j/the-monstrous-tree-crushers-the-us-military-used-to-level-vietnams-forests
paulie100
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 04:20 AM UTC
Think Ive got some photos of these somewhere, one monster vehicle :-)
tayc
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 07:30 AM UTC
G’day, although it may be very “niche” as a subject, I’ve always been hopeful of an Australian Army International Harvester Acco 4x4 truck becoming available in styrene (1/35 scale). Quite a few variants (both in 4x4 and 6x6) saw service with the Australian Army in Vietnam.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

New tool M107 & M110 kits
M76 Otter
new, better M50A1 Ontos
1/32 or 1/35 UH-1D and AH-1G helos
More grunt figures, early war Army and Marine, with the correct differences between each like the stateside sateens and black combat boots, early USMC flak vests and M14s....
Affordable base camp accessories....and diorama scenery....and someone PLEASE tell Trumpeter to start making their M16/M16A1 rifle set in 1/35 again!!! PLEASE?!?

Hi, people!

How about a 1/35 USMC UH-34D Helo, and maybe US Army, US Navy and US Air Force equivalents of same..? All-new updated "Mule"- The DRAGON kit IS a bit dated... Yes, no, maybe..?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G’day, although it may be very “niche” as a subject, I’ve always been hopeful of an Australian Army International Harvester Acco 4x4 truck becoming available in styrene (1/35 scale). Quite a few variants (both in 4x4 and 6x6) saw service with the Australian Army in Vietnam.

AGREE, wholeheartedly!!! Oh, and Australian Troops, PLEASE!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 07:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here-here, John!!!! I couldn't agree with you more, brother!!! Decades later, I still love that Tamiya released a styrene PBR Mk II.

For me, the Navy PACV or Army ACV is a styrene Holy Grail!! Seeing Monitors, an ASPB, Tango Boats, a PBR Mk I, any of the smaller SEAL boats such as the STAB, French Riverine boats, or even stryene sampans would all be fantastic!

Even an LCM-6 --- the landing craft that many of the larger River boats are based on --- from Italeri would be a good start.

Fingers crossed one day... Until then, Masterpiece Models is the resin answer to many of the Riverine boats on the 1/35 Wish List...

Recently started reading Sgt. Ed Eaton's "Mekong Mud Dogs" about his experiences with the 9th Infantry Divisions operations in the Delta, many of which were in conjunction with the Brownwater Navy... So far so good!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

Yeah-yeah!!! Definitely needed!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heya, Folks!

Looks like we are back into a real groove for Vietnam War-related kits... We've got imminent release of multiple Sheridan kits from Tamiya and RFM as well as an LVTE-1 (YESSSSS!) and LVTH-6 from Amusing Hobby and AFV Club, as well as an M132 Zippo track due from Dragon...

We've also seen the release of the AFV Club M113 and M54 (hang in there, Jim!), the Roden M37 light truck, Dragon M67A2 flame tank and M48 AVLB, and I think, a Dragon M728 (is that out yet?), and probably others I am forgetting.

Great times for the Vietnam War Modeler!!

So what new AFVs or soft skins would you like to see next in 1/35th scale?

There are still lots of subjects to cover in plastic, some realistic, others more wishful thinking (PACV/ACV, Riverine craft), but for the moment, I am sticking to more "realistic" i.e. more likely to be kitted subjects.

Here is my 1/35 scaled short list.

1. Rome Plow
2. Centurion RAAC tank retriever/ARV
3. USMC M51 tank retriever
4. M53 / M55 SPGs
5. USMC grunt figures!!!!
6. M578 Recovery tank
7. NVA Type 63 amphibious tank
8. AH-1G Cobra attack help

Almost forgot:
9. Brown Water Navy crew (no web gear).
10. Army and USMC Artillery crew.
11. M548 Flamethrower Fuel/service vehicle.

Okay, maybe that list wasn't so short...

Of course, there are other kits I'd like to see reissued or new tooling (M109, M110 SPGs, M88 (with interior), LVTP5 (with interior), Aussie M113.

What are yuse guys looking for in this realm?

Looking forward to the new year, getting some kits built, and seeing what new subjects are going ta be released.

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

I also agree with Johnny! USMC Grunts! Also US Army ones- ALL in Jungle and "high-grass" settings, or "Search and Destroy", if you will. Also need 'em all in "casual" poses, i.e, eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. You guys get the idea, don't you? I've been wanting the same for US GIs and Marines during WWII & Korea, as well. Waffen SS were NOT the only ones who ever fought in a war...
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 - 07:38 AM UTC
We need a totally new tooled m107 / m110 platform, so we can finally be rid of the Italeri/ Tamiya junk. AFV needs to do a very early M109/108 as well. The Toyota duce and a half was common, but no kit? My holy Grail would be the M56 Scorpion!
There was also a very small bulldozer that would be nice. Lastly; all these fancey gun trucks, refueling trucks, and some others never left sight of Highway one. We need the water tanks, rubber blivits, and Mogas fuel drums. Real Marsden plate would be nice, as it was more common in the north than psp.
Guess we could go on for days and weeks!
Gary
Durruti
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 08:57 PM UTC
Look on "Germania-Figuren.eu"
Under Vietnam, there have a lot of civil vietnames.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 05:22 AM UTC
PACV !!!!
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi all,

It would be great to see some more Vietnam era 'Brown-Water Navy' vessels in 1/35th scale to accompany the, now venerable, Tamiya PBR. If Tamiya or Italeri issued 'Programme 4/5' vessels based on the Landing Craft Mechanised MK 6 Mod 1 (LCM (6)) hulls they would have plenty of scope for variants, e.g. troop carriers - both with and without helicopter landing platforms, monitors - both conventional guns and flamethrowers, and command and control vessels.

As an aside, I was disappointed to see that the Seaforth Publishing's book 'ShipCraft 26: Riverine Craft of the Vietnam Wars' seemed to be cancelled, or at least postponed. I had mine on order with Amazon, but they cancelled the order after many months of waiting.

Cheers, ,

G
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 09:54 AM UTC
Somebody commented on the H34 chopper. The marines started using them while everybody else used the Huey. It was later learned that the H34 had a good bit better range over the Huey. That's why SOG used them so much.
* I'd like to think that by now we'd be seeing an M48 with a dozer blade! I'm not positive, but I think the Aussie's used a dozer blade on their M113's down in II-Corp. Kinda hope that AFV will do the M106 mortar track, and then somebody do a conversion to remove the 4.2" mortar and replace it with an 81mm mortar. It was fairly common to see this conversion. I saw a couple M577's with somekind of an outrigger tent on the rear. Be kinda neat!
* My want in a boat is a Nasty Boat! An 80 foot boat without torpedo tubes and some seriously neat crew served weapons. There were a few based out of Danang that raised hell all the way to Haiphong harbor. Run by SOG, and driven by Norwegians. Crews were ARVN and Nungs. Why we can't get a kit I just don't know. They also experimented with Florida air boats, and guess they worked pretty well in the marshes.
* Aftermarket folks need to make generic engineer's stakes! Tons of them! Were used in just about every base camp. Bomb fuse cases are another item you saw a good bit. Similar to the 40mm cases in shape. How about a 1/35th scale set of wing tanks? Plus that fancy little radio that SF and SOG used!
* still waiting for the promised M114, and a radar guided 57mm Russian cannon. Myself, I want a ten ton wrecker really, really bad!
gary
alchemymike
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 192 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 01:12 PM UTC
M-50 Ontos .... AFV Club
M-52
M-53
M-55
M-56 Scorpion
Thomas_
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 06:22 AM UTC
hi all

when we are talking about M52
what's about the trailers?
M127 flatbed
M131 fuel

cheers
Tom
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC
To repeat my comment at the beginning of this thread, what about the Braille Scale enthusiasts? In particular, we need some decent 1/76 or 1/72-scale figures in realistic poses, to replace the polythene figure sets (which are really only suitable for wargaming).

Paul
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

M-50 Ontos .... AFV Club
M-52
M-53
M-55
M-56 Scorpion

I don't have a clue what the M52 is, but I did see ONE M53 broke down on the side of Highway One. We stopped to offer help, and the said it was the last running one they knew of. Up near Phu Bai they brought in a battalion of M55's and by 18 months all were gone. They traded them for towed 105's, as they M55's were always broken. That was late 1965 or early 1966. I saw the M53 just be Tet in 68.

Virtually all Marine heavy arty were Army units operating with Marines (M110/M107 platforms). If you look at photos you will often see U.S. Army still painted on the hulls. I had orders for one of those units, but never got there.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2020 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi all

when we are talking about M52
what's about the trailers?
M127 flatbed
M131 fuel

cheers
Tom

by mid to early 1967, virtually all ammo was shipped by Chinook. That is unless you were within eyesight of the division ammo dumps. There were not many good roads ten miles west of Highway One, and most of Highway One was gravel anyway (or dirt). I never saw fuel delivered by land except once. Then it was a fifteen minute drive to an open field to fuel up a CAV unit. Most of the time it was rubber blivits. Water tankers were delivered daily by air to the fire bases, unless once again you were close to a big base with a water purification plant. By close, I mean five miles.
gary
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 01:58 AM UTC
v100 USAF Security police APC
m 50 ontos new and retooled !
brown water navy boats
new figures all branches
all 1/35th
Thomas_
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an aside, I was disappointed to see that the Seaforth Publishing's book 'ShipCraft 26: Riverine Craft of the Vietnam Wars' seemed to be cancelled, or at least postponed. I had mine on order with Amazon, but they cancelled the order after many months of waiting.

hi G
have a look here
Tom
Thomas_
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

by mid to early 1967, virtually all ammo was shipped by Chinook. That is unless you were within eyesight of the division ammo dumps. There were not many good roads ten miles west of Highway One, and most of Highway One was gravel anyway (or dirt). I never saw fuel delivered by land except once. Then it was a fifteen minute drive to an open field to fuel up a CAV unit. Most of the time it was rubber blivits. Water tankers were delivered daily by air to the fire bases, unless once again you were close to a big base with a water purification plant. By close, I mean five miles.
gary

hi gary
i was thinking about transportation units.
If you like to build Gun Trucks, some day you like to build tractors and semitrailers.
Tom
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

hi gary
i was thinking about transportation units.
If you like to build Gun Trucks, some day you like to build tractors and semitrailers.
Tom

the only tractor trailers I know of (in use) were down by AnKhe on black topped roads. I did see a gasoline tanker try to make the trip from Danang to Chu Lai once. He got about half way. I'm certain there were other places using them, but not in I-Corp. We had five ton trucks and a couple duce & half's, but they never went more than two miles past the wire. Most of the time it was a half mile trip to the air strip.
We got a brand new M54 gun truck in late February 69. Still shiny and had that new car look. 36 hours later it was CBL'd! We did recover the quad fifty off it, and used it all the time. I wouldn't go near it during a probe as it was just a center of attention getter.
gary
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 11:10 AM UTC
In 2 and 3 corp they ran a lot of convoys. I was on one from Long Binh to Boa Loc pass in 3rd corp and we convoyed from Nha Trang up to An Son outside of Qui Nhon. The trans units ran a lot of convoys between Qui Nhon and Pleiku. Wayne